Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Cooper BMW - Chelmsford UK - UTTERLY USELESS!

Whether it's exceptional service or a bad experience, post them here. (Disclaimer: posters views are their own and not that of z4-forum.com)
Adam D

Cooper BMW - Chelmsford UK - UTTERLY USELESS!

Post by Adam D » Mon May 19, 2008 6:17 pm

This may end up being a rant.... appologies in advance. :fuelfire:

My Z4 was booked in for its MOT today and also (on my understanding after calling the service department several times) for the DME engine management software to be upgraded to hopefully cure my surging under light throttle loads between 3-3.5 krpm.

When I get there I am helpfully informed that they won't just do the software update and must do a full diagnostic, I ask to speak to the technician who states "we have to follow BMW procedure and diagnose the fault and that programming could take 2-5 hours depending on the car and that they can only advise how long it really will take once its started". I inform them that this was not what I had been told on the phone and how I have taken a day off to get this all sorted, to be reasonable I asked if any courtest cars were available however these are all booked out for the next three weeks... this is a BMW garage with ~ 150 cars laying around in the car park, surely one is spare... heck I'll take a demonstrater. I was also pissed that they cannot give me a fixed price for the software update, apparently you plug it in and let it upgrade - I fail to see how I am charged £125 + VAT per hour for a procedure that is carried out by a computer and doesn't require a techinican to work on for this full time. :headbang:

So off it goes for MOT.... 2 hours later I walk back to the service desk and I am told it has failed on the front tyres. I take exception to this and ask to be shown the tyres, I had measure these the previous week and had 3/4 mm across the central band and the wear markers still had yet to be touched. Upon seeing the tyres (potenza re50a's 225/40/18 on the front) it is clear that negative camber is causing more wear on the insides. It is somewhat debateable if this is below 1.6mm as it is hard to measure at this point and the tyre design has no wear markers in this area and only small slash cuts unlike the central band. I am then told that they don't have any in stock and that I could leave it there for upto 10 days to be fixed by them (giving them time to get the tyres).... remember I have no way to get 15 miles home and no courtesy car available. The failure notice says that if I remove the car from the premises it need to come back for testing in 24 hours.... now bridgestone RFT's are somewhat hard to come by and it would be awkward to get another day off from work. I concede the point with their service manager (I had got a bit grumpy by this point and demanded his presence) and try to find a way forward suggesting do they have michelin pilot sport 2 ZP's in stock.... he said he would go look however I told him I will speak with parts myself....

Its a good job I did as in doing so I find out they actually have the correct bridgestone in stock, yet 'somebody has misfiled them on the computer under the RE050 non asymetric item'.... at this point I am suitably annoying at their incompetance.. there prices are also ~£50 overpriced per tyre but I do not have much choice in the matter if I wish to get my MOT and tyres sorted today.

So I tell the service manager to fit them and negiotiate the cost (they even managed to quote a different price from what I was told by thier own parts guy - they are far to reliant on computer prices and don't have a fecking clue what they are doing!).

At 16:00 my car is finished... It was booked in at 11am and I receive no phone call to tell me it had failed whilst I was out for lunch... nor did the service manager try to investigate and solve the issues for me.

£563 later I have an mot and new front tyres (oh and a free wash woo hoo :rofl: ).

Thankfully they thought they would change £40 for the diagnostic printout - nothing found wrong (yet was quoted £24 ????) and £22 to re aim the headlights which wouldnt have been touched since last mot and were fine then.... utter robbing CNUTS!!!! :headbang:

To really make my day, when going through the paper work and invoice I spot that there are several advisory notices from the MOT which has not been communicated to me. Apparently the front discs are below the manuafactures max wear and the front pads are worn and the rear pads need 'replacing ASAP'.... This was the straw that broke the camels back and I lost it, I loudly announced how can my car pass an MOT if the front discs are worn beyond the manuafactures limits and the rear pads need replacing ASAP... I am helpfully informed this is a grey area and since the brakes worked fine on the brake testing meter they passed.

I wonder how this would look if I had an accident and it was found that my discs were worn beyond bmw limits yet it passed the MOT, since I wasn't even told about this I didn't even have an option to suggest they change them.... not that they are going to get any business from me - particularly when quoted over £300 for front discs and pads alone (fitted), are they gold plated or being fitted by the sultan of brunai himself?

Avoid them if you can... the chuckle brothers have more finess and certainly better manners.
Silver Grey 2007 Z4MR which needs to be driven more :evil: :P :cool: :D :thumbsup:

easty027

Re: Cooper BMW - Chelmsford UK - UTTERLY USELESS!

Post by easty027 » Mon May 19, 2008 6:53 pm

One hell of a good rant, but it needed to be said for sure. Some dealers are complete dipshits !.

Im still completely confused on the logic of giving you poor customer service, then presenting you with a bill for an unbelievable amount of money. You might as well have gone into the dealership with your pants down !

gannet
Lifer
Lifer

Post by gannet » Mon May 19, 2008 10:22 pm

that just isnt on mate. how can they misfile tyres!

Don't think Id being going back to them after that episode either!
-- Gannet.
Current: MINI JCW... - Modification: Driver Upgraded :D
Previous: DS3 DSport, Z4 3.0SE, 206 GTi & XS, Alfa 147 Lusso

Curtis

Post by Curtis » Tue May 20, 2008 1:26 am

That's why I gave up going to the dealer. Nowadays I prefer someone who knows what they're doing and screw the BMW service stamp. Dealer service stamps should just read "SUCKERED!!"

GAZA62
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GAZA62 » Wed May 21, 2008 7:24 pm

Thats just criminal i would have blown a gasket you are right to want to rant about it.

Thank god i know a very good mechanic who looked after my last car for 9 years and she ran like a dream and he now works for BMW :D
T.SILVER 2004 3.0SE AUTO

IF IT WAS NOT FOR BAD LUCK I'D HAVE NO LUCK AT ALL

Adam D

Post by Adam D » Sun May 25, 2008 12:08 pm

Following on from my last rant in the general section this dealership has now replaced the incorrect valve free of charge and the manager will be discussing the whole matter with me after the bank holiday.
Silver Grey 2007 Z4MR which needs to be driven more :evil: :P :cool: :D :thumbsup:

DAN///M

Post by DAN///M » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:55 pm

Hi,

As you can see I'm a newbie, bought a Z4MR a couple of weeks ago (not from stealer), was very happy with spec and price, only downside being it only had one key. So, off I go to my local garage (Cooper Chelmsford) to order a new one. Now I thought I'd have to show some proof the car is registered in my name, but was told to bring logbook etc when the car comes in, sorted.
Next thing I know its the Friday before it's going in and I get a phonecall from the service dept saying I know need to take in the documents before they can even order a key, but as it would then be Saturday it may be too late for it to arrive before the appointment Monday afternoon, great.
Anyway off I pop Saturday morning with my documents, am taken over to parts dept to order key and guess what...now I need the full V5 before I can do this! I had the V5C/2 in hand (new keepers supplement) which the bloke who booked me in knew was all I had, and even with every document under the sun; cert of insurance, copy of tax disc, driving liscense etc they woulndn't order it.
Now why was I not told this before firstly I booked my car in, and secondly when I brought in the documents on BMW's request?! :headbang:
I've now had two wasted trips (the fact I enjoyed every second of the drive in the ///M is not the point!), now have to wait 3 weeks to get in on a Saturday, and am generally just p*ssed off!

The only conclusion I can come to is that as Adam D said above, they must be the younger, less intelligent brothers of Barry and Paul Chuckle. :fuelfire:

What a lovely rant to start my membership off with! But it has to be done, so your all aware of their incompetence.

Dan.
///M Z4MR, Space Grey, Black Nappa, Prof Sat Nav, and the list goes on!

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:39 pm

I have made a formal complaing to BMW GB once about service levels (not your dealer), but since then, every time the car has been in, BMW GB calls me the next day to ask about my experience. They also organised a good will cheque for £250.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Mattt

Post by Mattt » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:25 pm

Mine is in at the moment.

They've made many errors before, be interesting if they can get this right.

Adam D

Post by Adam D » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:51 pm

Mattt wrote:Mine is in at the moment.

They've made many errors before, be interesting if they can get this right.
I'm crossing everything for ya mate, Fairfields light on sea are now also on my s**t list.