Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Z4M at Laguna Seca in September

"M" Specific discussion
Fishy Dave

Post by Fishy Dave » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:49 am

I promise this isn't a showing off post, I'm just very excited and wanted to share. :oops:

My wife and I travel to the States for the first time ever in September, with a 10 day road trip from San Francisco, via Yosemite, back to Monterey Bay, Carmel, Big Sur and down Pacific Highway 1 to L.A. Sadly the budget doesn't run to a big V8, instead it will be in a medium sized SUV, ah well.
So, how is this M Specific? Well, the highlight of the trip (and what the whole trip revolves around actually!) is a trackday at Laguna Seca on the 27th of September. I posted on Zpost to see if anyone was attending, hoping to grab a passenger lap or two just to experience the track, this resulted in a friendly guy called Ivan getting in touch, with the chat progressing to racing resulting in him offering to share a session or two in his Z4M Roadster. 8) :trampoline: I in turn am going to help him with his retrofit heated seat wiring, it's funny how these things work out.

I spoke to the trackday organiser, Hooked On Driving, last night and the owner, also a David was very welcoming and mentioned he'd take me out for a passenger lap or two in his Camaro SS :thumbsup: . The friendliness and generosity of liked minded car enthusiasts continues to amaze me, I will of course be taking piccies and video to share here.

Cheers, Dave
Corvette C6
Mazda RX-8 race car
Now sold: Z4M Roadster, the best all round car I have owned.

Angelus666

Post by Angelus666 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:54 am

That's amazing, you'll have a blast! I've worked a fair bit in SF and done the drive down H1....it's epic, the scenery will amaze you. Of course, pictures of the trip will be needed!

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Post by patriot66 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:03 pm

Absolutely fantastic! Laguna Seca is epic. Watch out for the Corkscrew! :D
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

Joycey

Post by Joycey » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:13 pm

It's an amazing track, Me and my other half visited last year in a challenger (hire car) Unfortunately the track was being occupied by the Ferrari team testing a new car. It was lots of fun watching them throw those cars around. One even binned it on the corkscrew which is a bigger drop than you think.

Lee

D4dawg

Post by D4dawg » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:30 pm

Pics and vids buddy!! :driving: :driving:

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:13 pm

That's pretty special - the car world is sometimes a brilliant place :thumbsup:
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

goon

Post by goon » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:56 pm

Nice one pal, enjoy your trip. :)

Argenta

Post by Argenta » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:52 am

Bonkers.. Fantastic!

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:59 am

Special offer, what a great bunch of guys! Make sure you get some video posted afterwards :thumbsup:
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

Big Red Cat

Post by Big Red Cat » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:51 pm

wow that sounds excellent, have a great trip & don't forget some photos :thumbsup:
My New love - 05 Alpina Roadster, Black Sapphire, black leather #308
My first love - '07 2.0l Titanium Silver Pearl Grey Oregon leather
Daily drive - '05 e61 535d Titanium silver, black Dakota leather

greencode

Post by greencode » Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:32 pm

Any reason you're going for a SUV and not a Mustang or Camaro? The reason I say that is I did a similar West Coast roadtrip last year (Vegas - Death Valley - Yosemite - San Fran - LA - San Diego) and with a convertible you see so much more on the drive and it's a stunning drive and so even if you're driving you get to see the beautiful scenery. Also, you're going the right way i.e. down from Sf to LA rather than up. Going down means you hug the coast line and can quickly stop to admire the views.

Would love to do this trip again very soon.

Btw, Yosemite is the most stunning place I've ever visited.

Toe-side

Post by Toe-side » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:22 pm

That's a coincidence! I am in Monterey on the 27th and hoping to get a photo shot of us (My wife and I) at Laguna Seca so we might see you! I only realised how close we were to Laguna when I looked at the map
We are driving back from Vegas to San Francisco. We are camping in Yosemite early part of the tour before flying from SF to Vegas :thumbsup:
Before: 2003 3.0 Roadster, Porsche Boxster 987S Now 981S
Success breeds complacency. Complacency breeds failure. Only the paranoid survive

MikeZ4man

Post by MikeZ4man » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:07 am

It will be an epic trip. I did PCH last month on a Harley and visited the raceway at practice time, it was a great experience. One thing surprised me (or perhaps not) - the strong smell of weed from Carmel all the way down to Santa Barbara. Keep your windows down!
Z4 35iS, Porsche Cayenne 4.5S, Harley Davidson Fatboy

Polarbert

Post by Polarbert » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:08 am

Laguna Seca is a brilliant track. Had a nosey around when we stayed in Monterey for our honeymoon.
http://karne.pl/en/
If by any chance you're in the San Diego area I'd be more than happy to show you around my yank Imola Red Z4M. Be nice to hear an English accent again!
Last edited by Polarbert on Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fishy Dave

Post by Fishy Dave » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:46 pm

Thanks all for your comments, I should have re-visited the thread some time ago. We leave tomorrow morning, very excited. 8)
greencode wrote:Any reason you're going for a SUV and not a Mustang or Camaro?
One word: Horse!
My wife and I have been talking about this trip for years and have saved for the last two years, with the agreement that she could buy a horse AFTER this holiday. With money burning a hole in her pocket she bought a horse this spring, which instantly meant that a V8, Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon were removed from the trip. I will have my revenge when I go racing again next year. :evil:

Me and said horse (Poppy):
Corvette C6
Mazda RX-8 race car
Now sold: Z4M Roadster, the best all round car I have owned.