Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Which exhaust clamps for back boxes

"M" Specific discussion
Adam D

Post by Adam D » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:29 am

Just back from my MOT and it's fair to say that the rear exhaust clamps which fix the back boxes on have seen better days. One bolt head has completely rusted away and they are a bit crumbly but seems gas tight... for now :)

Can anyone who has replaced them offer any advice on where they sourced the parts (oem, after market?) and if there are any other little jobs to do at the same time.

Also noticed a very small oil weep from the pressure sensor plate on the bottom of the sump, again maybe age related and not enough to notice on the garage floor.

Best regards

Adam
Silver Grey 2007 Z4MR which needs to be driven more :evil: :P :cool: :D :thumbsup:

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:37 am

No choice with OEM unless you want to buy a new exhaust.

I used these but from i6 also on eBay when I swapped my rear boxes over. They are you best best and still give adjustment like the originals.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E46-M3-Z3 ... SwHxVW69F2

Adam D

Post by Adam D » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:45 am

Thanks for the speedy reply, just dawned on me that the flanges are part of the system from studying the diagrams at realoem.

I had not planned on changing the exhaust or making it louder, but would be good to know my options.

Will check out the link, do they just chop the old flanges off and bolt on the kit?
Silver Grey 2007 Z4MR which needs to be driven more :evil: :P :cool: :D :thumbsup:

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:56 am

Adam D wrote:Thanks for the speedy reply, just dawned on me that the flanges are part of the system from studying the diagrams at realoem.

I had not planned on changing the exhaust or making it louder, but would be good to know my options.

Will check out the link, do they just chop the old flanges off and bolt on the kit?
The kit is just the clamps. The actual flanges on your pipes/box are stainless, and therefore should be corrosion free. However the corrosion on the OEM clamps can, occasionally damage the flanges, in which case they can either be "rebuilt" by welding and fettling, or cut off and replaced with new.

Mike

D4dawg

Post by D4dawg » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:04 pm

I replaced my o rings and all bolts and nuts from bmw as they seem not like life hahah
Not expensive buddy

Bigpow

Post by Bigpow » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:13 pm

Stainless clamps from eBay Germany :thumbsup: ..
Z4MR - Sapphire black.imola.carbon.19" csl's.