Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Opinions wanted...

Discuss anything non Z4 related here

If you buy something which is "not as described" should you bear the cost of returning it?

Yes, it's just one of those things
8%
No, the cost should be borne by the seller
90%
Hell no, and how about some compensation for the hassle (this option added as a joke btw)
3%

Total votes: 39

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Opinions wanted...

Post by Ducklakeview » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:20 pm

Ok, say you bought something from someone that was described as, and I quote "No marks or blemishes on it. No dents, scratches or chips" and when said item arrived, it had multiple marks, chips and blemishes on it, so you sent the seller a message, along with photos, and they said "No problem, send it back" All good so far?

So, you send it back, via a traceable service, insured for it's full value, seller then messages you implying that you've had "buyers remorse" and, again I quote..
"Don't worry, if I have any doubts as to judging whether or not it was "as described" or is in such a bad state that "it couldn't possibly be given as a gift" then I will take it along to get get some well qualified IT professionals to give me their opinion."

And then a full week later, messages you to say he's refunded the original purchase price, but NOT the cost of returning it, would you be pissed?

IMO, the fact that he's refunded it is an acceptance of my issue that it "wasn't as described" but before I royally kick off, I thought I'd ask other people's opinions, and we all know how much we like a poll...

So... Answers on a postcard please..

And yes, the cost of return was "only" £8.55, but it's the principle plus the inconvenience of having to wrap and send it AND buy another the same elsewhere.

Mike

metal licker
Lifer
Lifer

Opinions wanted...

Post by metal licker » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:29 pm

I went with the hell no :)
718 4.0 GTS Boxster in YELLOW :driving:
718 Guards Red Boxster .........Gone!
A35 AMG saloon .........Gone!
JCW ...........Gone !
E89 35i Msport VO ................Gone !
E89 23i SE DSB ................Gone !

Hello to Jason Isaacs

volumex65

Opinions wanted...

Post by volumex65 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:38 pm

just had similar issue with a toy my youngest wanted - described `as new , unopened` - it wasn`t new , was opened and selotaped back up with bits missing !!
luckily , the seller was a 100% , was `selling for a friend` and didn`t want negative feedback so as there were so many bits missing said we could keep it , saved me a lot of hassle as would not have wanted to pay to return it
You don`t need a parachute to skydive - you only need one to do it for a second time :exitright:

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Opinions wanted...

Post by ronk » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:36 pm

I had this same issue with a pen from eBay - described as AS NEW - it wasn't - i reported this to the seller and my purchase price was refunded and I was told "Just keep it" Thats good service in my book!

You should have ALL costs refunded in my opinion. :thumbsup:
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Opinions wanted...

Post by cj10jeeper » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:36 pm

Was this Ebay or some other internet seller? If the former just open a case and it'll be refunded. I've had same a couple of times where seller wouldn't refund then Ebay just stepped in and it was paid.

The latter is a mine field of issues and although I'd expect return postage paid it'll be tough to get it.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

idej_z4

Opinions wanted...

Post by idej_z4 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:42 pm

I'm one of the two that said yes. :cry:

My reasoning is, you're buying second hand (or through a third party) and sometimes it's the risk you take. Granted they shouldn't lie but who is regulating what they say about an item.

You're buying second hand (or through a third a third party) usually to save money paying the full price...but if you pay full price you get the added security it will be brand new, under warranty and free to exchange.

Sometimes you get what you pay for - sounds a bit harsh I know. At least they refunded you the money, could have been a lot worse and gone on for a lot longer.

Also £8.55 is an amount of money to care about, but then again it's only two pints and a packet of crisps (if you're lucky).

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Opinions wanted...

Post by Ducklakeview » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:59 pm

cj10jeeper wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:36 pm Was this Ebay or some other internet seller? If the former just open a case and it'll be refunded. I've had same a couple of times where seller wouldn't refund then Ebay just stepped in and it was paid.

The latter is a mine field of issues and although I'd expect return postage paid it'll be tough to get it.
A forum member...

Mike

bluespit

Opinions wanted...

Post by bluespit » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:00 pm

I've been on the wrong end of this buying some alloys for my classic stag that were described as excellent. When they arrived they were good buy certainly not excellent. Problem was we had different ideas of excellent and good. Seller offered a refund providing I returned the wheels and paid return cartridge. I declined as I'd lost trust in the seller. Eventually sold them on to another stag owner after thoroughly describing then and taking numerous hi-res photos. I also insisted the buyer collect in person and pay only after he was happy with the condition.

Never again!
now I'm about to have more time I've suddenly got less toys to play with!

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Opinions wanted...

Post by Marlon » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:20 pm

Nice Poll :)
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

idej_z4

Opinions wanted...

Post by idej_z4 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:33 pm

Ducklakeview wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:59 pm
cj10jeeper wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:36 pm Was this Ebay or some other internet seller? If the former just open a case and it'll be refunded. I've had same a couple of times where seller wouldn't refund then Ebay just stepped in and it was paid.

A forum member...

Mike
In that case...it's just disrespectful!

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Opinions wanted...

Post by cj10jeeper » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:46 pm

Sadly forum member to member can be a challenge as it's just a private sale.
Hopefully it can be resolved by s call or PM, but not a public trial...
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Opinions wanted...

Post by Ducklakeview » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:55 pm

cj10jeeper wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:46 pm Sadly forum member to member can be a challenge as it's just a private sale.
Poll was just a bit of fun lol.
Couldn't care less about the money, but having both bought and sold to members on here without a problem, to say it's disappointing is an understatement.

Lesson learned eh.

Mike

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Opinions wanted...

Post by Scooba_Steve » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:57 pm

I would be asking for the postage. You know their address, so there's always small claims if you want to force the issue.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Opinions wanted...

Post by ronk » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:05 pm

Without basic trust it can easily go belly up !
I think there's still a lot of good, decent , honest folk about. :thumbsup:

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Opinions wanted...

Post by ronk » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:13 pm

cj10jeeper wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:46 pm Sadly forum member to member can be a challenge as it's just a private sale.
I agree with the "no public trial " but If it's been something naughty or underhanded, do the mods not have any powers to intervene in some way?