Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

My Winter Project - That got out of Hand!

Post your Z4 pictures! See sticky post at the top for details of the photo competition.
gannet
Lifer
Lifer

Re: My Winter Project - That got out of Hand!

Post by gannet » Mon May 04, 2015 10:25 am

wow, that looks great, well done :D

same colour as my phone :o
-- Gannet.
Current: MINI JCW... - Modification: Driver Upgraded :D
Previous: DS3 DSport, Z4 3.0SE, 206 GTi & XS, Alfa 147 Lusso

Ricardo1992

Post by Ricardo1992 » Mon May 04, 2015 11:53 am

Agree with a lot of the comments above. Car looks stunning! :thumbsup:
3.0i BMW z4 - 1.6L Citroen Saxo - Alpine Sunbeam

BradleyB

Post by BradleyB » Mon May 04, 2015 2:44 pm

That looks awesome! I even showed the missus I was so impressed!
'56 ///MR

ekimj10

Post by ekimj10 » Mon May 04, 2015 3:50 pm

Unbelievable job very well done, any idea number of manhours (days) you spent over the winter?
Like the Perspex rear screen, is that one you have made?
Just need the soft top covers to finish off the open top look.
2.2R Toledo Blue

Jollyjoiner

Post by Jollyjoiner » Mon May 04, 2015 4:04 pm

OMG thats well nice.

Cracking job dude :thumbsup:
2009 35i DCT silver
SLT mapped to 365bhp :)

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Taz » Mon May 04, 2015 4:29 pm

thats not just nice, its very nice

jaRED

Post by jaRED » Mon May 04, 2015 8:58 pm

That is a stunning looking car

I'm really interested in the stitching - what kind of machine is that done on?

Hope to see you at the National - really want to see this in reality
Redzed coupe gone but not forgotten :? , Lotus Evora providing the smiles now :driving:

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Machine monkey » Mon May 04, 2015 9:14 pm

I am with everyone else :thumbsup: cracking job that's a lot of work!! And it all looks very well executed :thumbsup:

I am planning on doing similar but being boring and keeping the same colour. But I will be painting it myself in a garage. Well barn!!
My little blue zed is in lots of bits. With lots of things started and not many finished! I may have found the limits of my time and ability!!

john-z4

Post by john-z4 » Mon May 04, 2015 9:16 pm

ekimj10 wrote:Unbelievable job very well done, any idea number of manhours (days) you spent over the winter?
Like the Perspex rear screen, is that one you have made?
Just need the soft top covers to finish off the open top look.
It was off the road anyway over winter, not being used. So I thought I'd give it a tidy up and got carried away. Majority of the work was done over Xmas. Sprayed & finishing touches took about a month or so during nice weather in March/April. In total, probably about 2-3 mths work. That's not working on it every day.

The Perspex screen, I made about 3 years ago when I first got the car. Its actually a smoked acrylic sheet from ebay, cut & shaped. Done the Z4 logo with a Dremmel. It also has an outline of a Z4 on it (not sure how clear this has come out in the pics), this was done with a scalpel, just etching the acrylic.
2.5i Roadster, Pearl Sunburst Orange, Angel Eyes, M Bumper, M steering wheel, 19" AVA Memphis alloys, Eibachs , 3.0i Brakes, Orange Calipers, Quad exhaust, Custom rear bumper, Rx8 seats, Facelift rear lights, + More. All mods homemade.

john-z4

Post by john-z4 » Mon May 04, 2015 9:20 pm

Taz wrote:thats not just nice, its very nice
That's high praise from you indeed, Taz! Obviously you realise its not a tin-top. :P Is it swaying you towards the roadster? :thumbsup:
2.5i Roadster, Pearl Sunburst Orange, Angel Eyes, M Bumper, M steering wheel, 19" AVA Memphis alloys, Eibachs , 3.0i Brakes, Orange Calipers, Quad exhaust, Custom rear bumper, Rx8 seats, Facelift rear lights, + More. All mods homemade.

john-z4

Post by john-z4 » Mon May 04, 2015 9:26 pm

jaRED wrote:That is a stunning looking car

I'm really interested in the stitching - what kind of machine is that done on?

Hope to see you at the National - really want to see this in reality
Yeah, we'll be at the National. We were there 2012, me and the Mrs. Mrs spent quite a while chatting with you at the hotel. We also spoke at Batemans BMW. Mine at the time was silver. Did say to you that I wanted to spray it a pearl red colour, but this idea changed 3 years on....its pearl orange instead.

The stitching I did by hand, sitting in me conservatory in the sun. Seat covers and door panels were all removed. I unpicked the original stitching, and just re-stitched with the orange cotton. Wasn't too bad to do.

john-z4

Post by john-z4 » Mon May 04, 2015 9:35 pm

Machine monkey wrote:I am with everyone else :thumbsup: cracking job that's a lot of work!! And it all looks very well executed :thumbsup:

I am planning on doing similar but being boring and keeping the same colour. But I will be painting it myself in a garage. Well barn!!
Hi MM. Thanks for your comments. I've been following your build and other creations you've done (where d'u think I got the exhaust idea from?!) Just changed it a little bit, and put mine closer together. Keeping it silvers not boring, but I just fancied a complete change. Its not really that much more work.

Good luck with spraying yours. With the quality of your machine work, you should be fine. My philosophy's the same as yours.....man in a shed, if it doesn't work, try it again!

jaRED

Post by jaRED » Mon May 04, 2015 9:40 pm

Ah yes I do remember, glad to see it's all worked out so well :)

Wow can't believe you did all that by hand. It's an amazing job. Would have been surprised that a domestic sewing machine had done it though as I know my local leather workshop that covered my dash have some big machines.

Even more keen to see it and you now :D

( if I buy the orange Lotus I may need to avoid parking next door though - may clash badly)
Redzed coupe gone but not forgotten :? , Lotus Evora providing the smiles now :driving:

john-z4

Post by john-z4 » Mon May 04, 2015 9:46 pm

jaRED wrote:Ah yes I do remember, glad to see it's all worked out so well :)

Wow can't believe you did all that by hand. It's an amazing job. Would have been surprised that a domestic sewing machine had done it though as I know my local leather workshop that covered my dash have some big machines.

Even more keen to see it and you now :D

( if I buy the orange Lotus I may need to avoid parking next door though - may clash badly)
Yeah, No big machine, just big hands! Hope getting the Lotus goes ahead. See you at the National, we won't miss each other!

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Machine monkey » Tue May 05, 2015 10:17 am

The exhaust looks really good very neet way to hang it.

Thanks i am hopefully starting work on it this evening :o Good philosophy it seems we would probably have much to talk about!! Hopfully see you at a meet soon :thumbsup:
My little blue zed is in lots of bits. With lots of things started and not many finished! I may have found the limits of my time and ability!!