Slipping clutch.

Alpina Specific discussion
Post Reply
markalp
Member
Member
Posts: 184
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:10 pm

Slipping clutch.

Post by markalp » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:09 pm

Was holding her on a hill last night when the smoke and the smell started, sure enough the clutch is on its way out, nothing in the cars history to say its every been changed so the OE one has lasted 85k, that isnt too bad.

I want to replace it with the Alpina OE part, does anyone have the Alpina part number so I can give it to my local mechanic to order and install, I'm assuming that the clutch is a standard fit item, so it wouldnt need to be taken to a BMW specialist.
Alpina Roadster S LUX #030

Online
User avatar
Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 5731
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:54 pm
Location: Chelmsford

Slipping clutch.

Post by Smartbear » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:43 pm

markalp wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:09 pm
Was holding her on a hill last night when the smoke and the smell started, sure enough the clutch is on its way out, nothing in the cars history to say its every been changed so the OE one has lasted 85k, that isnt too bad.

I want to replace it with the Alpina OE part, does anyone have the Alpina part number so I can give it to my local mechanic to order and install, I'm assuming that the clutch is a standard fit item, so it wouldnt need to be taken to a BMW specialist.
Hi, is your clutch now slipping or was the smell only while you were slipping it on the hill?
It may still be fine & you just overheated it?
Rob
Image

e89 Sdrive2.0 18i which has apparently turned into a 20i :D
e89 Sdrive3.0i this ones busted, pass me another
e85 3.0si-sold my trouble free car...

markalp
Member
Member
Posts: 184
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:10 pm

Slipping clutch.

Post by markalp » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:26 am

Smartbear wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:43 pm
markalp wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:09 pm
Was holding her on a hill last night when the smoke and the smell started, sure enough the clutch is on its way out, nothing in the cars history to say its every been changed so the OE one has lasted 85k, that isnt too bad.

I want to replace it with the Alpina OE part, does anyone have the Alpina part number so I can give it to my local mechanic to order and install, I'm assuming that the clutch is a standard fit item, so it wouldnt need to be taken to a BMW specialist.
Hi, is your clutch now slipping or was the smell only while you were slipping it on the hill?
It may still be fine & you just overheated it?
Rob
Good point, I have been babying it today. Tomorrow I will do the high gear standing start test.
Alpina Roadster S LUX #030

Online
User avatar
ph001
Member
Member
Posts: 621
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:53 pm
Location: N. Yorkshire.

Slipping clutch.

Post by ph001 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:03 am

Good point, I have been babying it today. Tomorrow I will do the high gear standing start test.
😬
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual.

Online
User avatar
Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 5731
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:54 pm
Location: Chelmsford

Slipping clutch.

Post by Smartbear » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:32 am

markalp wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:26 am
Smartbear wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:43 pm
markalp wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:09 pm
Was holding her on a hill last night when the smoke and the smell started, sure enough the clutch is on its way out, nothing in the cars history to say its every been changed so the OE one has lasted 85k, that isnt too bad.

I want to replace it with the Alpina OE part, does anyone have the Alpina part number so I can give it to my local mechanic to order and install, I'm assuming that the clutch is a standard fit item, so it wouldnt need to be taken to a BMW specialist.
Hi, is your clutch now slipping or was the smell only while you were slipping it on the hill?
It may still be fine & you just overheated it?
Rob
Good point, I have been babying it today. Tomorrow I will do the high gear standing start test.
I wouldn’t abuse it, just drive it normally & see if it slips when you accelerate hard. A high gear standing start test sounds like torture for even a healthy clutch :cry:
Rob
Image

e89 Sdrive2.0 18i which has apparently turned into a 20i :D
e89 Sdrive3.0i this ones busted, pass me another
e85 3.0si-sold my trouble free car...

markalp
Member
Member
Posts: 184
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:10 pm

Slipping clutch.

Post by markalp » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:16 pm

Smartbear wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:32 am
markalp wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:26 am
Smartbear wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:43 pm


Hi, is your clutch now slipping or was the smell only while you were slipping it on the hill?
It may still be fine & you just overheated it?
Rob
Good point, I have been babying it today. Tomorrow I will do the high gear standing start test.
I wouldn’t abuse it, just drive it normally & see if it slips when you accelerate hard. A high gear standing start test sounds like torture for even a healthy clutch :cry:
Rob
Gave the car a good hammering, lots of fast accelerating in low gears, and also I did do a few high gear standing starts and I couldnt detect any slkipping so looks like it just overheated, I'm wondering if removing the CDV would help considering i do alot of stop start and hill holding driving in london traffic. Or maybe I should just use neutral and the brake more lol
Alpina Roadster S LUX #030

User avatar
GuidoK
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 2321
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:37 am

Slipping clutch.

Post by GuidoK » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:38 pm

Give the clutch a good test to see if its really on its way out or not.
You can usually do that on the motorway in the highest gear around 3.5k rpm (where the engine gives maximum torque) and floor it. If it doesnt slip then, then theoretically it can hold the torque the engine provides.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests