Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Sodding neighbours

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Sodding neighbours

Post by ronk » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:38 am

I've got a pollock of a neighbour !
The idiot washes his car whatever the weather - tonight it was just prior to the temp dropping below zero - now I have a frozen river across the road in front of my house.
It's not a problem if driving but I wanted to walk up the road to see a pal tonight but couldn't cross the ice rink ( I have a wobbly leg problem and a blue badge ) There are no footpaths to use .

The guy is a prize tit and probably won't listen to any reasonable request - does anybody know of any legal responsibility he has please?
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Sodding neighbours

Post by buzyg » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:45 am

Yup, if you are injured on that ice he is liable, as far as I am aware. Certainly if it's on his land. Proving it is another matter.

We have a salt bin in the Garage, so I just throw a shovel of salt on when something like that happens. Which is about one every Blue moon, this being Cornwall. :wink:

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Sodding neighbours

Post by Chris_D » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:47 am

Kill him.
yw :thumbsup:
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Sodding neighbours

Post by ronk » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:54 am

Chris_D wrote:Kill him.
yw :thumbsup:

You mean the softly softly aproach!!! :rofl:

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Sodding neighbours

Post by Smartbear » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:58 am

Best thing is to knock & ask him politely not to do it, its easy for these things to escalate & get messy.
Hope he listens to reason.
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Sodding neighbours

Post by ronk » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:09 am

Smartbear wrote:Best thing is to knock & ask him politely not to do it, its easy for these things to escalate & get messy.
Rob
That's what normal / decent folk do - but the bloke is a pillock first class.

There was some jolly japes where he previously worked - the boys in the office called him a crafty butcher because he didn't like football - he took the employer to court after the sack / condtuctve dismissal - and won !!!

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Sodding neighbours

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:11 am

ronk wrote:I've got a pollock of a neighbour !
The idiot washes his car whatever the weather - tonight it was just prior to the temp dropping below zero - now I have a frozen river across the road in front of my house.
It's not a problem if driving but I wanted to walk up the road to see a pal tonight but couldn't cross the ice rink ( I have a wobbly leg problem and a blue badge ) There are no footpaths to use .

The guy is a prize tit and probably won't listen to any reasonable request - does anybody know of any legal responsibility he has please?
Sounds fishy having a pollock for a neighbour!

But AFAIK there is no statutory obligation on your neighbour (i.e. he hasn't committed any criminal offence). :|

Although he does have a duty under Common Law not to cause damage and/or injury as a result of his negligence - negligence being defined in case law as something a "reasonable" man should (or should not) have done.

This sort of stuff gets seriously complicated (and very expensive!) but if your house insurance includes Legal Expenses cover you could try calling the insurer and see if they can help - but even if they can you need to bear in mind you will still be living next door to the pillock which can cause further issues!

You don't say whether you have actually spoken to the neighbour and explained your situation, but if not that may well be a good idea as a starting point! Even if you do end up pursuing a solution through the courts they like to be convinced that there has been some effort to reach a negotiated agreement before they are involved.

Hope you get things sorted anyway. :thumbsup:

Just read a few more replies - smartbear has it nailed! :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

jimbo1958
Lifer
Lifer

Sodding neighbours

Post by jimbo1958 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:12 am

ronk wrote:
Smartbear wrote:Best thing is to knock & ask him politely not to do it, its easy for these things to escalate & get messy.
Rob
That's what normal / decent folk do - but the bloke is a pillock first class.

There was some jolly japes where he previously worked - the boys in the office called him a crafty butcher because he didn't like football - he took the employer to court after the sack / condtuctve dismissal - and won !!!
I thought a Crafty Butcher likes his meat deivered 'round the rear entrance? :scratchhead:

Ahh!! I get it. :D
Z4 e85 3.0 - GONE
Z4 e89 35i - GONE
Jaguar F Type V6s Roadster :driving:
Abarth 695 Rivale :driving:

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Sodding neighbours

Post by ronk » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:37 am

He's not what you could call a mans man in the true sense of the word - the banter in an office that I'm used to would, and has offended him !

I have previously allowed him to errect scaffolding on my adjoining property to effect repairs but his builders left debris and he refused to clean up - a decent neighbour would have I think!

I think he will have to jump thro many hoops to get my approval for scaffolding etc again !

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Sodding neighbours

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:29 am

Shame, but the simplest answer if you aren't happy is to move! :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Sodding neighbours

Post by TitanTim » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:50 am

Robs right it's best to mention it to him, he might not realise the problem. Alternatively contact your local highways Authority and check if the road is gritted or for advice and voice your concerns it's a hazard for vehicles etc.

Tim.

Sodding neighbours

Post by sticky » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:15 am

Talk to him first "friendly" , If he gets nobby then mention that you will be claiming for negligence on his part by causing the problem. The word CLAIM might wake him up . The other parts to consider are, where the water runs ie on public road, the local council can advise on that and environmental issues (soapy water causing slip hazard when frozen). and is there any restrictions on washing the car there even if it is on his own driveway??

Stan

Dav the wheel nut
Lifer
Lifer

Sodding neighbours

Post by Dav the wheel nut » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:54 am

ronk wrote:I have previously allowed him to errect scaffolding on my adjoining property to effect repairs but his builders left debris and he refused to clean up - a decent neighbour would have I think!
Well all that shite would have ended back over his fence without a doubt :evil:

Sodding neighbours

Post by sticky » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:28 am

Dav the wheel nut wrote:
ronk wrote:I have previously allowed him to errect scaffolding on my adjoining property to effect repairs but his builders left debris and he refused to clean up - a decent neighbour would have I think!
Well all that shite would have ended back over his fence without a doubt :evil:

That and more, teach him some manners

raymond.harper

Sodding neighbours

Post by raymond.harper » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:29 am

Get an old car. When he has washed his car again and ice has formed in the dead of night drive old banger onto ice straight into his car. Don't have to do this at speed just a gentle slow impact down the side of his car which will probably rended it a write off. Explain to the Police who will no doubt arrive that you lost control due to some idiot washing his car in the freezing weather. Make sure your insurance on the old banger is correct and that you will pass an eyesight test. You will no doubt lose your name claims bonus but at our age that does not make a great difference. :D Or in the dead of night go onto to ice and lie down. Call 999 and an ambulance will arrive and wake everyone up. When police arrive blame it on neighbour and say you will be mounting a claim from him for damages. Or just have a quiet word with him