Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

time for a rant - variable motorway speed limits

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
bluespit

Post by bluespit » Thu May 11, 2017 3:23 pm

OK, I'm a country boy and more used to driving twisty A roads round North Wales than overloaded motorways round Birmingham. But this week thats exactly what I'm doing. One week a year I travel about 1000 miles as part of my job, this year I'm doing Cardiff, Birmingham and Hereford areas, mostly on motorways.

These variable speedliits are positively dangerous. Heres the scenario, I'm bumbling along at around 75 in the 5 series when the overhead gantry thing sudden says 50, speed camera sign showing so what does everyone do, me included? Yep, slam on the brakes do drop 25mph in maybe 200m, chaos left right and centre, folks too busy checking the speed to watch the road and cars swerving within and across lanes. Utter madness.

next gantry is down to 40, same again, then 50.

theres speed camera signs everywhere, paranoid drivers (including me) spending as much time watching the speedo as the road and folk changing lanes all over the place.

And then theres the extra lane thing on the hard shoulder thats available, no it isn't, oh yes it is thing going on.

BONKERS!

get me back home where I know how it all works..................
now I'm about to have more time I've suddenly got less toys to play with!

Buckz

Post by Buckz » Thu May 11, 2017 3:34 pm

bluespit wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 3:23 pm OK, I'm a country boy and more used to driving twisty A roads round North Wales than overloaded motorways round Birmingham. But this week thats exactly what I'm doing. One week a year I travel about 1000 miles as part of my job, this year I'm doing Cardiff, Birmingham and Hereford areas, mostly on motorways.

These variable speedliits are positively dangerous. Heres the scenario, I'm bumbling along at around 75 in the 5 series when the overhead gantry thing sudden says 50, speed camera sign showing so what does everyone do, me included? Yep, slam on the brakes do drop 25mph in maybe 200m, chaos left right and centre, folks too busy checking the speed to watch the road and cars swerving within and across lanes. Utter madness.

theres speed camera signs everywhere, paranoid drivers (including me) spending as much time watching the speedo as the road and folk changing lanes all over the place.

And then theres the extra lane thing on the hard shoulder thats available, no it isn't, oh yes it is thing going on.

BONKERS!

yup literally CANNOT stand avg speed zones.. people are all over the place in them. Dangerous.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Thu May 11, 2017 3:47 pm

bluespit wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 3:23 pm OK, I'm a country boy and more used to driving twisty A roads round North Wales than overloaded motorways round Birmingham. But this week thats exactly what I'm doing. One week a year I travel about 1000 miles as part of my job, this year I'm doing Cardiff, Birmingham and Hereford areas, mostly on motorways.

BONKERS!

Well, much as I love an argument . I'm going to agree with every word of that. :thumbsup:

Tcochrane92

Post by Tcochrane92 » Thu May 11, 2017 4:16 pm

I'd be interested in seeing the statistics for crash heat zones. I bet they're concentrated in those exact areas. I.e. they're actually CAUSING accidents and creating traffic
Current: Imola Red 400bhp 640d & Ocean Blue BMW S1000XR Sport SE
Past: Silver Grey Z4MR, Silver Grey Z4C & Titan Silver Z4 3.0i

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Thu May 11, 2017 5:11 pm

I have always thought this with all speed cameras.
They are supposed to be there as the road might have been an accident blackspot so the camera is there to lower the speed of drivers.
What then happens is people stop looking at the road and focus on their speedo to make sure they dont get done.
If something was to run out in front of you while looking at your speedo you could possibly not see it until too late.
Speed cameras dont really work as people speed before them and then after them to make up time therefor they are just a cash generating machine.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nanu » Thu May 11, 2017 7:43 pm

It's always the same when you are going along nicely at 70ish then a variable speed limit kicks in and the inevitable traffic jam occurs. :x

To think they are trying to cut air polution and jams just create more
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

Silverzedtom

Post by Silverzedtom » Thu May 11, 2017 8:17 pm

Agreed. Half the time the stupid effing things have clearly been left on HOURS after peak times / an accident and the motorway is deserted.
Ridiculous :thumbsdown:
E85 2.5si
F55 Cooper S