Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Someone has been in my Zed overnight . . . .

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:55 am

So I left the house this morning for work and unlocked the car remotely (I think) and noticed a bunch of house keys on my windscreen where the screen meets the bonnet (drivers side).

Then I get in the car and notice the glove box is open and I realise that keys are the spare keys for our parent’s houses that we keep in the glove box.

Then I notice the lid to the cigarette lighter is open and the insert is missing along with my car park coins about 2 - 3 pounds in change.

Nothing else is missing – my leather driving gloves (in the glove box) the wheel locking nuts (in the glove box), my satnav and CDs, my sunglasses and my driving glasses (in the centre console between the seats) – all untouched.
There is no sign of forced entry and no vandalism.

Here is my take on what happened:

I forgot to lock the car and kids have taken the money and checked the glove box for more. Found the keys and left them for me to find on the windscreen as some sort of bizarre ‘calling card’?

Your thoughts welcomed . . .
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:09 am

I would say leaving unlocked is most likely. Kids/junkies looking for a quick few quid? Do you have a dash cam to check?
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

Crazy Harry

Post by Crazy Harry » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:15 am

Oh - never a good feeling.

A few quid might be the best outcome given that you have no damage to the car and personal stuff is all there. Can the E85 be coded to lock after the ignition is turned off and doors are closed if it has not been manually locked after a given time delay? This is the sort of challenge Scooba-Steve likes isn't it!

One of our Fords locks if you unlock it and don't open the door - never tried not locking though. Might go and play when it stops raining.

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:30 am

Scooba_Steve wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:09 am I would say leaving unlocked is most likely. Kids/junkies looking for a quick few quid? Do you have a dash cam to check?
No dash cam Steve.
911 997 Carrera S

jamie_z4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by jamie_z4 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:35 am

you need a Dash Cam Colin! They are cheap and really handy to have! never a nice feeling tho knowing some scally has been rooting through your car
18 Z4s owned to date.

Current: 2.5i Titan silver

Daily driver: 480bhp M140i Shadow edition.

idej_z4

Post by idej_z4 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:42 pm

Must be very young kids looking for an easy 'score' otherwise I would have thought your Sat Nav would be gone (and anything else that can be easily flogged).

Many a times I've gone back to my car and double checked I've locked it - I hate that nagging feeling in the back of your head 'did I leave it open'.

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:04 pm

Dash cam wouldn't catch this though :?

Regarding auto locking, it can only be coded to lock if unlocked and not opened (after 2 mins from memory it auto locks). No end of people would get locked out if the car auto locked after turning the ignition off and just closing the door.

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:07 pm

Crazy Harry wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:15 am Oh - never a good feeling.

A few quid might be the best outcome given that you have no damage to the car and personal stuff is all there. Can the E85 be coded to lock after the ignition is turned off and doors are closed if it has not been manually locked after a given time delay? This is the sort of challenge Scooba-Steve likes isn't it!

One of our Fords locks if you unlock it and don't open the door - never tried not locking though. Might go and play when it stops raining.
Locking after unlock and no open can be turned on as it's an option. I don't think anything else can but will have a look again.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

Silverzedtom

Post by Silverzedtom » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:07 pm

A dash cam would only be any good if it's still there.

I'm not a thief, but if I was the first thing I'd yank out of the car would be the cam.
E85 2.5si
F55 Cooper S

coupedan

Post by coupedan » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:15 pm

Following on from a similar thread...

Ghosts!

Buckz

Post by Buckz » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:24 pm

CCTV? Depends where you park it I guess. Mine always overlooks the car in front of our house.

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:13 pm

Thanks for all the comments fellas.

I agree that I've got away lightly here with no damage and only a couple of quid taken and my £275 TomTom left.
Taking the bunch of keys from the glove box and leaving them on the drivers windscreen is very odd behaviour, but I'm just glad they didn't key it while they were at it.

I will be double checking I've locked up from now on :cry:
911 997 Carrera S

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:55 pm

My mirrors auto fold when locked so it's a belt and braces double check !
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Silverzedtom

Post by Silverzedtom » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:08 pm

Now I've thought about it last night I was adamant I had locked the car, every time I always check the clown nose and look for the flash.

I had left some shopping in the boot, went out to get it and the car was unlocked. I have read a few posts on z4s being on a similar frequency to doorbells etc... maybe, but I suspect we are just losing our marbles :roll:
E85 2.5si
F55 Cooper S

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:20 pm

I'm told by the Electronic boffins that there is a very narrow band width for stuff like alarms/door bells etc ?
I had a car with an after market alarm that I could not disable between 0720 and 0740 each day ? It all started to happen after the install of a sub station with dish type devices. I suspect they were streaming data - they pointed towards the police HQ
As the frequency fobs use is low powered - they told me it was easily swamped by other signals.

I hope somebody will correct me if I've been fed some duff info :thumbsup:
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup: