Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Has anyone had their oil analysed?

"M" Specific discussion
Sohailnisar

Post by Sohailnisar » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:51 pm

Hi guys,

I'm hoping to be a fully equipped member soon, after I collect my Z4M Coupe next week - pictures to follow I promise.

I've done my research and investigated the common problems - the seller had it checked out from a local indy, I've been told the rear springs have been replaced and are not cracked, strut mounts are fine etc...

I have, however, been reading about rod bearings failing and this has me a little worried.

So far, here's the deal - I have paid a deposit pending a check at Peter Vardy in Edinburgh. It was due an oil change in November - so I booked in for this, with which I get a free health check.

I rung the engineer to ask if they'll analyse my oil for me to give me peace of mind regarding the rod bearings. He basically said this wasn't necessary as if there was any metal swarf in the oil, the viscosity of the oil and the oil pressure would change - this would cause the CEL to appear. Therefore any oil analysis apart from a visual inspection isn't necessary.

The car has covered 57k miles and I have heard of people having issues around 70k miles - as the car's not far off that I'm worried.

So the question is - should I get the oil analysed before completing on the purchase? If so, how do I go about doing this?
Or should I ask for the rod bearings to be inspected? I'm guessing this will be labour intensive and pricey.

As a side note, is the free health check BMW do as part of the service any good - is it good enough as a pre-purchase inspection? Is there anything else I should specifically ask them to look at?

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:12 pm

Myself and bing on here have had ours analysed by millers.

http://www.millersoils.co.uk/services/oil-analysis

My view is I will do this with every oil change, and changes I can then take a view on.

Can't see anybody checking rod bearings. If you did this you would change them anyway whilst you are there.

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:14 pm

srhutch wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:12 pm Myself and bing on here have had ours analysed by millers.

My view is I will do this with every oil change, and changes I can then take a view on.

Can't see anybody checking rod bearings. If you did this you would change them anyway whilst you are there.
Will you change oil on to Millers Steve or continue on OE stuff ?
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

Sohailnisar

Post by Sohailnisar » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:15 pm

Ah ok, fair enough.

What's the turn around time for this from Millers?

Do you just get whoever does the old change to save you a bit of oil, pop it in a tube and send it off?

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:31 pm

I sucked a bit out the dipstick with a pump just before the oil was changed, but yes easily get some out of the sump during an actual change.

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:33 pm

mr wilks wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:14 pm
srhutch wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:12 pm Myself and bing on here have had ours analysed by millers.

Will you change oil on to Millers Steve or continue on OE stuff ?
Never thought about it and always used OE Castrol. Although BMW have now switched to shell I still took Castrol in for them to use.

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MrPT » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:34 pm

Sohailnisar wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:51 pm He basically said this wasn't necessary as if there was any metal swarf in the oil, the viscosity of the oil and the oil pressure would change - this would cause the CEL to appear. Therefore any oil analysis apart from a visual inspection isn't necessary.
An oil analysis is more sophisticated than just checking for "bits". Having said that, you'd need to check whether the service you use is familiar with the major wear issues with these engines (cam lobes/followers and rod bearing shells).

If it's a good ///M for a good price, it's worth snapping up, regardless - lots of overpriced shabby ones about. Proactive replacement of the rod bearings is still uncommon, so even if you invested in it after the purchase it would still be money well spent.
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:39 pm

MrPT wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:34 pm
Sohailnisar wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:51 pm He basically said this wasn't necessary as if there was any metal swarf in the oil, the viscosity of the oil and the oil pressure would change - this would cause the CEL to appear. Therefore any oil analysis apart from a visual inspection isn't necessary.
An oil analysis is more sophisticated than just checking for "bits". Having said that, you'd need to check whether the service you use is familiar with the major wear issues with these engines (cam lobes/followers and rod bearing shells).

If it's a good ///M for a good price, it's worth snapping up, regardless - lots of overpriced shabby ones about. Proactive replacement of the rod bearings is still uncommon, so even if you invested in it after the purchase it would still be money well spent.
Agreed, I always check my used oil for bearing shells/pistons :P
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MrPT » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:40 pm

Smartbear wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:39 pm
MrPT wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:34 pm

Agreed, I always check my used oil for bearing shells/pistons :P
Rob
You're wasting your time looking in the oil, mate. They'll be in the filter!
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel

VRSteve

Post by VRSteve » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:44 pm

Sohailnisar wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:51 pm
So the question is - should I get the oil analysed before completing on the purchase? If so, how do I go about doing this?
Or should I ask for the rod bearings to be inspected? I'm guessing this will be labour intensive and pricey.
Its people with expectations like this that make me dread selling one of my cars.
///M|Silver Grey|Black Leather|BT|Nav|DSP|Heated Seats|PDC|Stubby|Turner Limiters|Turner Rear Top Mounts|Bilstein B12|Powerflex ARB Bushes|Powerflex Lollipops|M-Track|
SOLD

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:50 pm

VRSteve wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:44 pm
Its people with expectations like this that make me dread selling one of my cars.
:wink: to be fair i would hazard a guess that a majority of M buyers did so with a reticence & hesitance based on internet scare stories so as a newbie ( presumably :? ) to the S54 world you are judging him harshly
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:56 pm

mr wilks wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:50 pm
VRSteve wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:44 pm
:wink: to be fair i would hazard a guess that a majority of M buyers did so with a reticence & hesitance based on internet scare stories so as a newbie ( presumably :? ) to the S54 world you are judging him harshly
When I bought mine the scare was the Vanos. You don't hear much about that now, it's followers and rod bearings.

We only ever hear the worst on here, when everything is fine there is nothing to report of course.

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MrPT » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:57 pm

So true. Must be loads of >100k M3s out that have spent their entire lives doing laps of Tesco car park at 3am.

bradz

Post by bradz » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:38 pm

I kinda agree with getting it checked...

I have just purchased a 62k car... and booked it in to be done, its less than £800. Peace of mind, I know its done then and not going to bite me in the future.

Just my 2p.

I'll post up the condition once its been done.

Adam
Z4M Coupe, E92 M3, E46 M3 Track car :driving:

hopz121
Lifer
Lifer

Post by hopz121 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:47 pm

bradz wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:38 pm I kinda agree with getting it checked...

I have just purchased a 62k car... and booked it in to be done, its less than £800. Peace of mind, I know its done then and not going to bite me in the future.

Just my 2p.

I'll post up the condition once its been done.

Adam
Interested to see the results, what's the history like on the car?

100% worth doing for the cost

:)
2004 BMW E46 M3 Coupe - Manual - Silver Grey
2017 BMW F31 318d M-Sport - Auto - Glacier Silver
2007 Porsche Cayman 2.7 - Manual - Arctic Silver
2003 Renault Clio 172 Cup - Blue
2003 BMW E85 Z4 3.0i - Gone
2008 BMW E90 330i SE - Gone