Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

The effectiveness of a proper suspension overhaul..

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Wed May 17, 2017 12:33 pm

This is for a porsche 996, but from experience I know the same goes for a z4 (except paying porsche money of upgrades :wink: ), but he puts it in better words than I ever could :)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KLBGVClpX0&t

enjoy :thumbsup:
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Wed May 17, 2017 1:10 pm

Have to concur. Recently did ALL of the rear bushes on mine, and then had an alignment done... Transformation is an understatement...

Mike

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Wed May 17, 2017 1:14 pm

interesting guido.
but i got distracted by this in the youtube sidebar halfway through.... :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3y0UR7Fjfsc
Remember watching this as a 9 yr old. happy days. snif. :roll:
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Post by tomscott » Wed May 17, 2017 1:23 pm

Still £6+k for sus upgrades.... gulp

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Wed May 17, 2017 2:06 pm

tomscott wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 1:23 pm Still £6+k for sus upgrades.... gulp
If you do it on a z4 budget:
KW V3 £1700
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KW-coilovers- ... 2124637048

H&R swaybar kit £360
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/H-R-Sport-Swa ... 2648706414

Strongflex full suspension bush kit (includes subframe, diff etc etc) £332
http://www.strongflex.eu/en/e46/735-ful ... 19143.html

So little under £2400 with excellent components; thats over 3600 less than the 911
Thats the difference between porsche money and bmw money :wink: :roll:

As for the work: I had all the z4's rear axle bushings removed in about 3 hours! I just dropped the whole rear axle (ok that took me 2 hours too) And fitting PU bushings is a breeze.
So what those prof. mechanics were mumbling about.. I dont know :roll:
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Post by tomscott » Wed May 17, 2017 6:55 pm

Still I'm sure 18 YO components are difficult to get out!

Labour does sounds expensive

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Wed May 17, 2017 7:13 pm

tomscott wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 6:55 pm Still I'm sure 18 YO components are difficult to get out!
It really depends on the state of your car and the competence (and tools that he uses) of the mechanic.
A pressed in bushing always requires some expertise and quality tools. Old car or new car.

Like I said, if you really put your shoulders into it, you can do it in a day. But you must have a carlift, and a bush extracting set and some other tools (transmission jack etc). A professonal mechanic should be able to.
Obviously paying for labour is always expensive, but one could always rent a car lift at a diy garage. Even if it takes 2 day's, thats probably about £200 or so.
What can take up time is for example an exaust that doesnt want to come off, but thats also a matter of in what state the car is.

Darkangelv2

Post by Darkangelv2 » Thu May 18, 2017 8:08 pm

tomscott wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 6:55 pm Still I'm sure 18 YO components are difficult to get out!

Labour does sounds expensive
Roundozo and I were discussing this - possibly easier to pick up a used rear subframe, give it a paint and start fitting bushes off the car?

Then swap in.

As per video, I'm expecting no great shakes on the front end. With the rear I'm currently only looking at doing RTabs and roll bar (polybushes) at the moment on due to fear of difficulties with the rest of the subframe.

That said, is it worth adding away bar links? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251742171970
BMW Z4 2006 2.5SI - 437M Wheels - Strut Brace - H&R ARBs
3.0si Brake Conversion - Custom Nappa Sport Interior - Z4M Bumper+Bonnet -
BC Racing BR Coilovers - AFE Stage 2

Darkangelv2

Post by Darkangelv2 » Thu May 18, 2017 8:12 pm

GuidoK wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 7:13 pm
It really depends on the state of your car and the competence (and tools that he uses) of the mechanic.
A pressed in bushing always requires some expertise and quality tools. Old car or new car.

Like I said, if you really put your shoulders into it, you can do it in a day. But you must have a carlift, and a bush extracting set and some other tools (transmission jack etc). A professonal mechanic should be able to.
Obviously paying for labour is always expensive, but one could always rent a car lift at a diy garage. Even if it takes 2 day's, thats probably about £200 or so.
What can take up time is for example an exaust that doesnt want to come off, but thats also a matter of in what state the car is.
I've been quoted £600 by 2 different BMW indies and that didn't include complete rear bush replacement or alignment.

As I said above, looking to do it myself as I'm pretty competent and prefer to spend the money on the tools.

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Thu May 18, 2017 8:21 pm

Age + mileage doesn't always dictate that a Z will need suspension overhaul though , in my experience its not something that you can say at XXXX yrs or xxxx miles it will need switching out :? the Stratus grey Si roady i had last year on 85k 11 yrs old was a dream to drive even on 19s :driving: also a few weeks back i took a forum guys 2007 3.0Si out approx 65k & that too just soaked up the bumps + twists that it would worry me switching stuff out & spoiling whats already a good car :?
Meddling when its not needed can easily produce a poorer outcome
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Fri May 19, 2017 9:25 am

Darkangelv2 wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 8:08 pm

Roundozo and I were discussing this - possibly easier to pick up a used rear subframe, give it a paint and start fitting bushes off the car?

Then swap in.
This is certainly a good idea.

I also painted all the suspension arms, beadblasted all the aluminium parts etc, and that took far far more time than swapping out the bushings.
Getting the axle from underneath the car and removing all the bushings took me a long evening. Painting and doing up all the parts took me a week :lol:

Before (in all honesty, it was still in relative good nick if I see some of the more rusted UK parts due to the poor weather...)

After:

Mind you, if you take another back axle to do up, you're stuck with the condition of some parts like diff/driveshafts (obviously you can swap those out, but painting them etc takes time), and the brake rotor rear plates. You cant remove them without removing the rotor hub (which requires fitting new bearings), or you have to modify those plates.

Here I have a spreadsheet with most of the possibilities of polybushing your car:
https://audio.home.xs4all.nl/zooi/z4/bussen/xls/

If you do something like this I can only recommend 1 thing: get a generic bush pressing kit like this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Bearing-S ... 1820250531
You'll still might need some sockets and rings for a few of the harder to reach bushings, but it makes things so easy.

The only bushings where I applied some heat was on the subframe bushings. I didnt burn them out, but just to loosen them up slightly (warm rubber is more plyable), because its difficult to get a good fit on them with the cups supplied in the kit above.

That said, is it worth adding away bar links? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251742171970
My experience is that the rubber of the stock links is a pretty tight fit on the swaybar ends. Getting it out and swapping these in might be a pain.

Darkangelv2

Post by Darkangelv2 » Fri May 19, 2017 11:42 am

GuidoK wrote: Fri May 19, 2017 9:25 am
Darkangelv2 wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 8:08 pm

Then swap in.
This is certainly a good idea.

I also painted all the suspension arms, beadblasted all the aluminium parts etc, and that took far far more time than swapping out the bushings.
Getting the axle from underneath the car and removing all the bushings took me a long evening. Painting and doing up all the parts took me a week :lol:

Mind you, if you take another back axle to do up, you're stuck with the condition of some parts like diff/driveshafts (obviously you can swap those out, but painting them etc takes time), and the brake rotor rear plates. You cant remove them without removing the rotor hub (which requires fitting new bearings), or you have to modify those plates.

Here I have a spreadsheet with most of the possibilities of polybushing your car:
https://audio.home.xs4all.nl/zooi/z4/bussen/xls/

If you do something like this I can only recommend 1 thing: get a generic bush pressing kit like this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Bearing-S ... 1820250531
You'll still might need some sockets and rings for a few of the harder to reach bushings, but it makes things so easy.

The only bushings where I applied some heat was on the subframe bushings. I didnt burn them out, but just to loosen them up slightly (warm rubber is more plyable), because its difficult to get a good fit on them with the cups supplied in the kit above.

My experience is that the rubber of the stock links is a pretty tight fit on the swaybar ends. Getting it out and swapping these in might be a pain.
Thanks for all that Guido. Looks like a fantastic job you did.

It appears that space, time and tools would limit me to just updating the 'accessible' bushes in that case.

Leesfarm07

Post by Leesfarm07 » Mon May 22, 2017 12:37 am

Ducklakeview wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 1:10 pm Have to concur. Recently did ALL of the rear bushes on mine, and then had an alignment done... Transformation is an understatement...

Mike
So what does the newly bushed car feel like Mike?
Current
2012 Mercedes SLK 250 AMG Sport auto in black
Westfield SE 1800 Zetec on twin 45's Aldon-Tuned pocket rocket in orange
Gone but not forgotten my lovely Zed 2.5

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Mon May 22, 2017 8:15 pm

Leesfarm07 wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 12:37 am
Ducklakeview wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 1:10 pm Have to concur. Recently did ALL of the rear bushes on mine, and then had an alignment done... Transformation is an understatement...

Mike
A revelation.. Planted and precise now :)

Mike

Leesfarm07

Post by Leesfarm07 » Wed May 24, 2017 8:21 am

Ducklakeview wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 8:15 pm
Leesfarm07 wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 12:37 am

Mike
A revelation.. Planted and precise now :)

Mike
Did you OEM bush everything or go down the poly bush route?
Current
2012 Mercedes SLK 250 AMG Sport auto in black
Westfield SE 1800 Zetec on twin 45's Aldon-Tuned pocket rocket in orange
Gone but not forgotten my lovely Zed 2.5