Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

MRoady pt2 / 115 miles today & the ///Magic is still there

"M" Specific discussion
Steve84N

Post by Steve84N » Thu May 18, 2017 12:49 am

mr wilks wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 8:15 pm
Steve84N wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 8:09 pm I also said originally that it's not an issue, just pulled you up on your facts as CSL is 265. :D
Are we chasing our tails here :D ive never stated CSLs run 255 35 rubber :? I did say that i fitted 255 35 to "wheels" that are the same numbers as CSLs :roll: as in widths /offsets
You said same rubber as gen CSLs, I read that as 255 on CSLs.

I'm more than in agreement for tweaking tyre sizes, I've switched to a 245/40/18 for example on the rear for less understeer and a more accurate speedo.
C63 AMG Estate 6208cc

z4pilot

Post by z4pilot » Thu May 18, 2017 7:35 am

Steve84N wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 12:49 am
Steve84N wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 8:09 pm I also said originally that it's not an issue, just pulled you up on your facts as CSL is 265. :D
Are we chasing our tails here :D ive never stated CSLs run 255 35 rubber :? I did say that i fitted 255 35 to "wheels" that are the same numbers as CSLs :roll: as in widths /offsets

I'm more than in agreement for tweaking tyre sizes, I've switched to a 245/40/18 for example on the rear for less understeer and a more accurate speedo.
So with the matched spacers and the narrower rear tyres, have you noticed significantly less understeer than the standard set up?
Now Gone - 2008 Coupe, Montego Blue, Champagne leather and Piano Black interior, Eibachs & Koni Sport shocks, Style 230 19s, Eisenmann Quad - approaching perfection...

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Thu May 18, 2017 9:45 am

[quote=z4pilot

So with the matched spacers and the narrower rear tyres, have you noticed significantly less understeer than the standard set up?
[/quote]

In all honesty it feels no different & the M in general flatters the average driver most of the time , I would say overall though that compared with previous ZMroady this one is not as surefooted but only by a narrow margin.
I'm putting that down to the Eibachs & I think it's had a "custom" geo in the past & I'm not a fan of tweaking them from factory settings so once I've changed back to standard M springs I will have it reset to standard
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

bmwaddict

Post by bmwaddict » Thu May 18, 2017 10:09 am

mr wilks wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 9:45 am [quote=z4pilot

In all honesty it feels no different & the M in general flatters the average driver most of the time , I would say overall though that compared with previous ZMroady this one is not as surefooted but only by a narrow margin.
I'm putting that down to the Eibachs & I think it's had a "custom" geo in the past & I'm not a fan of tweaking them from factory settings so once I've changed back to standard M springs I will have it reset to standard
[/quote]

Interesting you're going back to standard springs Mr W, can I ask why? Only as I'm doing the same with my MC which is on H&Rs, but as I go down to London regularly it's a nightmare being so low.
Currently zedless :(

'07 Mugello Blue Audi B7 RS4 Saloon with added goodies
'94 Black/Silver/Green Honda CBR400RR
Previous:
'07 Ruby Black Z4MC
'07 Sapphire Black Z4C 3.0si Sport

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Thu May 18, 2017 1:04 pm

[quote=bmwaddict

Interesting you're going back to standard springs Mr W, can I ask why? Only as I'm doing the same with my MC which is on H&Rs, but as I go down to London regularly it's a nightmare being so low.
[/quote]

I love how it stands & looks but imo the Eibachs kill any front end compliance out on the road & by comparison to standard M springs offer zero in terms of enhancement to the cars handling ( I'm talking from my own point of view in regards to the specific miles / driving I do )
I will post up thoughts as soon as it's back on M springs
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

Steve84N

Post by Steve84N » Thu May 18, 2017 1:17 pm

z4pilot wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 7:35 am
Steve84N wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 12:49 am

Yes, it's also been combined with H&R ARBs and custom alignment that has smaller amounts of toe in than factory plus around 1.5 degrees camber front and rear. I noticed an improvement in ride more than understeer with just the tyres. Recently, I had the spacers on the rear but not the front due to tyre rubbing issues and it was noticably more grippy at the rear than the front so it was pushing wide when loaded up. 20mm extra in track width is sizeable and easily noticeable if you're in tune with your car.
C63 AMG Estate 6208cc

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Post by tomscott » Thu May 18, 2017 2:50 pm

Looking great andy!

Love Imola such a great colour, some great pics too :thumbsup:

Glad your enjoying it! My H&Rs were spine shattering but the way it looked :wub: with some extra neg camber on the front understeer was almost non existent and it was so flat in the corners but on a decent hidden dip it would bottom out.

All fun tho! :driving:

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Thu May 18, 2017 4:00 pm

The M I tried a while ago on Eibachs was just awful, too low, bouncy and so crashy, my main thought was if I buy this car it's going back to standard springs on day one, no way could I live with it. It didn't even handle that well, ok it was flat but the steering was heavy, I don't know what the settings were on it but it felt as though it was toeing out way too much, and I don't know what struts it had but still to low and crashy. That was in total contrast to an MR2 I had on Eibachs, that was brilliant on them, they made such a difference for the better, I'd put them on an MR2 now but not an M.
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Post by tomscott » Thu May 18, 2017 4:24 pm

I dont know the standard springs are pretty poor imo. Car is so much more skitish, the ride may be harder on eibachs and H&Rs but the car is miles more composed. I wouldnt spend money going back to OEM springs, plus they arent as hard wearing prone to snapping.

It all about how they are set up. Might be that the dampers are shot also It also helps to get some decent dampers, at the age these cars are most dampers wont be at their best. Mine were past their best and needed replacing really at 63k.

A lot of cars that are put on lowering springs on the standard dampers tend to weep and leak making them less effective and they do that with age and wear anyway. I would invest in both if your going to spend some money.

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Thu May 18, 2017 4:55 pm

Yeah it might have been needing a geo and some new shocks Tom, it was bone crushingly stiff though, too much for me for a road car anyway.

I can't for the life of me remember the guy with the PY coupe that did a great write up on M suspension, was it Exodus or similar? From what I can remember he hated the standard stuff, even saying he wouldn't have an M if it had to be on OEM, the rear needed softening with the front stiffening up, then aftermarket struts and a geo. He made a spoiler for his car etc, long time member that doesn't seem to post anymore, unless I miss his posts obviously. Anyway I'd be very interested to read that again, obviously the M can be improved and I seem to remember his way sounded perfect for how I'd have mine should I keep it. I'm sure he offered to take people out in his saying he could pretty much guarantee they'd want to change components, seemed very much like he knew his stuff.
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Z4M-2006 » Thu May 18, 2017 5:55 pm

The standard spring on the M car albeit longer is actually more stiff then either Eibach or H&R springs ..

The coil wire on the OEM spring is much thicker.... 19mm as opposed to 15/16mm IIRC

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Post by tomscott » Thu May 18, 2017 11:28 pm

Its all personal taste it took me a long time to get used to it as I came from a 3 series which was stiff but still like a cloud compared to the M. The exhaust even with OEM boxes used to give me headaches on long drives for the first few weeks until I got used to it. But looking back wouldn't have changed it and after time thought it sounded too subdued :rofl:

craig3.2
Lifer
Lifer

Post by craig3.2 » Thu May 18, 2017 11:55 pm

It was a nice M coupe you had Tom...hows things mate?
Interlagos Blue M RDSTR,2008. Logic7 dsp Hifi;satnav,stubby,htd seats,etc,etc.
Black 2005 3.0i NOW SOLD(and missed)

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Post by tomscott » Fri May 19, 2017 11:44 am

Good thanks for asking! Moved into the new house and been busy sorting it out decorating etc :thumbsup:

Unfortunately I was burgled about 2 weeks before moving to the new house and caught 2 of them (father and son) in the act and got assaulted. Got most of my wedding photography and Apple gear. I was off work sick and nipped out for 4 mins to get a prescription and they absolutely destroyed the place, my server was thrown across the room, 2 27" apple cinema displays thrown down the stairs every draw and item ransacked. Took about 2 days to put things in order. Was a pretty nasty experience but feel better now were in the new place and I'm seeing it as an excuse to get some new gear and wire the new house to the nines :thumbsup:

Hope things are well with you.

craig3.2
Lifer
Lifer

Post by craig3.2 » Fri May 19, 2017 4:52 pm

That sounds very unpleasant,Tom.
Hope you get over it okay,and enjoy the new house.
All going well,the Insurance company will get you sorted out?

You still in the hunt for another M coupe?

We are all good thanks, getting used to Fatherhood/parenting,lol.
And enjoying plenty of meets,runs in the z still :D :driving:
Interlagos Blue M RDSTR,2008. Logic7 dsp Hifi;satnav,stubby,htd seats,etc,etc.
Black 2005 3.0i NOW SOLD(and missed)