Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Good start to the new year

"M" Specific discussion
TomK

Post by TomK » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:09 pm

Albeit for a slightly sad cause we all had a great day today at
silverstone. Murky, slippery, fun conditions!
If only every crappy saturday could be spent doing this..!
Great fun, good to see Fishy Dave and his E30 race car, sadly no M with him, but he managed to get pretty sideways anyway!
Did I mention it was slippery :lol:
Happy new year all :thumbsup:
MC[IB], CSL airbox, Schrick 288/280 cams, 4.44FD, UUC SSK, SS race cat back, AP CP9660[F]/5144[R] brakes, Apex ARC-8 with AR-1 or PS5, KW ClubSport 2-way, Turner spherical arms, PMC uniball rtab, VB engine mounts, Rogue pulleys & RSMs, Tillett B6, half cage

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:30 pm

Slip sliding away. :driving: Well held Sir :thumbsup:

beanie

Post by beanie » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:38 pm

I can think of nothing better to do on a gloomy day-looked like a lot of fun! :D

On a side note, how does the SS race exhaust stack up against the airbox in terms of volume? Always hard to tell from videos.
RUBYIMOLACARBON

TomK

Post by TomK » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:56 pm

beanie wrote:I can think of nothing better to do on a gloomy day-looked like a lot of fun! :D

On a side note, how does the SS race exhaust stack up against the airbox in terms of volume? Always hard to tell from videos.
Probably the best trackday I've done in a long time. It's really fun having no grip I've remembered :lol:

The SS & CSL combo is a tricky one. Part of me hates the SS, it's obnoxious to say the least, and I definitely loose the purity of the CSL induction sound. That's what I miss most about it, it covers the real bellow of the induction from low revs. At high rpm it does sound fantastic though in the car, and in effect balances the rather iloud induction noise from the csl box.
I often think about putting the stock exhausts back on, since I don't need to use the car in town much the SS will stay for the moment.
If you asked me which noise I could choose between the two, it would 100% be the CSL box.
That vid probably sounds more exhaust as the mic is located fairly back in the cabin.
MC[IB], CSL airbox, Schrick 288/280 cams, 4.44FD, UUC SSK, SS race cat back, AP CP9660[F]/5144[R] brakes, Apex ARC-8 with AR-1 or PS5, KW ClubSport 2-way, Turner spherical arms, PMC uniball rtab, VB engine mounts, Rogue pulleys & RSMs, Tillett B6, half cage

TomK

Post by TomK » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:06 am

buzyg wrote:Slip sliding away. :driving: Well held Sir :thumbsup:
Thanks! That wasn't the case all the time :oops:
sure dave will be along soon with the evidence!

beanie

Post by beanie » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:18 am

I thought it sounded a little raspier than I'd expected, in fact, if I didn't already know you had an airbox I wouldn't have known it from the video! Anything that gives an airbox a run for its money volume-wise must be pretty damn loud :D

I've toyed with the idea of an exhaust for mine but I'm not sure I could live with the constant noise as you can't really drive around it on these cars. At least an airbox gives you half an option....well, kind of!
RUBYIMOLACARBON

TomK

Post by TomK » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:24 am

yes, there's no getting away from the fact that having a 'race' exhaust is on the whole embarrassing. The CSL box does allow you to sound completely stock, at low throttle input :P

jimmybell

Post by jimmybell » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:10 am

nice - I noticed your anglesey vid, how'd you go about getting time on there? Would love to go and run around that track, looks epic.
V12 Vantage S - Hammerhead Silver, Manual, Lightweight Wheels, Exterior Carbon++, Carbon Buckets, AMR Performance Pack.
M135i LCI - ZF8, White, HK Audio, Adaptive
--
GONE Z4 M Coupe, Imola, CSLs
GONE C63 AMG, Black, Performance Pack+, LSD, HK

TomK

Post by TomK » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:15 pm

jimmybell wrote:nice - I noticed your anglesey vid, how'd you go about getting time on there? Would love to go and run around that track, looks epic.
Yes it's a great track, get yourself down there. Worth the journey with some nice roads and scenery close by.
Both times I've been there I went with Javelin, though I'm sure there are some other TDOs who use that track.
http://www.javelintrackdays.co.uk/track ... ry&path=69

FD3S

Post by FD3S » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:44 pm

Nice driving! :thumbsup:

ZAR4MC

Post by ZAR4MC » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:02 am

Looks like so much of fun... well driven sir
07 Z4 M Coupe - Sapphire Black/Imola Red

Fishy Dave

Post by Fishy Dave » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:32 am

TomK wrote:
Oh yes :D Although once again the camera is vibrating like crazy which is really annoying. i have ordered a new phone mount today as i want to stick with using my phone with the lap time overlay. I think I won the spinning contest with just the one versus your two, although having you on board at the time perhaps counts double!

I'll get some video posted in the next couple of days before I leave for Autosport. A very enjoyable day overall. :thumbsup:
Corvette C6
Mazda RX-8 race car
Now sold: Z4M Roadster, the best all round car I have owned.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:58 pm

Fishy Dave wrote:
TomK wrote:
Oh yes :D Although once again the camera is vibrating like crazy which is really annoying. i have ordered a new phone mount today as i want to stick with using my phone with the lap time overlay. I think I won the spinning contest with just the one versus your two, although having you on board at the time perhaps counts double!

I'll get some video posted in the next couple of days before I leave for Autosport. A very enjoyable day overall. :thumbsup:
And I thought Torvill and Dean had retired. :lol:

Fishy Dave

Post by Fishy Dave » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:54 pm

I've finally put together the clips, mostly sliding around as usual. Good fun against Tom, with a lack of power and use of the wet lines resulting in a pretty close contest. :thumbsup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fs8fryx ... e=youtu.be

[youtube]Fs8fryxDbFk&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]
Corvette C6
Mazda RX-8 race car
Now sold: Z4M Roadster, the best all round car I have owned.

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:13 am

Looks like you had a great time :thumbsup:
I was back in the UK for the first few weeks of the year, I'd have joined you guys if I'd known there was a track day happening at Silverstone...
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone