Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Swiss / French Alps shots

Post your Z4 pictures! See sticky post at the top for details of the photo competition.
iwatchlive

Swiss / French Alps shots

Post by iwatchlive » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:18 pm

Hi All

Just had a wonderful drive in the Zed from France into Switzerland into France, Via the Alps, Chamonix and Mont Blanc Woo-Hoo - the best drive I have had so far in the Zed -Fandabeedozee

Will post a video next week once I get around to editing together some of the footage, and i'm also keeping a fair few of the photos up my sleeve for future PhotoComps :wink:

in the meantime, here's a wee taster...
The View through my window today

Mountain Sunset

Mont Blanc Reflections

enjoy :thumbsup:

Weather closing in

Mont Blanc in mist1

Deep Sea Blue and Blanc

Mountain Rescue 1

Nickm

Re: Swiss / French Alps shots

Post by Nickm » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:43 pm

Great pics mate :thumbsup:

iwatchlive

Post by iwatchlive » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:44 am

And there's more

sDrive35i

Glowing

Cliff Edge

Alpine Reflections
Last edited by iwatchlive on Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:24 am, edited 5 times in total.

WLH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by WLH » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:52 am

Very Nice.... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
2007 ///M Roadster - My Zed's - Member ZSCCA - ///M Registry - My Videos

iwatchlive

Post by iwatchlive » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:00 am

Thanks WLH & Nick, should be more there now

roofless

Post by roofless » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:13 am

Top drawer, love the cliff edge shot. Seeing all that brings back memories and just makes me all the more anxious to get on the ferry and get driving :thumbsup: :driving: :)
E89 35i manual, deep sea blue, pure white design package, adaptive M Sport suspension, multi spoke 293
'There's nothing so beautiful as the lingering scent of a warm summers day caressing you gently on the passing night air'

iwatchlive

Post by iwatchlive » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:14 pm

Thanks Mr Roofless. I prefer the tunnel myself, at £29 each way for a five day return it can't be beaten, and its so quick in relation to the drawn out Topsy turvy of the ferry too.

Some of those roads on the alpine route were just breathtaking, yet scary too, having a good 10000 feet drop with no barrier seemed mad, yet exhilarating all the same, until the local nutter in a bread van (no not a 1 series type) comes round the bend on the wrong side of the road that is, followed closely by what seemed to me to be a long stream of idiotic road greedy Germans (well the number plates were German anyhow) in big Audi's that couldn't drive with consideration for other road users, still that was my experience and is my own opinion :wink:

GAZA62
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GAZA62 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:28 pm

Very nice looks amazing keep thinking about some mountain road drives but i am not good with hights :( notice you cleaned the Z in one pic :thumbsup:

Thats a good price on the tunnel normally pay £84 for 5 day return did you go over and come back at very early or very late times ?
T.SILVER 2004 3.0SE AUTO

IF IT WAS NOT FOR BAD LUCK I'D HAVE NO LUCK AT ALL

roofless

Post by roofless » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:54 pm

iwatchlive wrote:Thanks Mr Roofless. I prefer the tunnel myself, at £29 each way for a five day return it can't be beaten, and its so quick in relation to the drawn out Topsy turvy of the ferry too.
I just like to see england disappearing out of sight, well as much as it can do crossing the channel, but the moment i see water between the ferry and the quay i know i am on holiday, psychologically it works the best for me. Have done the tunnel in the past but it feels too much like doing the train journey to work in london, not that i've done that for a while now but on the train i don't feel like i've actually made the break. I normally take 14 to 16 days for a trip and generally don't find the ferries overly expensive but yes it does take longer. Still it's only 20 minutes from my house to the ferry so i'm lucky on that front.
Great pictures, thanks for sharing and i hope it gives added motivation to anyone teetering on the brink of organising a road trip, just go and do it, it's a blast !! :thumbsup: :) :driving:
And for those who've already booked theirs - enjoy :thumbsup:
E89 35i manual, deep sea blue, pure white design package, adaptive M Sport suspension, multi spoke 293
'There's nothing so beautiful as the lingering scent of a warm summers day caressing you gently on the passing night air'

iwatchlive

Post by iwatchlive » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:08 pm

GAZA62 wrote:Very nice looks amazing keep thinking about some mountain road drives but i am not good with hights :( notice you cleaned the Z in one pic :thumbsup:

Thats a good price on the tunnel normally pay £84 for 5 day return did you go over and come back at very early or very late times ?
Too right I cleaned it, in between business I had two days to take the Zed out and washed / polished it on both days 8) :thumbsup:

wasn't late or early on the chunnel, I left at 10-50 am return was booked for 8-50 pm, however I arrived at 6-20 pm and they offered me the 6-50 return, very happy with that :roll:

petach

Post by petach » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:32 am

Nice mate....good pics.
Live FAST.....die when you can fit it into your busy schedule!

GAZA62
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GAZA62 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:27 am

iwatchlive wrote:
GAZA62 wrote:Very nice looks amazing keep thinking about some mountain road drives but i am not good with hights :( notice you cleaned the Z in one pic :thumbsup:

Too right I cleaned it, in between business I had two days to take the Zed out and washed / polished it on both days 8) :thumbsup:

wasn't late or early on the chunnel, I left at 10-50 am return was booked for 8-50 pm, however I arrived at 6-20 pm and they offered me the 6-50 return, very happy with that :roll:

Top man :thumbsup: nice to see i am not the only one who carrys a cleaning kit in the car when travelling.

Well done on that tunnel price i cannot get near that looking into weekend late Sept and the cheapest is £42 each way even mid week is the same price but cannot complain the tunnel fares get cheaper each year paid £140 5 day return in 2000 on trip to Le-Mans this year £84 :D
T.SILVER 2004 3.0SE AUTO

IF IT WAS NOT FOR BAD LUCK I'D HAVE NO LUCK AT ALL

Road Trip

Post by Road Trip » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:32 am

8)
10 M3 V8
07 M Roadster, Imola Red, Fully Loaded. SOLD
A Road Trip must contain - a visit to another country, an overnight stay, at least 500 miles.
It's not what you drive, it's where you've driven it that counts!

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Taz » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:38 am

nice :thumbsup:

did you not have any problems with snow and ice?

iwatchlive

Post by iwatchlive » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:01 am

Taz x wrote:nice :thumbsup:

did you not have any problems with snow and ice?
As soon as I hit about 1000 to 1500 feet, there was snow and ice everywhere (except the road surface)

The swiss mentioned that Scotland had received more snow this year than they had, but I think they forget that it hadn't stayed all winter in Scotland like it does in the higher areas of Switzerland. When I get round to posting some video you will see that as I get higher, the snow gets more intense and turns to ice, as well as several areas on the drive suffering from ice melt, causing the road get quite slippy in areas.

At the ground level before entering the mountain route to Chamonix it was between 7.5C on the Tuesday to 10.5C on the Thursday, yet within a mile of climb this had dropped to 0.5C and went as low as -1.5 until dusk, where it then dropped lower quite quickly (driving style changed considerably :wink: ) Have also confirmed that on my E89 with 19" rims/RFT there is no way to fit snow chains as there is just no room