Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Picked up a Hardtop today.

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
JBZ4

Picked up a Hardtop today.

Post by JBZ4 » Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:04 am

Found a sweet deal on a used hartdtop.
Having a fellow Z forum member finding the top for me, and helping me get it home PRICELESS. Thanks to JackB1!!!!!!!

AlanL

Post by AlanL » Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:46 am

Hehe - reminds me of selling off my S2000 hardtop to someone with a red S2000. He drove off happy as a clam with his new hardtop and all I could think of as he drove away from my house was how bad the mismatch was with the silver top on his red car.

Nice score - please post another shot after you get it painted. :thumbsup:

2007 Z4 3.0si Coupe - Silver Gray, Black Extended Leather, Dark Birch trim
Premium pkg, Sports Pkg, M seats, Clear Bra, Heated seats, NAV, DICE, Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s

Aebous
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Aebous » Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:35 am

You know...at least you have a hardtop....with winter coming up I wish I could afford one...
'03 Z4 3.0i manual transmission w/ sports package, interior xenons, wind deflector, Michelin Sport PS3's, cheap big brake upgrade, headlights with black internals and clear lenses, Alutech braces inc horizontal strut bar.
ZEEEE 4

zee42

Re: Picked up a Hardtop today.

Post by zee42 » Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:23 pm

JBZ4 wrote:Found a sweet deal on a used hartdtop.
Having a fellow Z forum member finding the top for me, and helping me get it home PRICELESS. Thanks to JackB1!!!!!!!

That looks like it is in great shape :thumbsup: And they are nice to have in the winter or on those hot humid days in august. did you get the storage cover and stand for It too? They are nice to have. you can check here http://64.225.94.154/ShopSite/page63.html
or the dealer has the one made by BMW for about $290.00. I got mine from the dealer,just felt It was better quality. Comes pre assembled,ready to use. Enjoy It :thumbsup:
I love mine ( well It's not love,I don't sleep with it,take it out on dates and stuff,but I like It a lot ) :wink:

GP20

Post by GP20 » Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:27 pm

I saw the $225 hardtop cart on roadstersolutions but just wasn't able to stomach that much money for a few pieces of metal. :(

I ended up buying a different one from ebay for $100 that's actually very nice and works very well, and came with a huge hardtop cover. :thumbsup:

zee42

Post by zee42 » Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:30 pm

GP20 wrote:I saw the $225 hardtop cart on roadstersolutions but just wasn't able to stomach that much money for a few pieces of metal. :(

I ended up buying a different one from ebay for $100 that's actually very nice and works very well, and came with a huge hardtop cover. :thumbsup:
That was also a very nice find GP :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

JBZ4

Post by JBZ4 » Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:50 pm

Thanks everyone. The top is on a forum members Z (JackB1) who found the top and helped me transport it to the paint shop. The top is in pristine condition but had no stand or covers. The price was to great to pass up. It is getting painted this week (Sterling Grey) and I plan to leave it on for Homecoming (I love the look). On another note I plan on attempting the retrofit kit my self. I have done a search (Google, Yahoo etc) and have not found anything remotely usefull. I did find a link to Z4um, but we know where that leads. If anyone can help, please let me know. I will document and add it to our growing list of DIY on this sight. With everyone submitting we should have a good DIY database in short time. The picture is from Memorial Day 07 on the Blue Ridge Parkway, part of a Lake Lure, NC Z tour. [img][img]http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s94/ ... 0136-2.jpg[/img][/img]

zee42

Post by zee42 » Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:21 pm

Glad to help anyway I can....you have but to ask :thumbsup:

JBZ4

Post by JBZ4 » Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:29 pm

I still have not been able to search out any install instructions for the retrofit kit. So I have attempted to try it myself. The good news is that it took less than 30 minutes to do the drivers side, the bad news I do not see any male connector for the rear defroster wire on the hardtop receiver. I do not have the kit, but it is prepped to put it in. I am sure this could be done in an hour if I had tools handy and the kit in hand!

1. I removed the behind the seat large speaker grille.
2. I took out the screws for back panel.
3. I pulled back the door jam weather stripping.
4. I pulled the back panel out a little.
5. There is one torx screw to remove the dummy receiver.

If I can figure the wire out, it would be a huge savings on a BMW Dealer labor charge for me and future top installers. I will take pictures when I do the Passenger side and do a write up to post. Any help on the wire please chime in.

All Pina

Post by All Pina » Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:07 pm

JBZ4 wrote: Any help on the wire please chime in.
IIRC from the hardtop I had on my Roadster S, there should be wire on both sides for the rear window demister. The wires ended in a female spade, with the reciprocal male spade on the holes that that the roof posts drop into.

Also - in your instructions, you don't mention the fitting in the roof above your head (in the middle of the roof where it meets the top edge of the wind screen)? This needs to be tightened using a crank tool.

Not sure is that helps :(
The 3rd chapter in my Z4 odyssey - 35is Melbourne Red, Black Kansas, DCT, 326M 19"s.
Now the 4th chapter - SDrive20i M Sport Manual, Sapphire Black, Beige Kansas, 326Ms

JBZ4

Post by JBZ4 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:47 am

Thanks for the reply, I have all the latching down, it is still the existing defroster wires that are already in the Z that plug into the new hardtop receivers. I need to find the existing plug ins.