Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

mobility kit tray- expensive!

"M" Specific discussion
Fishy Dave

Post by Fishy Dave » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:12 pm

Not sure if you missed my post above? Contact Carl, pretty certain his cover will be spare, if so I'm sure he would sell it to you. :)
Corvette C6
Mazda RX-8 race car
Now sold: Z4M Roadster, the best all round car I have owned.

Mangozac

Post by Mangozac » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:45 am

Bing wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:04 pm I do t have the mobility kit in my car anymore, it’s out of date and replacement gunk is hard to come by... or was when I looked. Got a slime kit now.
Most of the M drivers I know (myself included) don't have it either. Any good will make a mess of the tyre and wheel so it should only be a last resort. A plug kit is the best solution :thumbsup:
Current: 06 E85 M Silbergrau
Previous: E85 3.0si Silbergrau, 03 E85 2.5i Maldives Blue.
Mods: Gaptech OTH+R, Dension Gateway 300 with USB, CDV-, clear side indicators, euro tails, stubby, MFSW retrofit, OEM Bluetooth/VR

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:33 am

Mangozac wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:45 am
Bing wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:04 pm I do t have the mobility kit in my car anymore, it’s out of date and replacement gunk is hard to come by... or was when I looked. Got a slime kit now.
Most of the M drivers I know (myself included) don't have it either. Any good will make a mess of the tyre and wheel so it should only be a last resort. A plug kit is the best solution :thumbsup:
I have a plug kit, but it didn’t come with any instructions :headbang: ... and tbh would be a right pain to try and use at the side of the M3 or similar. I worry more about a puncture than bearing shells :lol:
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

Attilio

Post by Attilio » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:54 am

MrPT wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:50 pm Do you mean the polystyrene has broken, leaving some beneath the nut? If so, can’t you just glue the piece back? This is what I’ve done and it’s held for three years.
Hi MrPT,

yes, that is one of the options indeed, definitely as a first and simpler approach, then I think I will look into shaping a metal strip to copy the contour of the polystyrene "tray" to go across the fixing points...

will update the forum with my solution. thanks!

A
Z4M Coupe, Interlagos blue, black leather, piano black, stubby, OEM CSLs, evolve intake, cup holders...pretty much stock
2019 Toyota Corolla hybrid 2.0L - new daily drive

Attilio

Post by Attilio » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:36 am

All,

a quick update: I managed to find the part number of the tray/cover: 51473424016

it is item 22 at this link: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpar ... Id=51_4961

According to Real OEM the price is 55 USD... is that a reliable source for prices?

A
Z4M Coupe, Interlagos blue, black leather, piano black, stubby, OEM CSLs, evolve intake, cup holders...pretty much stock

dgm

Post by dgm » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:16 pm

The prices are rarely comparable to UK prices on Realoem.

Here’s one from bmminiparts on eBay for £80, still too pricey but make him an offer on it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E86-ZM4- ... SwGtRXyZXM
06 Z4MC, Sapphire black, Aero sideskirts, BMW strutbrace, CSL's, Remus back boxes, Intravee and Alpine DAB

Attilio

Post by Attilio » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:21 am

Fishy Dave wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:12 pm Not sure if you missed my post above? Contact Carl, pretty certain his cover will be spare, if so I'm sure he would sell it to you. :)
Hi,

Yes, I did miss your post, sorry.

Will try and contact Carl and see what can be arranged but I guess will give it a go at “fixing” it first before asking him to post it ( it’s so flimsy that I fear it may not survive the delicate hands of the postal service).

Thanks!
A

Attilio

Post by Attilio » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:25 am

dgm wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:16 pm The prices are rarely comparable to UK prices on Realoem.

Here’s one from bmminiparts on eBay for £80, still too pricey but make him an offer on it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E86-ZM4- ... SwGtRXyZXM
Hello dgm,

Thanks for that; yes I had found it but still cannot believe that someone can ask that amount of money for an “insignificant” part like that. Will do some DYI before forking out some money. :wink:

Attilio

Post by Attilio » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:22 pm

exdos wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:37 pm If you want to make a decent permanent repair: carefully cover the top surface of the tray with cling film and then cut some thin fibreglass fabric to cover over it completely with necessary overlaps of all the joints and then soak it with epoxy resin and let it dry completely. When it's set, the clingfilm will easily peel off the fibreglass You can then trim the fibre glass to give it smooth edges. You could use carbon fibre if you're bothered about the final appearance or spray paint it. Finish it to whatever standard suits you. :thumbsup:
Hello Exdos,

Apologies I missed your post.
thanks for the idea, I think it could be a nice project for the holidays... :thumbsup:

A