Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Front end feels very squirmy at speed.

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
JimBob78

Post by JimBob78 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:04 am

Have you got the same tyres on the back? The dsc is incredibly sensitive to different tread patterns, if they're are different then it could throwing thr sensors out, try swtching it off completely to see if things improve.

Sgr74

Post by Sgr74 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:16 am

JimBob78 wrote:Have you got the same tyres on the back? The dsc is incredibly sensitive to different tread patterns, if they're are different then it could throwing thr sensors out, try swtching it off completely to see if things improve.
Zz5's all round. Putting it in sport mode helps a bit.
Black 2.5 Roadie.

DashBedrock

Post by DashBedrock » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:12 pm

I had this exact same issue after changing from run flats to Michelin Sports. A four wheel alignment sorted it.
As for the sports button helping, I never drive mine without it on. Just wish there was a way to have it set to sport mode by default.
Andy

Sgr74

Post by Sgr74 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:33 pm

Tracking getting done on Thursday. Fingers crossed.
Black 2.5 Roadie.

d3matt

Post by d3matt » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:48 pm

Mine is very squirmy at the front end at speed - scarily so sometimes.
After reading this thread, I called in to get my tracking checked this afternoon. The report showed every wheel was out in all directions - so much so, all the staff had a look at it, as if it was the worst they'd seen. They did say that it was sort of typically for a BMW.
But after struggling with it, they couldn't free off the trackrod ends (I think my terminology is correct?), even after heating them up. I suspect its never been done in the vehicles 13 year life. The result was I now need to get the trackrods changed before they can have a second go. Its getting done on Monday now.
Last edited by d3matt on Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Post by patriot66 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:41 pm

I've had 3 sets of Avon ZZ5s on 2 different cars and I seriously doubt that they are what is making your Zed feel squirmy. Unless, as Mr Wilks says they have been mounted incorrectly. My Zed is fitted with a full 18" staggered set of ZZ5s and I am running the handbook/door sticker recommended pressures of 2.1bar/30psi front and 2.3bar/33 psi rear. I've never felt the need to raise/lower these pressures. Also I had Hunter 4 Wheel Alignment done when I changed to 18" rims shod with the ZZ5s. My car is an SE but is fitted with M - Sport springs. All other suspension components are standard. I've never had any issues and I know it's a cliché but 'it handles like it's on rails'...not a hint of squirm ! :thumbsup:
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

JimBob78

Post by JimBob78 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:56 pm

d3matt wrote:Mine is very squirmy at the front end at speed - scarily so sometimes.
After reading this thread, I called in to get my tracking checked this afternoon. The report showed every wheel was out in all directions - so much so, all the staff had a look at it, as if it was the worst they'd seen. They did say that it was sort of typically for a BMW.
But after struggling with it, they couldn't free off the trackrod ends (I think my terminology is correct?), even after heating them up. I suspect its never been done in the vehicles 13 year life. The result was I now need to get the trackrods changed before they can have a second go. Its getting done on Monday now.
Exactly the same for me, adjustment bolts basically welded, why dont they grease and fit a boot??

Sgr74

Post by Sgr74 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:41 pm

I've started to really like the word "squirmy". I'm going to use it more now.
Tracking getting done this afternoon. Will update later.
Black 2.5 Roadie.

Sgr74

Post by Sgr74 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:06 am

Front alignment checked. All good. Although, the left side front wishbone bush is goosed. Also they checked the back. Oh dear. It read -1 on one side and 9 on the other. There is evidence of damage on the rear drivers side. So it will be bush change then hunter 4 wheel alignment. The fun continues. :(
Black 2.5 Roadie.

Sgr74

Post by Sgr74 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:46 pm

Could the problem be the power steering?
Black 2.5 Roadie.

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:01 am

Sgr74 wrote:Could the problem be the power steering?
Have you had the wheels re balanced at a different place or are they still as they were ?
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

Sgr74

Post by Sgr74 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:53 am

mr wilks wrote:
Sgr74 wrote:Could the problem be the power steering?
Have you had the wheels re balanced at a different place or are they still as they were ?
They do seem reluctant to do it. Up to 60mph it's fine. Then it feels like I have to keep correcting it, very slightly. It's hard to describe the feeling through the wheel. Just slightly loose above 60. Very annoying.
Black 2.5 Roadie.

d3matt

Post by d3matt » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:59 pm

I had my steering tie rods replaced this morning, then went and got my tracking done. They still struggled with the tracking and got it as close as possible and in their words "close enough".
Then later I've driven the car for 1.5 hours and WOW, what a difference. The car handles soooo much better. I'm no longer having to constantly make micro adjustments in the steering to keep straight and no scary moments now. The difference is amazing. I would have never thought that tracking could effect the car so much. The car is also smoother and more comfortable - akin to going from 18" wheels to 17".
The car now handles like a Z4 should, which is all new to me as I've only every driven mine and I didn't know any better. I'm gobsmacked.
Clearly the tracking was very bad on mine and had probably never been adjusted in its 13 year lifespan. But I'd recommend everyone to get their tracking checked now for the little it costs, as the difference in handling could be great....plus even tyre wear etc.

I went to Silverline in Warwick as they have a 4-wheel laser system. They only charged me £36 as they couldn't adjust the back wheels up enough, so only charged me for the check and front wheel adjustments. The rears had run out of adjustment.

Ed Doe

Post by Ed Doe » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:08 am

As I said - first port of call for handling issues has to be alignment! Makes a world of difference to have the car set up properly - I get mine done immediately following any replacement tyres - makes the tyres last longer and means the car doesn't have long periods to fall out of specification :)

Glad its sorted, and just in time to enjoy the start of spring too 8)
Carbon Black '07 M Coupe: Intrax 1k2 Coilovers, AP-Racing, Raybestos ST45s, Tillets, Schroth, Vibratechnic, Apex EC7, Strongstrut, Eventuri, H&S, RTD, 4.1FD :evil:
Silver Grey '06 3.0si Coupe - SOLD :(

Sgr74

Post by Sgr74 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:57 pm

So, went to kwik fit of all places as it was closest one open on a Sunday morning. Re balanced the front wheels. One side was 55 grams out. The other side was 35 grams out. Problem solved. Although I have found another oil leak.
Time for a new tread I think.
Black 2.5 Roadie.