Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Battery fail

"M" Specific discussion
bjd

Battery fail

Post by bjd » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:41 pm

Argh, so today - I got up and my fridge/freezer wasn't working properly so I thought I'd go and buy a new one. My car wouldn't turn over so i rolled it out of the garage and stuck it on charge. My ctek didn't leave stage 2 which i thought was rather odd. Anyway I borrowed a car, managed to start mine and put it back in the garage and went to order a new fridge/freezer.

This evening when I got back, the car started fine... I drove it around without any issues yesterday and I'm just wondering if I should order a new battery? Thinking about this
2007 Z4MR with all the toys and gadgets!

Dogmatic6

Re: Battery fail

Post by Dogmatic6 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:57 pm

bjd wrote:Argh, so today - I got up and my fridge/freezer wasn't working properly so I thought I'd go and buy a new one. My car wouldn't turn over so i rolled it out of the garage and stuck it on charge. My ctek didn't leave stage 2 which i thought was rather odd. Anyway I borrowed a car, managed to start mine and put it back in the garage and went to order a new fridge/freezer.

This evening when I got back, the car started fine... I drove it around without any issues yesterday and I'm just wondering if I should order a new battery? Thinking about this
How old is your current battery? If it's the original then it's time for a new one! I bought a Bosch S5 almost 5yrs ago and it has been rock solid. No issues at all.

But if you want agm then go for it.
Z4M Silver Grey with Red Leather

bjd

Post by bjd » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:08 pm

I've no idea tbh. I have had the car near two years and I'm more inclined to spend money on a new battery than a dealership faff around with it. I thought AGM was OE?

Dogmatic6

Post by Dogmatic6 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:02 am

bjd wrote:I've no idea tbh. I have had the car near two years and I'm more inclined to spend money on a new battery than a dealership faff around with it. I thought AGM was OE?
AGM is OE :) I'm just saying that a lot of people have went with the Bosch S5 with zero issues.
If it's a BMW battery then it's probably the original.

Best to replace if in doubt.

bjd

Post by bjd » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:20 am

Good to know :thumbsup:

I'll have a proper look this evening, is removing the battery covering a simple case of undoing the screws at the top?

bjd

Post by bjd » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:08 pm

I got the cover off so I'm hoping to get round to this tomorrow. In my mind it's simply:
- Disconnect negative terminal
- Disconnect positive terminal
- Remove the anchor screw that secures the battery.

Is that it? Should the battery slide out or do i need to unsecure the black cage surrounding the battery? Apologies for the questions, just thought I'd give it a go myself given BMW wanted £230 to do this!

Dogmatic6

Post by Dogmatic6 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:40 pm

bjd wrote:I got the cover off so I'm hoping to get round to this tomorrow. In my mind it's simply:

Is that it? Should the battery slide out or do i need to unsecure the black cage surrounding the battery? Apologies for the questions, just thought I'd give it a go myself given BMW wanted £230 to do this!
That's it :) no need to remove the black cage. Just slide out the battery after removing anchor screw. It's really easy as I managed to do it! Just a little awkward with being at the back of the boot.

Darren Slone
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Darren Slone » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:43 am

I bought a Bosch AGM battery the other week to replace my original one from Euro Car Parts, it has a 6yr guarantee, I think it's an S6 not S5, it was £132.50 :thumbsup:

Current Porsche Cayman S 987.1

Now sold - Imola Z4MC

Now sold - Silver Grey Z4MC
OEM CSL’s, Supersprint, Gruppe M, Eibachs, Carbon Roof, carbon rear spoiler,,

Now sold - My other Z
‘71 Datsun 240Z imported from West Coast USA

Grumpyowl
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Grumpyowl » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:48 am

Did you get the BEER fridge sorted ? :D

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:43 am

The S5 and S6 just refers to the warranty length. 096 and 100 are the battery sizes.

I went with a standard battery, the AGM ones seem to be more for cars with stop start tech from what I can tell.

Dogmatic6

Post by Dogmatic6 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:59 am

srhutch wrote:The S5 and S6 just refers to the warranty length. 096 and 100 are the battery sizes.

I went with a standard battery, the AGM ones seem to be more for cars with stop start tech from what I can tell.
Yeah I went for the S5 096. Almost 5yrs ago and it still going strong :) think I paid around £70 at the time from an online supplier.

Maxsam

Post by Maxsam » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:03 am

Worth checking out....
http://www.gsfcarparts.com/
and use code SUN35 for up to %35 dicount all this weekend... They do free delivery....

Good Luck :D

Dogmatic6

Post by Dogmatic6 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:11 am

Maxsam wrote:Worth checking out....
and use code SUN35 for up to %35 dicount all this weekend... They do free delivery....

Or get the S5 096 from car parts 4 less for £78.99 and £1.99 delivery :D using the cp10less discount code

Works out cheaper than gsf

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:13 am

Dogmatic6 wrote:
Maxsam wrote:Worth checking out....

Or get the S5 096 from car parts 4 less for £78.99 and £1.99 delivery :D using the cp10less discount code

Works out cheaper than gsf
Could have told me this two weeks ago :poke:

GSF is way more expensive than ECP though, even with discount.

bjd

Post by bjd » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:52 pm

Dogmatic6 wrote:
bjd wrote:I got the cover off so I'm hoping to get round to this tomorrow. In my mind it's simply:

That's it :) no need to remove the black cage. Just slide out the battery after removing anchor screw. It's really easy as I managed to do it! Just a little awkward with being at the back of the boot.
Thanks for the confirmation. Job all done, Not sure what I was worrying about! I invested in a socket set and that definitely made it much easier.

BTW, I think the S6 AGM battery is no more and the S5 A model replaces it.