Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Daft oil change question

"M" Specific discussion
Gustavo7

Re: Daft oil change question

Post by Gustavo7 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:14 pm

I bought mine just off an inspection 2 with 12.000mls to go before an Oil service.

For peace of mind, I changed the oil myself a week later - used teh recommended Castrol TWS 10w60.

7000 miles down the line and yesterday I had again an oil and brake fluid service done at BMsport - in order to get the service book stamped.

And I still had 4000 miles to go to the next Oil Service.

I understand if people religiously adhere to the service intervals but it impresses me that some M owners are not even using the recommended oil and opt for a "cheaper" alternative. :o
Imola Red Z4MC

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:42 pm

Gustavo7 wrote: it impresses me that some M owners are not even using the recommended oil and opt for a "cheaper" alternative. :o
Which M owner has mentioned using cheaper oil :?
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

Gustavo7

Post by Gustavo7 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:13 pm

Let me rephrase that:

it impresses me that some sports car owners are not even using the best possible oil and opt for a "cheaper" alternative. :o
Imola Red Z4MC

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:17 pm

Gustavo7 wrote:Let me rephrase that:

it impresses me that some sports car owners are not even using the best possible oil and opt for a "cheaper" alternative. :o
Assuming you refer to "scooba steve" i can actually see his point of view regarding using a cheaper(but correct spec) oil changed every 5k against manufacturers recognised oil left in possibly 3 X longer :?
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

Gustavo7

Post by Gustavo7 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:34 pm

I can see the point of changing every 5k miles instead of 15k.

But how much would one actually save for doing that with a cheaper oil?

I'm not saying that cheaper cannot be as good. But might not be, and if the manufacturers recommend a certain oil, why not use that one instead of trying to save £60 every 15.000 miles? (assuming a saving of £20 in every oil change)

I'm really not trying to be a snob here. :lol: But I really can't understand when people drive sports cars and try to save on oil (and tyres.)
Imola Red Z4MC

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:37 pm

It's surely a no brainer, use the best oil available no matter the cost as it protects arguably the most important component on a vehicle, and even the most expensive oil doesn't cost as much as a full tank of fuel which you could easily use up in a day and the oil does it's job for an average of 12-15k miles. For the job it does it's virtually free.
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:34 pm

I have always used good quality oils in my cars or bikes and always will but there are people who say that you are paying for the brand name and that a lot of the cheaper oils are actually made by the bigger companys.
I suppose its the same argument as the petrol one whether or not the cheaper supermarket fuels are the same or not.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

abar121

Post by abar121 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:04 pm

In most cars (and motorcycles come to that), I would be happy using cheaper fully synthetic oils. I've used the Halfords fully synthetic oils in many vehicles and never had a problem. They are usually produced by comma (an Exxon / Mobil company) and can be ridiculously cheap, especially with a trade card.

On the S54, I stick with the recommended Castrol TWS oil, given that it was developed with the factory M engineers at the time when the earlier issues that the motor had in the E46 M3, were prevalent. Given the unique complexities of the M diff, I would also stick to their recommendation on this.

But it's a personal choice. Others swear by Redline products, or oils with more zinc in them. I don't really have enough experience so will take the easy option and put my faith in BMWs engineers on this one.

On a car that's regularly tracked or putting out significantly more power, I would deffo change the oil on a more regular basis.
'07 Z4M Interlagos Blue. All options except extended leather.

mj2k

Post by mj2k » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:17 pm

Right, a few weeks now until I need to do it....

Found this from Opie http://www.opieoils.co.uk/pv-154179-cas ... mentNotes=

However, I enquired about whether the drain bolt crush washer was included, as no reference to it.

Received this back from Tim...."It will have all of the O-rings and should have the crush washer too (although I wouldn't guarantee there will be a washer)"

Not exactly clear! Has anyone ordered this kit that could advise please?

Matt
2016 F82 M4 Comp Pack, Mineral White
2016 F56 JCW - GONE
2007 ZMR, Titanium Silver for sunny days
2012 N18 JCW - GONE
2007 3.0si Z4C, Stratus Grey, Amarone Leather - GONE
2013 520d F10 - GONE

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:46 pm

I get a MANN oil filter from ECP/CarParts4Less - that includes both 'o' rings and a crush washer. Plus they're about £5 - I recall looking at Opie's kits and not thinking they were good value.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

mj2k

Post by mj2k » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:48 pm

Scooba_Steve wrote:I get a MANN oil filter from ECP/CarParts4Less - that includes both 'o' rings and a crush washer. Plus they're about £5 - I recall looking at Opie's kits and not thinking they were good value.
Cheers Steve, will get the filter from ECP and then just the oil from opie :thumbsup:
2016 F82 M4 Comp Pack, Mineral White
2016 F56 JCW - GONE
2007 ZMR, Titanium Silver for sunny days
2012 N18 JCW - GONE
2013 520d F10 - GONE

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:49 pm

Will this be the first outing of the jack then? ;)
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:54 pm

mj2k wrote:
Scooba_Steve wrote:I get a MANN oil filter from ECP/CarParts4Less - that includes both 'o' rings and a crush washer. Plus they're about £5 - I recall looking at Opie's kits and not thinking they were good value.
Cheers Steve, will get the filter from ECP and then just the oil from opie :thumbsup:
I take it the kits are a bit more? I can't remember but I don't need a paper funnel and gloves...!
CP4L are usually cheaper on ebay rather than their site - unless you're getting the discount for 50/75/100+ spend. Poly RTABs are only £40 ;)
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:59 pm

pvr wrote:Will this be the first outing of the jack then? ;)
If it is - good lad, DIY is the mark of a loving owner :thumbsup:

Tips (excuse teaching to suck eggs):

Don't rush
Don't get squashed

For an oil change I jack up onto ramps one side at a time. If I'm honest you can probably get away with just doing one side, though I found some 'wiggling' was needed each side to get the last little bit out.

Don't get a 14L pan like I did... you can't lower the car onto it! :headbang:

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:04 pm

Scooba_Steve wrote:
pvr wrote:Will this be the first outing of the jack then? ;)
If it is - good lad, DIY is the mark of a loving owner :thumbsup:

Tips (excuse teaching to suck eggs):

Don't rush
Don't get squashed
Do make a will - leave everything to PVR

For an oil change I jack up onto ramps one side at a time. If I'm honest you can probably get away with just doing one side, though I found some 'wiggling' was needed each side to get the last little bit out.

Don't get a 14L pan like I did... you can't lower the car onto it! :headbang:
Corrected that for you :thumbsup:
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo