Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Split hose search advice

"M" Specific discussion
Phil-E30

Split hose search advice

Post by Phil-E30 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:29 pm

Afternoon all,

Going out to have a hunt for the issue causing my secondary air flow error code and acceleration hesitation.

I've checked that the black pump works on cold start, and it does, coming on after a few seconds. Therefore I want to check for split hoses and vacuum leaks.

It'd be great if anyone had any suggestions on which hoses to check as good starting points. Just tell me where they are in the engine bay and I'll have a good look!

Thanks
"If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologise."
Muhammad Ali

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Split hose search advice

Post by Chris_D » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:39 pm

take iit you alreadychecked for the main air intake manifold from the air box right through to the throttle body?
that hose part from the MAF to the TB is notorious for splitting at the Y section.....
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

TomK

Split hose search advice

Post by TomK » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:34 pm

Chris_D wrote:take iit you alreadychecked for the main air intake manifold from the air box right through to the throttle body?
that hose part from the MAF to the TB is notorious for splitting at the Y section.....

Not like that on the S54 Chris.

Phil,
There's only one pipe really from the secondary air pump (circled in blue), so obviously check that. It's been some time since I've fiddled with it but from recollection it connects to a valve (circled in red). Pull it off from there and check the pump is actually doing anything would be my first starting point.
BMW_S54B32_Engine_Ink_LI.jpg
BMW_S54B32_Engine_Ink_LI.jpg (62.93 KiB) Viewed 962 times
What is the acceleration hesitation you are referring to? When cold, all the time, etc?
MC[IB], CSL airbox, Schrick 288/280 cams, 4.44FD, UUC SSK, SS race cat back, AP CP9660[F]/5144[R] brakes, Apex ARC-8 with AR-1 or PS5, KW ClubSport 2-way, Turner spherical arms, PMC uniball rtab, VB engine mounts, Rogue pulleys & RSMs, Tillett B6, half cage

Phil-E30

Split hose search advice

Post by Phil-E30 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:32 pm

Thanks Tom, I'll take that hose off and check the pump is doing its job. I also wondered if the valve may be faulty but was unsure how I'd know if this was the case. I really need to get the BMW diagnostic software for the car laptop.

As for the acceleration hesitation, it's pretty much all the time. I plant my foot, it takes a couple of seconds to react and then I can feel the car come to life. It's possibly more pronounced when cold.

Only error codes I've got from my generic reader point to secondary air system.
Muhammad Ali

TomK

Split hose search advice

Post by TomK » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:29 pm

Phil-E30 wrote:Thanks Tom, I'll take that hose off and check the pump is doing its job. I also wondered if the valve may be faulty but was unsure how I'd know if this was the case. I really need to get the BMW diagnostic software for the car laptop.

As for the acceleration hesitation, it's pretty much all the time. I plant my foot, it takes a couple of seconds to react and then I can feel the car come to life. It's possibly more pronounced when cold.

Only error codes I've got from my generic reader point to secondary air system.

Hmmm, that's pretty odd. Not really heard of that symptom before, sounds quite severe :( .
Secondary air pump does nothing after a couple of minutes really so perhaps it's a red herring :?
I think you can check if the valve is working or not by blowing through the hole (where the secondary air pump would blow through) on cold start up, from recollection it alters the revs but I've had a couple of beers and may not be thinking straight :D
MC[IB], CSL airbox, Schrick 288/280 cams, 4.44FD, UUC SSK, SS race cat back, AP CP9660[F]/5144[R] brakes, Apex ARC-8 with AR-1 or PS5, KW ClubSport 2-way, Turner spherical arms, PMC uniball rtab, VB engine mounts, Rogue pulleys & RSMs, Tillett B6, half cage

TomK

Split hose search advice

Post by TomK » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:04 am

This explains it all better Phil... It could be that the check valve has gone bad leaving it open all the time?
http://www.bavauto.com/newsletter/2008_ ... pdf#page=6

goon

Split hose search advice

Post by goon » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:47 am

A hose had split on my z4 causing air ingress it was the small rubber one at the back on the intake side.

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Split hose search advice

Post by BMWZ4MC » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:12 pm

goon wrote:A hose had split on my z4 causing air ingress it was the small rubber one at the back on the intake side.
Mine too, with consequent misfire.
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone

Phil-E30

Split hose search advice

Post by Phil-E30 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:55 pm

TomK wrote:This explains it all better Phil... It could be that the check valve has gone bad leaving it open all the time?
http://www.bavauto.com/newsletter/2008_ ... pdf#page=6
Thanks Tom, that's really useful actually. I will do a bit of diagnostics today if I have time. I also need to try and get the BMW diag software downloaded. I hope you enjoyed the beers last night :thumbsup:

Cheers Goon & Z4MC, I will double check a few more hoses. I did a quick check spraying water onto potentially problematic hoses yesterday and didn't find anything alarming.
Muhammad Ali

Phil-E30

Split hose search advice

Post by Phil-E30 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:31 pm

BMWZ4MC wrote:
goon wrote:A hose had split on my z4 causing air ingress it was the small rubber one at the back on the intake side.
Mine too, with consequent misfire.
Z4MC & Goon, on the above image that Tom posted, where was the hose that you had split?
Muhammad Ali

goon

Split hose search advice

Post by goon » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:24 pm

at the very back of the right intake manifold, it cant be seen on that photo.

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Split hose search advice

Post by BMWZ4MC » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:09 am

What he said :thumbsup:
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone