Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

MRoady pt2 / 115 miles today & the ///Magic is still there

"M" Specific discussion
Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:04 pm

Lovely pics Andy - delighted you managed to get your car back for a run this weekend. Bit of a bonus as you now have no painting to do so all of next weekend is free too :D :driving:

Can't wait to get out in mine now rugbybat weekends is nearly done...
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

Cracker

Post by Cracker » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:04 pm

Great looking car Andy, stunning set of pictures for your 1st trip out too :driving:

Imola///MR gaptech/19's/stubby/nav/champers leather/afe intake/rpi exhaust/cruise/bluetooth/carbon dash,areos.

Gone-much loved sterling grey 3.0i

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:16 pm

Cracker wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:04 pm Great looking car Andy, stunning set of pictures for your 1st trip out too :driving:
It is a terrific looking Z but i did feel a little "strange" with the first time out in a red car :? my 7 previous Zs were grey or black & kind of felt a bit " shouty" going through the country villages :cry:
Did you settle with the red straight off or feel a bit " lairy " to begin with ?
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:21 pm

JAD wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:50 am
mr wilks wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:42 pm The car is on Eibachs & sits great visually but imo they do compromise the ride slightly from OEM ( more noticeable on the front )
They just aren't as compliant & any big ridges or holes in the road are more noticeable than they would have been on stock springs
That's interesting, Andy - I was due to have these fitted on Thursday along with a few other bits... suggest not doing so then?
Purely my own thoughts & also reflective of the miles / roads i cover .
You may find no noticeable difference depending how you use your M ?
I certainly wouldn't not fit them purely on my opinion as you will always wonder but my belief is they may enhance the looks but do not enhance the ride , hopefully others may contradict to allay your fears :wink:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti

andysat
Lifer
Lifer

Post by andysat » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:49 pm

Stunning scenery and wheels! :thumbsup:
Gone but not forgotten.
New ride silver e93.

AlfaScozzesi

Post by AlfaScozzesi » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:15 pm

Just another opinion on the Eibachs but I didn't find that it increased any crashes (they were there before and after if you found a pothole) although I felt less compression, bounce when going over / landing (wrong word) over crests and also less roll on turning.

I do think the difference is marginal but it has been a while since I changed over.

I am still running 18" 224 so maybe the Eibachs in conjunction with the 19" wheel make it more pronounced.

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:53 pm

AlfaScozzesi wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:15 pm Just another opinion on the Eibachs but I didn't find that it increased any crashes (they were there before and after if you found a pothole) although I felt less compression, bounce when going over / landing (wrong word) over crests and also less roll on turning.

I do think the difference is marginal but it has been a while since I changed over.

I am still running 18" 224 so maybe the Eibachs in conjunction with the 19" wheel make it more pronounced.
Hard to compare like for like as the ZMcoupe are known to ride harder than the ZMroadster
I do agree on the less compression which being a shorter spring is hardly surprising
If i hadn't covered almost 6000 miles on a MR with OEM springs i doubt i would have noticed any difference , its far from crashy or hard & actually feels exactly like the 3.0Si coupe i just sold on the front when you hit potholes or prominent bumps
It felt great in the bends though so i don't feel the handling has been compromised
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti

paulgs1000
Lifer
Lifer

Post by paulgs1000 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:07 pm

Interesting point about the Red Z. . . only had 2 previous silver and Stratus Zeds and felt that those colours wouldn't attract too much attention being relatively unobtrusive (though the general looks of the Zed did get attention). Steph and I initially both felt a bit more 'obvious' in the Imola - something you can't forget with the colour being within the cab (top of the doors) making it permanently noticeable to us.

Having said that we've noticed traffic tends to get out the way and give up the overtake more regularly when we now come up behind traffic. Before, I always felt folk must be thinking it's just a BMW behind and some were even obstructive - now most seem to recognise it's a sports car and accept the overtake. Or maybe it's just the added performance makes me feel that way?

I do now cover the ///M up when not being used (it's left on our paved parking area at the front of the house) as I don't want it to attract the wrong kind of attention (as well as to protect it). Zeds look to be worth far more than they cost and with a non-dated reg it can look like an exotic. I'm also less likely to take the ///M to town and leave it parked anywhere without consideration.

Basically though I like the colour as it feels more appropriate for a more 'classic' sportcar - just trying to fight the urge to have a couple of white stripes added! :D
Now Porsche flat 6 experience, 986S & 981S.
2006 Z4MR Imola Red/Imola Red, 2008 3.0si Sport Stratus Grey/Piano black, 2006 2.0I Sport Silver Grey Facelift. MX5, TVR Chimaera, many motorbikes.

Argenta

Post by Argenta » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:49 pm

Looks great there, CSL's and all!

I'd second that, my Z4M Coupe became much more comfortable on Eibach springs. And lower! :)

Stu Boy

Post by Stu Boy » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:47 am

Im glad it was worth the wait getting your Zed back Andy, sounds as though you had a great time driving, super pics you have taken there and some of us can only dream of the cracking roads you have up north.
It's intriguing how we all find the Eibach's, I like how the rears reduce the squat at the back and rise of the front you get when accelerating and how it feels more planted. As for the fronts they're ok on nice smooth rut and hole free roads which we don't have, initially they are fine but go very stiff and become crashy (even with the B6's) with little movement, this is why I can't bear them and have taken them off and have standard rates up front. I find the ride completely acceptable now even with the 19' rims. :thumbsup:
2007 Z4 ///M Roadster, Black Sapphire, Nav, Deflector, Eibach's, Bilstein B6's, OEM CSL's 6 Pot BMW Performance Calipers

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:59 am

Interesting that Stu Boy
So are you now running Eibach rears with oem front springs ?
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti

Stu Boy

Post by Stu Boy » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:45 am

mr wilks wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:59 am Interesting that Stu Boy
So are you now running Eibach rears with oem front springs ?
Yes correct
2007 Z4 ///M Roadster, Black Sapphire, Nav, Deflector, Eibach's, Bilstein B6's, OEM CSL's 6 Pot BMW Performance Calipers

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:50 am

paulgs1000 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:07 pm Interesting point about the Red Z. . . only had 2 previous silver and Stratus Zeds and felt that those colours wouldn't attract too much attention being relatively unobtrusive (though the general looks of the Zed did get attention). Steph and I initially both felt a bit more 'obvious' in the Imola - something you can't forget with the colour being within the cab (top of the doors) making it permanently noticeable to us.

Having said that we've noticed traffic tends to get out the way and give up the overtake more regularly when we now come up behind traffic. Before, I always felt folk must be thinking it's just a BMW behind and some were even obstructive - now most seem to recognise it's a sports car and accept the overtake. Or maybe it's just the added performance makes me feel that way?

I do now cover the ///M up when not being used (it's left on our paved parking area at the front of the house) as I don't want it to attract the wrong kind of attention (as well as to protect it). Zeds look to be worth far more than they cost and with a non-dated reg it can look like an exotic. I'm also less likely to take the ///M to town and leave it parked anywhere without consideration.

Basically though I like the colour as it feels more appropriate for a more 'classic' sportcar - just trying to fight the urge to have a couple of white stripes added! :D
I read this with interest Paul - as always you have some very good observations.
I too find I'm given special attention - its not an ///M but your average joe public just sees an 'exotic' red roadster. It gets lots more positive attention than our previous silver Zed, other drivers are,on the whole, courteous and let me out a junctions or allow me to pass etc.
I think many car lovers have an affinity for classic red roadsters, we also lots of excitement from young children too - again I think its the red sports car image.
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

paulgs1000
Lifer
Lifer

Post by paulgs1000 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:28 am

Marlon wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:50 am
I read this with interest Paul - as always you have some very good observations.
I too find I'm given special attention - its not an ///M but your average joe public just sees an 'exotic' red roadster. It gets lots more positive attention than our previous silver Zed, other drivers are,on the whole, courteous and let me out a junctions or allow me to pass etc.
I think many car lovers have an affinity for classic red roadsters, we also lots of excitement from young children too - again I think its the red sports car image.
Yep - it's only enthusiasts that note it's an M, all Zeds are the same to most folk. I like your thoughts on the 'affinity for classic red roadsters' - that's very much how I feel in the Imola; almost takes me back to the an earlier era so you could well be right about the response being down to this :thumbsup:
Now Porsche flat 6 experience, 986S & 981S.
2006 Z4MR Imola Red/Imola Red, 2008 3.0si Sport Stratus Grey/Piano black, 2006 2.0I Sport Silver Grey Facelift. MX5, TVR Chimaera, many motorbikes.

Cracker

Post by Cracker » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:27 pm

mr wilks wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:16 pm
Cracker wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:04 pm Great looking car Andy, stunning set of pictures for your 1st trip out too :driving:
It is a terrific looking Z but i did feel a little "strange" with the first time out in a red car :? my 7 previous Zs were grey or black & kind of felt a bit " shouty" going through the country villages :cry:
Did you settle with the red straight off or feel a bit " lairy " to begin with ?

My 1st choice was an Interlagos Blue, but I couldn't find one close by to look at, test drove a black one but wasn't keen tbh, when I went to see mine I wasn't convinced straight away but I always loved the look of paulgs1000 car, I think I was more concerned with the seat colour against the red (champagne)
I agree totally with Paul the red certainly gets noticed more, my previous was sterling grey.
it's a red sports car, a little cliche yes but I love it. :evil:

Imola///MR gaptech/19's/stubby/nav/champers leather/afe intake/rpi exhaust/cruise/bluetooth/carbon dash,areos.

Gone-much loved sterling grey 3.0i