Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Wanted: Exhaust Tips

Buying and selling Z4 related goods (private sales only, no traders)
Matthew.

Post by Matthew. » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:46 pm

Hey guys, does anyone have any spare or unwanted exhaust tips lying around?

I'm going to get them welded to the back box of my 2.0 to replace the single exhaust tip.

Matt
Sold: 2007 Monaco Blue Z4 2.0i Sport

Now driving: 2007 Montego Blue Z4 2.0i Sport - M Sport Seats, Suspension, Wheels, Multi Function M Steering Wheel, Stubby Aerial, Twin Exhaust Mod, Clear M Brake Light

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:41 pm

Just a thought, but "Machine monkey" on here makes tips - might be worth a quick PM to him.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Matthew.

Post by Matthew. » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:42 am

Ah yes of course. Thanks for that.

Now driving: 2007 Montego Blue Z4 2.0i Sport - M Sport Seats, Suspension, Wheels, Multi Function M Steering Wheel, Stubby Aerial, Twin Exhaust Mod, Clear M Brake Light

Grumpyowl
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Grumpyowl » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:27 pm

I'll have a rummage around the garage I'm sure I've still got an old pair of genuine BMW that should clean up nicely.
If I can find them you can have them.

Just had a look and found them, they'll need a good clean but will come up nicely.
If you want them you can have them for a small forum donation and I'll pay the postage to Yorkshire.
Give me a PM if interested.

Matthew.

Post by Matthew. » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:00 pm

That's brilliant. I've sent you a PM :D

Grumpyowl
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Grumpyowl » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:15 pm

Replied Mathew, I'll post them to you. You just make a small donation to the forum after you get them :thumbsup:

Jim.

Matthew.

Post by Matthew. » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:22 pm

Absolutely! :thumbsup:

Thanks again.

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:52 pm

The 2.0 box actually has twin pipes coming out of it, AND going into it, but for some reason bmw decided to reduce the outlet to a single. The reverse is true on the inlet side as the single pipe from the engine splits into two as it enters the box. Can't have been for cost reasons as would have been cheaper to have one in, in out. So I think it was purposefully to "downgrade" the appearance of the 2.0 from behind.

I did a conversion a few months ago for someone, not a big job. I cut the old tailpipe off where the twin pipes exited the box and welded some 54mm stainless tube on, using stainless wire. Finished it off with a set of 3.0 tips I had lying around, and it was indistinguishable from a 3 litre from behind. Not that a real 3 litre would ever be behind it lol..

Mike

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:58 pm

Interesting Mike - bonkers decision from BMW; good to know there's a fairly simple mod to give the 2 litre its twin pipes back :thumbsup:
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

Matthew.

Post by Matthew. » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:40 pm

Ducklakeview wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:52 pm The 2.0 box actually has twin pipes coming out of it, AND going into it, but for some reason bmw decided to reduce the outlet to a single. The reverse is true on the inlet side as the single pipe from the engine splits into two as it enters the box. Can't have been for cost reasons as would have been cheaper to have one in, in out. So I think it was purposefully to "downgrade" the appearance of the 2.0 from behind.

I did a conversion a few months ago for someone, not a big job. I cut the old tailpipe off where the twin pipes exited the box and welded some 54mm stainless tube on, using stainless wire. Finished it off with a set of 3.0 tips I had lying around, and it was indistinguishable from a 3 litre from behind. Not that a real 3 litre would ever be behind it lol..

Mike
Your not local to me are you? Ha. I'm in West Yorkshire :D

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:59 pm

Matthew. wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:40 pm
Ducklakeview wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:52 pm The 2.0 box actually has twin pipes coming out of it, AND going into it, but for some reason bmw decided to reduce the outlet to a single. The reverse is true on the inlet side as the single pipe from the engine splits into two as it enters the box. Can't have been for cost reasons as would have been cheaper to have one in, in out. So I think it was purposefully to "downgrade" the appearance of the 2.0 from behind.

Mike
Your not local to me are you? Ha. I'm in West Yorkshire :D
St Helens...

Mike

LordOxygen

Post by LordOxygen » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:50 am

Ducklakeview wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:52 pm . So I think it was purposefully to "downgrade" the appearance of the 2.0 from behind.
Up until the last 3-4ish yrs. All 4 pot bmws inc, 1, 3, 5, and zed series had single pipe exhaust exits. All 6 pots had 2. Basically it ment that pulling the badges of your 318/320 poverty spec company car got you nowhere as everyone knew it was a 4pot. Infact there were differences between the X18 and the X20 so you could identify the worst ofenders.(downward curved pipe/oval straight pipe).

Now they're phasing out 6 pots the above doesnt apply to new cars.

Look at some e90s and e60s to see the pattern.

Matthew.

Post by Matthew. » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:37 pm

Grumpyowl wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:15 pm Replied Mathew, I'll post them to you. You just make a small donation to the forum after you get them :thumbsup:

Jim.
Just wanted to say a massive thank you to Jim. Exhaust tips arrived today and in great condition. I'm sure after a good polish they wil look as good as new.

Can someone tell me the best way to make a donation to the forum?

Matt

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:19 pm

Matthew. wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:37 pm
Grumpyowl wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:15 pm Replied Mathew, I'll post them to you. You just make a small donation to the forum after you get them :thumbsup:

Jim.
Just wanted to say a massive thank you to Jim. Exhaust tips arrived today and in great condition. I'm sure after a good polish they wil look as good as new.

Can someone tell me the best way to make a donation to the forum?

Matt
There's a donations link on the site, I think Paypal works :thumbsup:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Matthew.

Post by Matthew. » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:32 am

Brill thanks. Will sort today. :thumbsup: