Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

EML after hitting rev limiter?

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Easty-5

EML after hitting rev limiter?

Post by Easty-5 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:25 am

I went out for a wee blat yesterday afternoon, all was well, car was running excellent after having it's Insp. II on Friday. However, I was a bit late with a gear change and hit the limiter in second and then the EML came on and the engine sounded like a bag of nails, like it wasn't running on all cylinders. I switched it off and back on again and everything was fine.

So, any ideas what it could have been? Seems a bit coincidental that it's happened right after having my Insp. II. It has never done anything like this before? Perhaps a loose spark plug or coil? I'm going to try and get the codes read tomorrow to confirm it but just looking to see if anybody has any ideas?
07 Imola Red ///M Roadster, fully loaded spec, KW Clubsports, Rogue Rear Top Mounts, Vibratech Engine Mounts, Stromung Exhaust & AFE Intake. Heavenly!

TonyP

Re: EML after hitting rev limiter?

Post by TonyP » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:42 am

Same scenario happened to me after an Insp II service & whilst in the upper rev range too.

Turned out that when the plugs were changed they damaged a coil pack & refitted it with a big part of the insulation missing, I plugged up & read the code as no1 cyl misfire, popped to GSF who had a Bosch coil pack in stock, fitted & problem never came back.

I hope it's the same for you as it's a cheap & easy fix.

sw4nny

Post by sw4nny » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:23 pm

I may be put right on thus but could this be the car going into limp mode to protect itself ,it would do this on my 330ci.if I hit limiter.
After a minute of driving really steady car would come out of limp mode and be fine ,just a suggestion.
E85 3.oi titan silver,Maldives blue E85 3.0i gone but not forgotten

Easty-5

Post by Easty-5 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:39 pm

It definitely went a cylinder down as it was running very rough. When you hit the limiter does it cut the ignition? Just checked the coils and they are all securely in place. Perhaps an incorrectly gapped spark plug?
07 Imola Red ///M Roadster, fully loaded spec, KW Clubsports, Rogue Rear Top Mounts, Vibratech Engine Mounts, Stromung Exhaust & AFE Intake. Heavenly!

CornishRob

Post by CornishRob » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:27 pm

Who did your inspection 2?
Current: 2007 Titanium Silver Z4MC - For Sale End of Feb
Previous: 2002 Land Rover Defender 90

sw4nny

Post by sw4nny » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:39 pm

I can only tell you what happend to me in the 330.
When I was bringing car back from the place of purchase, first real push of the car ,I over reved by accident and hit limiter,
car felt really lumpy to the point of me thinking I had blown the engine ,but after a short while of 20 mph driving, car was back to normal.
When it goes into limp mode it does not cut the engine.just wont let you rev above a certain amount and the engine does feel terrible,
I have also had coil problems in the 330 and these did not recover until they were replaced .
I may be wrong but I believe the 3.0 e85 roadster has the same m54 engine as my old 330ci.
E85 3.oi titan silver,Maldives blue E85 3.0i gone but not forgotten

Easty-5

Post by Easty-5 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:21 pm

CornishRob wrote:Who did your inspection 2?
A very well respected Indy so I can't envision it being an issue with his work. Hopefully just something very simple that's easily overlooked.

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:52 pm

Easty-5 wrote:
CornishRob wrote:Who did your inspection 2?
A very well respected Indy so I can't envision it being an issue with his work. Hopefully just something very simple that's easily overlooked.
Give them a quick call and see what they say.

TonyP

Post by TonyP » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:00 pm

This is what my coil pack came back looking like from a BMW service, how did I know they did it?, because the car had an occasional misfire which wasn't present before the service & I'd provisionally arranged to take the car back to them, but the coil pack then failed before I had a chance to.

Easty-5

Post by Easty-5 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:22 pm

Got the codes read this afternoon. Misfire and fuel cut in cylinder 6. Coil looks fine and obviously spark plug is brand new. We have swapped cylinder 6 & 1 coils around and cylinder 6 & 2 plugs. So if it does it again we should be able to pinpoint if it's a faulty coil.

Zonder

Post by Zonder » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:27 pm

I hit the limiter all the time :roll: and mine never goes into limp mode. I only do it when properly warmed up of course!
06 Black 3.0si Coupé
Mods: Stubby, Black Kidney Grills, Debadged, Full sound system / navigation replacement (in progress), Wrapped interior trims (in progress)

Ed Doe

Post by Ed Doe » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:52 am

Zonder, when you say 'hit the rev limiter' is that the lame excuse for a rev limited the Si has? ie the ecu bleeding the throttle off until it's just making a bit of a noise and sitting at ~7k?

I'm hoping to get this mapped out in a couple of weeks; I understand why it's been put there but god it's lame. The engine wants to continue making power to the redline and it should be up to the driver to change gear quickly enough not to bash the limiter!
Carbon Black '07 M Coupe: Intrax 1k2 Coilovers, AP-Racing, Raybestos ST45s, Tillets, Schroth, Vibratechnic, Apex EC7, Strongstrut, Eventuri, H&S, RTD, 4.1FD :evil:
Silver Grey '06 3.0si Coupe - SOLD :(

Zonder

Post by Zonder » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:19 pm

Yeah the 7k limiter.
06 Black 3.0si Coupé
Mods: Stubby, Black Kidney Grills, Debadged, Full sound system / navigation replacement (in progress), Wrapped interior trims (in progress)