Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Z4MR - Was going to sell, now considering keeping

"M" Specific discussion
john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:02 pm

paulgs1000 wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:51 pm it's good to have the pinnacle of Z4 ownership
Succumbed and bought a 35is then have you Paul..... :wink:
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

Havard

Post by Havard » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:45 am

dan yeates wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:46 am
Havard wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:00 am As a guy who is lucky enough to currently have both a Z4MR and Cayman 981 I can see exactly where Dan and NickW are coming from.

When you decide to replace the Z4MR you think you are going for something "better" as a complete package and the reality I have found is that you are going for something that is just "different. The Cayman is much, much more expensive, better insulated against outside noise, razor sharp handling and looks absolutely stunning imo. The sports exhaust makes a wonderful noise but you can't really hear it unless you have the windows open.

Image#

The MR is just a different proposition. Both cars are fast but the MR is defo where the fun is. The whole raw, unruly nature of the car, sat on the back axle with that huge bonnet always puts a smile on my face. It feels aggressive and although I feel the Porsche is the better looking car and the one I would rather be seen in. I think the MR is the one I would rather be in.

Either way, considering the MR didn't sell at what was my walk away price I will keep them both for the foreseeable. Nice to open the garage at the moment.

Keep the MR Dan if you can afford to.

H.
Yes, they are different.

I had a 987 Cayman S a while ago, and whilst it was a great car, it wasn't that exciting. The 981 is a very different car to that. I think they've really improved with the 981 generation.

The Sports exhaust is really quiet with the roof up in the Boxster, but with the roof down it sounds glorious, so I get where you're coming from with that. I think in the Cayman it might be a bit too quiet.

The Z4MR is definitely more mad and lairy. It wheelspins and the back breaks loose with ease, so it's a crazy little car to drive. That makes it fun. The 981 is much quicker and easier to drive fast, but is much more poised and precise.

What you say is right, which is why I am now considering keeping it.

Your pair of cars are just stunning. The 981 Cayman S just looks so good! I wish I had a double garage!!
Thanks Dan,

Sorry, I haven't kept up with this thread. Cracking dilemmas to have these things though. I went out in both this week and I wouldn't want to let either go to be honest. There is also nothing out there I would want to replace them with. May a Jag F type but reliability and the extra weight would be my concern.

If you want a quick, relatively comfortable, great handling car for the money, then these are two of the best for me.

H.
ImageImage

dan yeates

Post by dan yeates » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:56 am

Havard wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:45 am
Havard wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:00 am As a guy who is lucky enough to currently have both a Z4MR and Cayman 981 I can see exactly where Dan and NickW are coming from.

When you decide to replace the Z4MR you think you are going for something "better" as a complete package and the reality I have found is that you are going for something that is just "different. The Cayman is much, much more expensive, better insulated against outside noise, razor sharp handling and looks absolutely stunning imo. The sports exhaust makes a wonderful noise but you can't really hear it unless you have the windows open.

Image#

The MR is just a different proposition. Both cars are fast but the MR is defo where the fun is. The whole raw, unruly nature of the car, sat on the back axle with that huge bonnet always puts a smile on my face. It feels aggressive and although I feel the Porsche is the better looking car and the one I would rather be seen in. I think the MR is the one I would rather be in.

Either way, considering the MR didn't sell at what was my walk away price I will keep them both for the foreseeable. Nice to open the garage at the moment.

Keep the MR Dan if you can afford to.

H.
Yes, they are different.

I had a 987 Cayman S a while ago, and whilst it was a great car, it wasn't that exciting. The 981 is a very different car to that. I think they've really improved with the 981 generation.

The Sports exhaust is really quiet with the roof up in the Boxster, but with the roof down it sounds glorious, so I get where you're coming from with that. I think in the Cayman it might be a bit too quiet.

The Z4MR is definitely more mad and lairy. It wheelspins and the back breaks loose with ease, so it's a crazy little car to drive. That makes it fun. The 981 is much quicker and easier to drive fast, but is much more poised and precise.

Your pair of cars are just stunning. The 981 Cayman S just looks so good! I wish I had a double garage!!
Thanks Dan,

Sorry, I haven't kept up with this thread. Cracking dilemmas to have these things though. I went out in both this week and I wouldn't want to let either go to be honest. There is also nothing out there I would want to replace them with. May a Jag F type but reliability and the extra weight would be my concern.

If you want a quick, relatively comfortable, great handling car for the money, then these are two of the best for me.

H.
Yeah, that's true. I've been using the Z4M this week and it's a great car, mad little thing!

I seriously considered the F-Type Roadster, but it's a huge car! And really heavy. It didn't feel like a sports car unfortunately. Plus for such a big car, the luggage space is dreadful. The boot might as well be a glove box! No good for touring, which is what I want to do next year. Plus it has really bad visibility.
ex-BMW Z4 M Roadster in Monaco Blue ** BMW M135i ** Mercedes AMG GT S

Havard

Post by Havard » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:34 pm

dan yeates wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:56 am

Yes, they are different.

Thanks Dan,

H.
Yeah, that's true. I've been using the Z4M this week and it's a great car, mad little thing!

I seriously considered the F-Type Roadster, but it's a huge car! And really heavy. It didn't feel like a sports car unfortunately. Plus for such a big car, the luggage space is dreadful. The boot might as well be a glove box! No good for touring, which is what I want to do next year. Plus it has really bad visibility.
Drop top is a waste of a car for me. The boot really does spoil it. Considering a Z4MR has mega boot space even with the roof down it is a shock that they designed such a poor car for practicality.

Coupe is beautiful car though but not as rare or special as a 911. Especially up north, probably different in London as Porsche are everywhere.

I may go Jag when I am an old man. 43 tomorrow but I feel I may have got my present in August...lol

H
ImageImage

dan yeates

Post by dan yeates » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:47 pm

Havard wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:34 pm
dan yeates wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:56 am

Thanks Dan,

H.

Drop top is a waste of a car for me. The boot really does spoil it. Considering a Z4MR has mega boot space even with the roof down it is a shock that they designed such a poor car for practicality.

Coupe is beautiful car though but not as rare or special as a 911. Especially up north, probably different in London as Porsche are everywhere.

I may go Jag when I am an old man. 43 tomorrow but I feel I may have got my present in August...lol

H
Yes, they do have an older person feel to them. My granddad loves Jaguars, so I've always wanted to buy one and drive to his house to take him out for a nice drive into the country! I'm sure he'll still like my Porsche though. I did really consider a Jaguar XKR Convertible as they come loaded with spec and a bloody lovely B&W stereo, but at 32 I'm definitely too young for a XKR! :lol:
ex-BMW Z4 M Roadster in Monaco Blue ** BMW M135i ** Mercedes AMG GT S

earthdweller

Post by earthdweller » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:50 pm

It’s a lovely garage you have there :)

It sums it up .. “the one you want to be seen in versus the one you want to be in”

Lovely dilemma :driving:
07 3.0si Sport Roadster Titanium Silver/Syrah Blue Individual Leather, CSL reps ZHP

Havard

Post by Havard » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:38 pm

earthdweller wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:50 pm It’s a lovely garage you have there :)

It sums it up .. “the one you want to be seen in versus the one you want to be in”

Cheers Andy.

Enjoying it at the moment. Just wish I had more time to get out in them.

H
ImageImage

earthdweller

Post by earthdweller » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:10 am

Havard wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:38 pm
earthdweller wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:50 pm It’s a lovely garage you have there :)

Cheers Andy.

Enjoying it at the moment. Just wish I had more time to get out in them.

H
H

Your M is a lovely thing ..

As I’ve said to you before I’ve driven a couple of Cayman S cars ( although older model than yours) and they kind of left me cold .. fantastic brilliant cars .. but possibly too good ? I’m not sure I can put my finger on it

Having driven my Si and an S back to back over the roads near Settle and Hawes which are pretty awesome I never found my car wanting and at sane speeds there wasn’t really anything between them

Yes I’m sure at 100+ the S would leave the Zed on open roads .. but up here in the Pennines we don’t have the big wide open roads. At the 50-80 speeds the Zed is perfect for the narrow moorland roads

The owner of the S was gobsmacked by how good the Zed was .. and that he had to work hard to keep up with the Zed

Don’t get me wrong I’m not knocking the Cayman or slagging it off but the Zed puts a smile on my face every time I drive it .., maybe it’s because I can see the sky lol

And your M has that little extra sense of occasion
But, it would be lovely to have both .. very different cars

Andy
Attachments
95E9ACBA-DE2B-40A0-9729-AED2320F5675.jpeg
95E9ACBA-DE2B-40A0-9729-AED2320F5675.jpeg (351.14 KiB) Viewed 975 times
07 3.0si Sport Roadster Titanium Silver/Syrah Blue Individual Leather, CSL reps ZHP

Havard

Post by Havard » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:08 am

Cheers Andy. I am fascinated at what would be classed as better cars for the money under £40K. Z4 is a mega bargain, especially if you want around 300Hp as I do. 6 Speed RWD is a must too.

I have looked for ages and F types, Mustangs have all been a possibility but they are heavy cars.

H.
ImageImage

earthdweller

Post by earthdweller » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:41 am

Havard wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:08 am Cheers Andy. I am fascinated at what would be classed as better cars for the money under £40K. Z4 is a mega bargain, especially if you want around 300Hp as I do. 6 Speed RWD is a must too.

I have looked for ages and F types, Mustangs have all been a possibility but they are heavy cars.

H.
Quite right.,

I was mightily impressed by CJeepers F type but when we were on the narrow Lakeland and moorland roads you couldn’t help noticing how wide it was .. it was massive compared to the Zeds and at times he struggled with gaps that the Zeds went through

I’ll admit to drooling over one in Bowkers showroom though .. but yes £40k and not nimble and agile

In a previous life I was involved in procuring and evaluating high performance cars for a very specific purpose

I did come away thinking that some cars are just too big and fast for our roads

For example we tested the Evo FQ things up against the WRX Sti’s

It soon became evident that the Sti was all the cAr we needed .. nimble agile durable and fast enough

My next door neighbour has a gorgeous R8 V10 but he admits it’s too wide for the fell roads ... autobahns yes

But I could have more fun and probably make more progress in the Zed than he could in his R8 on the lanes around here

Show it a wide open dual carriageway and it would be a different story

So yes .. I think there is not a lot to compare against
With the 5s 0-60 times at the price point, in gear acceleration and go cart handling :driving: