Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Private plate and Insurance (Update)

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Confused®

Private plate and Insurance

Post by Confused® » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:38 pm

Ok. got my renewal by email from axa, it runs out 12/02. changed the number back to the original number plate and it came down £150, no cookies or incognito tabs used. I'm going to phone the insurance on the 12 /2 and put my number plate back on, pay admin fee if need be :thumbsup: Just a heads up to anyone with private plates when renewing their policy. Hope it helps someone. I will update on the 12/2

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:51 pm

obewan wrote:
TitanTim wrote:I may be talking completely rubbish here :) but I was reading on another forum about using comparison sites for insurance quotes and that the same quote can increase if you make multiple visits on the same comparison site. It was suggested that you need to delete tracking cookies etc. Some have found if you do this the quotes have gone down. I don't know if this is true or why the same quote would go up if you visit the same comparison site more than once :?

Tim.
I believe that is correct Tim - I found out to my cost it's also the same booking a holiday on line
Every time I went back to the site and looked again at the holiday I fancied, the price had gone up.
After finally booking (and paying forty quid more) I mentioned to my son who belatedly told me what was happening and said I should have used the incognito tab :(
Thanks for confirming that :thumbsup: I don't use comparison sites very often but that makes me angry if thats the case as you could potentially lose alot of money when the whole idea of going on those sites is to save it :cry:

Tim.

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:18 pm

raymond.harper wrote:This from confused.com........
But drivers who are thinking about splashing out on personalised car trimmings should first consider the insurance implications; namely that if your vehicle is stolen or written off, your private plate may be at risk.

In a study of 226 car insurance policies Gocompare.com found** that if a car insurance policy includes cover for personalised number plates and a claim is made for the cost of the car, including the plate, then the insurer owns the vehicle that the registration number is assigned to and, therefore, owns the rights to the registration number. The claimant can buy the registration number back if the insurer is willing to sell it to the policyholder or hasn’t already sold it on, for no more than the settlement price. If the vehicle has already been disposed of by the insurance company then all rights to the registration plate go with the vehicle.

But that’s not the end of the personalised plate conundrum.

If a vehicle with a personalised plate is stolen, its owner will have to wait 12 months to get the number plate back. They will also have to prove that the car had a valid MOT and tax at the time of theft to reclaim the personalised plate.

If the vehicle has been written off, the owner should contact the DVLA and the insurer to let them know that they want to keep the plate – the insurer will then write a letter of non-interest and send it to the DVLA. The registered keeper will have to pay a retention fee to keep the plate if they don’t have another vehicle to transfer it to. The registration transfer fees are changing from 9 March 2015. The retention fee will be reduced to £80, while the fee for transfer will remain the same at £80. The period that a registration number can be retained for is also being changed from 1, 2 or 3 years to 10 years, the annual retention fee of £25 will also be removed from 9 March 2015.

Motorists who have had their vehicle with a personalised number plate written off have to work fast. If the car is scrapped the number plate dies with it. The registration number moves with the vehicle it is assigned to, not the person who may have bought the registration number.

Read more at http://www.gocompare.com/press-office/2 ... kKQHlyE.99
One I heard years ago was on one of the bike forums.
A guy wrote off one of his bike that had a private plate on it.
Years later the same plate was transferred to a different bike and HPI checks showed it to be a write off.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

GBZ4

Post by GBZ4 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:26 pm

I've had my own reggie number for the passed 12yrs and I've never come across this before. That amount of reduction would suggest I've been paying about 35% more than without my number on the 3er. The Z also has a private plate and again £150 reduction would suggest I'm paying 50% more for the privilege of a private plate. It does seen strange :idunno:
2016 E89 18i Roadster - gone and forgotten

GreyZed

Post by GreyZed » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:31 pm

Surely displaying a cherished number plate on the front of your car will not affect your insurance?

Unless of course you shove said number plate into the arse end of another vehicle! :evil:
3.0 auto, sterling grey, hardtop, prfessional nav, dsp, digital tv, bluetooth, cruise, xenons, mfsw, cupholders, auto lights, auto wipers, folding mirrors, memory seats, wind deflector, pdc, 108s, LED sides/fogs, stubby, intravee, need a quad exhaust!

Confused®

Post by Confused® » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:11 pm

Not surprised with the disbelief, if i was reading a post like this i would think the same, i have changed the reg and no other details a number of times with same result, i have a cherished plate on my daily also but changing that makes no difference, its only a z issue, maybe its because its a Irish dateless number, not sure. on the 12th of Feb when payment goes out i will be on the phone to put the private plate back on, see what happens. if it goes up i will put it on retention maybe sell it. Its a FIL number :thumbsup:

Confused®

Post by Confused® » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:31 pm

Just a update, Changed back to my private plate on the website, all good. saved £146.80. worth keeping inmind when renewing with a cherished plate.

KERMIT1970

Post by KERMIT1970 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:36 pm

I bought a RR a month ago & phoned admiral to put my plate on it, no change to policy or admin charge as I said at the time of change of vehicle that plate would be going back on. :thumbsup:
Cars: 2016 M4 vert YMB & X3m Comp. E30 325i Sport. Z3M

Gone
: 2014 z4 35is melbourne red & black leather
: 335d M sport Coupe Black with red leather
: z4 Coupe 3.0 si Red with Black Leather 18" CSL`s
: z3 2.2 sport

Confused®

Post by Confused® » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:12 pm

Yep I've had the plate on the car for a couple of years, it's just this year's renewal that i accidently highlighted a premium for having it on. when you get your renewal try a quote with your old number see what happens. you may win you may not its just a heads up.

dhobbs

Post by dhobbs » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:56 pm

I recently got a private plate and told insurance company, no charge.
Renewal wasn't much more and more than likely to be normal annual rises. Shopped around and used cash back site saved 80 quid. That's with LV.
3.0si roadster. Requisite stubby. Sound gen mod. LED numberplate lights. LED boot strip. Interior lights LED too. ZHP gearknob. Daily drive :driving:
Motor in boot. Bilstein B8 dampers. New radio, much better sounds :thumbsup:

un1eash

Post by un1eash » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:19 pm

Im with Admiral and my plate has never affected price, they also allow changes to the policy in the first 30 days without charge.