Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Wash after wax?

Claying, polishing, waxing... share your secrets in here.
Kingfisher

Wash after wax?

Post by Kingfisher » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:27 pm

What's best for washing when the car is all waxed up and looking perfect with no hint of swirls anywhere? Just like glass with no marks at all just a very deep shine. At the moment I'm just using 2 x buckets of cold water and a wash mitt followed by a light chamois off. I'm loathe to use anything that makes bubbles in case it takes the wax off but is there some whizzo stuff on the market which won't affect the wax? .... Ta for any suggestions ... :)

Edit: Just noticed a similar post further down ... I'm also using Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection after washing but on top of I know not what ... it was perfect when I collected it!
Dec 2014 ... E89 35is sDrive M DCT ... Red ... :driving:

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Wash after wax?

Post by buzyg » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:27 pm

I fear OCD is catching on this forum :wink: :thumbsup:

Buckz

Wash after wax?

Post by Buckz » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:51 pm

Wax won't get removed with car shampoo.. don't use leather to dry either, bad old school​ way of doing things. Stick with a proper drying towel.

I use snow foam or citrus pre wash on my cars and then two bucket method and quick detailer at the end.

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Wash after wax?

Post by Nanu » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:48 pm

Maguires Gold Shampoo is good stuff
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Wash after wax?

Post by Smartbear » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:38 pm

+1 for a quality microfiber drying towel over a chamois leather :thumbsup:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

LordOxygen

Wash after wax?

Post by LordOxygen » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:18 pm

Nanu wrote:Maguires Gold Shampoo is good stuff
+1

I've been using that for ages now, excellent stuff and doesn't strip wax.

Sgreen

Wash after wax?

Post by Sgreen » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:21 am

Use a small handheld leaf blower for drying off the car, that way eliminates potential scratches when drying your car, especially if any debris falls on the car after washing but before drying. Also gets the water out of those numerous hard to dry places :)
Supra twin turbo, great in a straight, rubbish around twistys
NSX, pretty cool but no heated seats and can't get top down
Z4 23i sdrive, now gone, got the wrong car, need more power.
Z4 35is loved and missed
Z4 M40i one word sums it up Wow!

scooobydont

Wash after wax?

Post by scooobydont » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:07 am

As others have said, bin the chamois and get a micofibre drying towel, you will not look back. I use poorboys super slick and suds shampoo but most dedicated shampoos will not have the strength to lift the wax.

You can use a quick detailer to top up the wax but need to be careful to avoid creating any scratches when applying, again micro fibre clothes are the way,spray on, wipe and buff off. Just ensure your bodywork is squeaky clean beforehand.

There are a million and one different shampoos, quick detailers and waxes out there, no 2 people use the same :D

All you will ever need and more can be found on here:

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/index.php

Its a great resource.

lordgrover

Wash after wax?

Post by lordgrover » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:34 am

Kingfisher wrote:... At the moment I'm just using 2 x buckets of cold water and a wash mitt followed by a light chamois off. ...
I think water alone won't provide enough lubrication and will do more harm than a nice sudsy wash with a decent car shampoo.
As others have said, chamois is far from a good choice - ideally a warm air blower but a little extravagant for most of us :lol: . Realistically a couple of waffle weave mf towels and a leaf blower should do the trick nicely.

ETA. You may find this interesting too: https://youtu.be/oWnbAxhjgrE
Last edited by lordgrover on Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kingfisher

Wash after wax?

Post by Kingfisher » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:00 pm

buzyg wrote:I fear OCD is catching on this forum :wink: :thumbsup:
Yes, strange isn't it? I've got a perfectly nice Jaguar which was a lot more expensive than the Z4 yet I'm not the least bit obsessive about that one! Maybe it's because I drive the Jag all the time and save the Z4 for occasions ... daft anyway! ... :?
Oh, and I've just ordered a Meguiar's drying towel.

JAD

Wash after wax?

Post by JAD » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:22 pm

lordgrover wrote:
Kingfisher wrote:... At the moment I'm just using 2 x buckets of cold water and a wash mitt followed by a light chamois off. ...
I think water alone won't provide enough lubrication and will do more harm than a nice sudsy wash with a decent car shampoo.
As others have said, chamois is far from a good choice - ideally a warm air blower but a little extravagant for most of us :lol: . Realistically a couple of waffle weave mf towels and a leaf blower should do the trick nicely.

ETA. You may find this interesting too: https://youtu.be/oWnbAxhjgrE
OHT is for when the car is well protected. It won't work that well if you've not got a decent, hydrophobic top coat on.

Buckz

Wash after wax?

Post by Buckz » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:26 pm

Kingfisher wrote:
Yes, strange isn't it? I've got a perfectly nice Jaguar which was a lot more expensive than the Z4 yet I'm not the least bit obsessive about that one! Maybe it's because I drive the Jag all the time and save the Z4 for occasions ... daft anyway! ... :?
surely it depends on the person? some people make sure they care for their paintwork/cars 100% others do the bare minimum of manufacturers servicing and fixing things that break and drive with swirled up paint and are happy.

same way some people wear socks with holes in them and others don't ;)

I am very much ocd about my cars/things in general and if something doesn't look/sound right I'll be on it instantly whereas other people I know simply blank/ignore it and are happy.

Bing
Legend
Legend

Wash after wax?

Post by Bing » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:21 pm

Wash with Megs, then rinse with water run through some of this : http://www.cleaningspot.co.uk/acatalog/ ... tml#SID=29

...in one of these, which just goes between the tap and your hose : http://www.cleaningspot.co.uk/acatalog/ ... tml#SID=29

Or just buy a full one : http://www.cleaningspot.co.uk/acatalog/ ... tml#SID=29

And you will need one of these to re-fill it : http://www.cleaningspot.co.uk/acatalog/ ... tml#SID=29

Best £100 I spent on a cleaning product, without exception, though needs £70 spent every two refills. Each refill lasts me about 5 months as I only use it for one car and the windows of the house occasionally.

You rinse the car as you wash with perfectly pure water so you do not need to dry with anything except air, as it will not leave watermarks even on the hottest summer day until the sand starts to go off (which you can monitor with a cheap water purity meter : http://www.cleaningspot.co.uk/acatalog/ ... tml#SID=16).

If you need to polish and wax the car use a small blower as suggested and then you literally have to tickle the car with a clean microfibre cloth.

One of the main reasons I love it is because it cuts down the time it takes to clean the car by a huge amount, especially in the summer when unfiltered water dries, leaves watermarks, and then needs quick detailed or polished/waxed to get rid of them. And it helps to preserve paintwork, of course.
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

Kingfisher

Wash after wax?

Post by Kingfisher » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:01 pm

Buckz wrote:
Kingfisher wrote:
surely it depends on the person? some people make sure they care for their paintwork/cars 100% others do the bare minimum of manufacturers servicing and fixing things that break and drive with swirled up paint and are happy.

same way some people wear socks with holes in them and others don't ;)

I am very much ocd about my cars/things in general and if something doesn't look/sound right I'll be on it instantly whereas other people I know simply blank/ignore it and are happy.
Oh dear!

GAZA62
Lifer
Lifer

Wash after wax?

Post by GAZA62 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:01 pm

As above get a good drying towel and when drying the car spritz the panel with some QD helps the towel glide.

Re using EGP this goes under your wax not on top.
T.SILVER 2004 3.0SE AUTO

IF IT WAS NOT FOR BAD LUCK I'D HAVE NO LUCK AT ALL