Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

So how does mileage affect your car value ?

"M" Specific discussion
Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer

Re: So how does mileage affect your car value ?

Post by Z4M-2006 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:23 pm

Mines gone down £370 ...

CornishRob

Post by CornishRob » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:55 pm

I did a WBAC the other day just to see.

Good spec Z4MC 50k miles about 10k? Seems low to me. I though private would be 17k Ish region?
Current: 2007 Titanium Silver Z4MC - For Sale End of Feb
Previous: 2002 Land Rover Defender 90

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:58 pm

That does seem very low.

Argenta

Post by Argenta » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:19 am

I bought the cheapest here in Sweden, probably the highest milage, 154000km.
I don't care - it was the right spec, very well maintaned, and I'm only making it even more mint.

gov

Post by gov » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:36 am

Apologies for posting on a M specific but the subject of the thread is the same - I regularly put my 2004 3.0SE with 29k miles on WBAC just to see - last year came out at £6300 , late June 2015 topped at £7290 , then 3 weeks later dropped to £5800 then a week or so later back up to £6380 ................. ?? when I was thinking about selling did make an appointment but never followed it up . Advertised it locally for £7500- bloke and his girlfriend turned up within an hour - went on and on how great it was but didn't want to pay the price - I got fed up and withdrew the advert the next day .

The point I am trying to make is that pricing is all a bit hit and miss - at the end of the day any car is only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it - I think the most accurate way of pricing is the old trusted way of comparing similar cars of spec and mileage on Autotrader etc

original guvnor
Lifer
Lifer

Post by original guvnor » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:24 am

I agree with Gov. WBAC is a total and utter waste of time for the ZM's. As was the CAP site someone posted a link to as well. Just look on Pistonheads, the AUC site and Autotrader. That will give you a much better idea.

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Post by tomscott » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:17 am

inkey$ wrote:I've not read Bluestreaks formula, but could you not also argue that the rarity of decent, well looked after cars actually being available increases the possibility of them holding and actually increasing in value regardless of mileage below stratospheric mileage?

Time marches on and as it does so these cars (and especially limited production Ms) become ever more collectible to those who first saw them before driving age and have always wanted one. For instance, an M produced 9 years ago in 2006 are now in the sights of people in their mid to late 20s looking for that special car they remember seeing on the roads when they were 15/16 etc.

Happened with my MC albeit in slightly different circumstances and obviously in a much rarer way :poke:
Yep that was me, came out when I started uni but in 4 years they were definitely rock bottom significantly cheaper for newer and low milage cars which is how I got one! Now after owning one and seeing the prices I would need 4-5k more to buy the same car with 20k more miles and obviously 5 years older which doesn't make me want to buy another.

ZermattV
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ZermattV » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:44 am

And could you Rev match it like you can a 997.1 Tom
Awaiting an Alpine A110
2016 M-Sport Fiesta ST

- Previously - 997 Targa - Z4M 2006 - Z4 3.0 Roadster - MX-5 1.8 Phoenix

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Post by tomscott » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:17 am

Haha

dhobbs

Post by dhobbs » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:45 pm

WBAK are just like part ex quotes, almost an insult.
As gov said, it's only worth what someone is willing to pay.
I always compare autotrader to see what the majority of people are asking. Region seems to make a difference too.
3.0si roadster. Requisite stubby. Sound gen mod. LED numberplate lights. LED boot strip. Interior lights LED too. ZHP gearknob. Daily drive :driving:
Motor in boot. Bilstein B8 dampers. New radio, much better sounds :thumbsup:

original guvnor
Lifer
Lifer

Post by original guvnor » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:14 pm

dhobbs wrote:WBAC are just like part ex quotes, almost an insult.
As gov said, it's only worth what someone is willing to pay.
I always compare autotrader to see what the majority of people are asking. Region seems to make a difference too.

They're not even part ex level in my experience and that's before they try and knock the price down on inspection. Only a mug would ever sell to them.

dhobbs

Post by dhobbs » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:05 pm

Tried WBAK for a motorbike. It was over a grand less than I was offered part ex. I said no of course!
3.0si roadster. Requisite stubby. Sound gen mod. LED numberplate lights. LED boot strip. Interior lights LED too. ZHP gearknob. Daily drive :driving:
Motor in boot. Bilstein B8 dampers. New radio, much better sounds :thumbsup:

Adamski
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Adamski » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:45 pm

stevo///m3 wrote:
On Adam's behalf, I should add that this is not a M specific thread either... :wink:
Stevo
I've been away for a while. Glad someone is keeping up the standard :lol:
Gone: Z4M Coupé|Black Sapphire|OEM CSLs|Aero Skirts|OEM Strut Brace|Nav|Heated Seats|Logic 7 Pro Hi-fi|Bluetooth|Carbon Leather|PDC|BMW Assist|Stubby
Gone: Cherished 2003 3.0i Black Sapphire Roadster

Adamski
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Adamski » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:51 pm

Now that I've had a read through the thread, the price of Z4Ms has increased steadily over the last few years. A couple of years ago a 2007 Sepang MC went for under £16k, with genuine CSLs on this forum, with c.27k on the clock. Same car now would command over £20k, perhaps even £25k for the right buyer.

Websites like WBAC are junk, as are normal pricing guides. This is an enthusiast car that defies normal pricing methodology.

Re mileage - ? It's a tricky point. Sure low mileage 20k-30k models carry a premium. And 80k plus start to nose dive, price wise. But there's still a fairly wide sweet spot in the middle between, say, 40k to 55k where prices are strong
Gone: Z4M Coupé|Black Sapphire|OEM CSLs|Aero Skirts|OEM Strut Brace|Nav|Heated Seats|Logic 7 Pro Hi-fi|Bluetooth|Carbon Leather|PDC|BMW Assist|Stubby
Gone: Cherished 2003 3.0i Black Sapphire Roadster

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:14 pm

Adamski wrote:
Re mileage - ? It's a tricky point. Sure low mileage 20k-30k models carry a premium. And 80k plus start to nose dive, price wise. But there's still a fairly wide sweet spot in the middle between, say, 40k to 55k where prices are strong
Those 40/55k cars will eventually be 80k + cars
There was a sub 30k M roady this week up for £15k against 60-70k cars at £13k ? Not that much of a premium :wink: as with any car it depends where you buy from
Fast forward a few 3,4,5 years & mileage will become less of a factor for the bulk of ZMs & condition,history & spec will take over .
There will be the very few that retain low miles longterm
Desire to own these cars won't suddenly drop off when all you can can find is 80,90,100k cars as production numbers will ensure they always demand attention
They'l never be a get rich quick scheme but its interesting all the same to see the market fluctuate
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo