Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Buzy's day out. Alas no Zed Pics

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:23 am

Well I promised Rob i'd post up some pics of my walk today. So here goes.

Headed up on Dartmoor South of Oakhampton Camp. The Drive up is always fun. The twisting turning, rise and fall of the road out of Gunnislake towards Tavistock has always been a favourite of mine and this morning it was completely clear. It was mid morning but the roads still demanded my full attention. Squeezing the throttle pedal out of the hairpins, adjusting the arse of the zed, N54 never truly aloud to reach it's full screaming crescendo, tempered by a prime evil sense of survival. Hedgerows, so pleasant to observe on a summers day, appearing as rock faces at each braking point.

Yup it was a good drive Up. :driving: :driving:
Yes Tor WestMil Tot and Roew Tor from Bestton Tor.jpg
Yes Tor WestMil Tot and Roew Tor from Bestton Tor.jpg (40.78 KiB) Viewed 701 times
So after charging my camera battery last night I carried the great lump up to the first peak at Higher Tor Turned around to take in the view across towards Yes Tor, West Mill Tor and Rowe Tor. All at there sparkling best in the mid morning sunlight, the mist just clearing from the farthest snow spattered peak of Yes Tor. I pressed the shutter release....... to be informed the battery was dead. :headbang: Any way thank goodness for Camera phones. :thumbsup:
Hart of Dartmoor.jpg
Hart of Dartmoor.jpg (62.31 KiB) Viewed 701 times
On into the true heat of the moor and up on to Hanging stone Hill. The view from here sums up much of Dartmoor for me. Not a living sole in sight for miles. Ahead the source of the river Dart right, The river Taw left and my target for lunch, the source of the West Okement river at Cranmere pool.
Cranmere pool Letter box.jpg
Cranmere pool Letter box.jpg (82.37 KiB) Viewed 701 times
Cranmere Pool. It's not pretty, it's not not spectacular. It's surrounded for 1km ,in every direction by peat bog. Yet it's a place I love. Not a sound out there today, just peace and tranquillity. Oh and a bl##dy cold wind.

The letter box was built by a Victorian entrepreneur, who then took guided parties to the pool. It inspired the hundreds of little plastic boxes, that contain some quite amazing hand cut stamps, hidden under rocks all over the moor. Just Google letter boxing for more on that.
Sunsetting at Yes Tor.jpg
Sunsetting at Yes Tor.jpg (62.86 KiB) Viewed 701 times
From the pool I followed the east Okement River down the valley for a few miles, before cutting up on to Yes Tor for a final stop and to catch the last flame filled rays of the day. Missed my camera at this point, the phone couldn't do it justice. From there it was a quick jaunt over the other Tors shown in the fist Photo, back down to the Zed, now sitting in the ever darkening quite, as the stillness of night encroached across the sky. The new moon, as clear as if it were within reach, shadowing Jupiter across the sky.

All that remained was to drop the roof and wind my way back home. What a great day what a great drive. :D

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:40 am

Great pics buzy lar.
I'll be trekking accross Valkenburg with my good ladyfriend Laura tomorrow. Hoping for similar weather as you had at dartmoor today :thumbsup:
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:32 am

Sounds like you had an enjoyable outing Buzy, wish I lived closer to similar landscape-maybe one day :)
Ps, I'm going to punt out your opening speil as script for the new mission impossible film :thumbsup:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Vonlipvig

Post by Vonlipvig » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:52 am

You had a beautiful day for it and stunning pics, even on the phone! Very lucky to be so close
2009 Sapphire Black 23i

sharpyboy

Post by sharpyboy » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:17 pm

Looked like one of those crisp, sunny days it's great to be out here in. :thumbsup:
2006 Z4 2.5i gap-tech rch+ roof mod + zhp + roof motor now in boot + DLV Exhaust mod

paulgs1000
Lifer
Lifer

Post by paulgs1000 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:57 pm

Lovely write up busyg - enjoyed reading that :thumbsup:

Reminds me of parts of the Cheviots. You can get lost up there and not see a soul - magic. :thumbsup:
Now Porsche flat 6 experience, 986S & 981S.
2006 Z4MR Imola Red/Imola Red, 2008 3.0si Sport Stratus Grey/Piano black, 2006 2.0I Sport Silver Grey Facelift. MX5, TVR Chimaera, many motorbikes.

Grumpyowl
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Grumpyowl » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:23 pm

Enjoyed reading that and great pics :thumbsup:

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:46 pm

Chris_D wrote:Great pics buzy lar.
I'll be trekking accross Valkenburg with my good ladyfriend Laura tomorrow. Hoping for similar weather as you had at dartmoor today :thumbsup:
Look forward to some pics then lar. :)

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:51 pm

buzyg wrote:
Chris_D wrote:Great pics buzy lar.
Look forward to some pics then lar. :)
Over ere mate...
we ended up going east to the Veluwezoom. Bit closer rather than trekkin south to Valkenburg. Was crappy weather.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=93343
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:13 am

Smartbear wrote:Sounds like you had an enjoyable outing Buzy, wish I lived closer to similar landscape-maybe one day :)
Ps, I'm going to punt out your opening speil as script for the new mission impossible film :thumbsup:
Rob
I do wax on a bit sometimes. As long as you enjoy it I'll continue.... :thumbsup:

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:16 am

sharpyboy wrote:Looked like one of those crisp, sunny days it's great to be out here in. :thumbsup:
It was a lovely day to be out Jon. Can't beat a good drive with a good walk thrown in. Must arrange another run out with the Zeds and the camera's. I might even remember to charge the battery. :?

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:23 am

buzyg wrote:
Smartbear wrote:Sounds like you had an enjoyable outing Buzy, wish I lived closer to similar landscape-maybe one day :)
Rob
I do wax on a bit sometimes. As long as you enjoy it I'll continue.... :thumbsup:
You carry on waxing lyrical buzy, it adds colour in a grey world :thumbsup:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:50 pm

paulgs1000 wrote:Lovely write up busyg - enjoyed reading that :thumbsup:

Reminds me of parts of the Cheviots. You can get lost up there and not see a soul - magic. :thumbsup:
Thanks Paul. Not too many places in Britain I've not visited over the years, but the Cheviots is one, still on the bucket list. :)

paulgs1000
Lifer
Lifer

Post by paulgs1000 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:49 pm

buzyg wrote:
paulgs1000 wrote:Lovely write up busyg - enjoyed reading that :thumbsup:

Thanks Paul. Not too many places in Britain I've not visited over the years, but the Cheviots is one, still on the bucket list. :)
Well worth the effort and a great deal more to see whilst you're up here :thumbsup:
Now Porsche flat 6 experience, 986S & 981S.
2006 Z4MR Imola Red/Imola Red, 2008 3.0si Sport Stratus Grey/Piano black, 2006 2.0I Sport Silver Grey Facelift. MX5, TVR Chimaera, many motorbikes.