Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Third Brake Light

"M" Specific discussion
Tusk

Third Brake Light

Post by Tusk » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:20 pm

Hi guys

I've noticed my third brake light could do with replacing. I assume this is easy enough to DIY.

Has anyone done this recently and can suggest where to get the light from?

Finally can someone confirm what colour OEM is? Mine just now is clear but I know it's been replaced before. If OEM is red I'd probably go back to that for a change.

Thanks

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Third Brake Light

Post by Scooba_Steve » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:57 pm

Any BMW dealer - there is one on ebay or the forum favourite, Soper of Lincoln (usually 10% off list and free postage but most dealers will offer 10% off if you ask).

Red is more expensive than clear.

Best to get new springs and washers, search forum for part numbers. Easy enough DIY but make sure not to over tighten or the new one will crack. Depending on dealer you may be able to get it fitted for £15.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

Philjwb

Third Brake Light

Post by Philjwb » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:38 am

If you just have a hairline crack, you can easily repair it with plastic weld, eg:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Outlet/Tasma ... B0053WXLVU

Just wipe it with a cotton bud and the liquid will wick into the crack and melt it back together. Worked perfectly for me. Just be careful as this stuff is not good for your health!

Tusk

Third Brake Light

Post by Tusk » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:01 am

Thanks guys - wasn't sure if there was somewhere online that was better. Will get in touch with the local dealer and see what is what.