Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

The Grand Tour Ep1

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
pvr
Legend
Legend

The Grand Tour Ep1

Post by pvr » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:41 pm

Looking at the dji mavic pro drones now to see if I can achieve something like that 8)
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

paulgs1000
Lifer
Lifer

The Grand Tour Ep1

Post by paulgs1000 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:44 pm

Dragged a bit at times but I'd expect it to get slicker as the weeks progress. Fabulous photography and images (as usual) somewhat at odds with other parts of the show (use of the tent as the studio) but what a fabulous piece on the three hypercars.
Now Porsche flat 6 experience, 986S & 981S.
2006 Z4MR Imola Red/Imola Red, 2008 3.0si Sport Stratus Grey/Piano black, 2006 2.0I Sport Silver Grey Facelift. MX5, TVR Chimaera, many motorbikes.

original guvnor
Lifer
Lifer

The Grand Tour Ep1

Post by original guvnor » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:35 pm

pvr wrote:Looking at the dji mavic pro drones now to see if I can achieve something like that 8)
Have a look at the Phantom 4 as well pvr :thumbsup:

flimper
Lifer
Lifer

The Grand Tour Ep1

Post by flimper » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:54 pm

Just caught the opening to the first episode, and it looked very Americanised. Is the rest of the episode the same?
Piano black & black extended leather. Power mirrors, tinted glass, PDC, Prof hi-fi, CD, retro-fit cruise

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

The Grand Tour Ep1

Post by Ducklakeview » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:37 am

flimper wrote:Just caught the opening to the first episode, and it looked very Americanised. Is the rest of the episode the same?
I didn't think so. Obviously they hado to big it up at the start, but a fair bit of filming was done in the UK, and their new test track is also in the UK.

Mike

no fit state

The Grand Tour Ep1

Post by no fit state » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:36 am

Really enjoyed it, had me laughing out loud like the old Top Gear used to. Glad to see the star in the car bit has been ditched, as I'd always fast forward through that.
Z4MC Imola red

Hilly30si

The Grand Tour Ep1

Post by Hilly30si » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:37 am

Loving it :thumbsup:
My Cars

2021 X3 M Sport loaded with Tec
1974 Triumph TR6 in Mimosa Yellow
Gone but not forgotten
2008 Z4 3.0 SI Roadster

Wackydo

The Grand Tour Ep1

Post by Wackydo » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:23 am

So the Grand Tour episode 1 wasn't too bad, but both Chris Harris @harrismonkey https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3YPTkBRaOk and @Salomondrin https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBpzIDioYjE both did it first and better.

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

The Grand Tour Ep1

Post by Nictrix » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:33 pm

freemadw wrote: I didn't see it myself but apparently Clarkson was interviewed recently and one of the questions he was asked was about why the revamped Top Gear hadn't been as well received as it might have been. His reply was something like 'Watch the end credits, there are cameramen and producers and directors, but no writers, these things don't happen by themselves'.
Cheers, Dave
I havnt yet watched it, only seen the trailers for it but what you say about writers makes sense with a few lines in the trailer.
Clarkson says something about a scene from a Tom Cruise film and Hammond says "cocktail"
Hammonds part is obviously the idiot and someone must write his lines for him.
So it seems its not really 3 old friends hanging around together playing with cars but really a soap opera or a scripted reality tv show.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

The Grand Tour Ep1

Post by Marlon » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:45 pm

Nictrix wrote:
freemadw wrote: I didn't see it myself but apparently Clarkson was interviewed recently and one of the questions he was asked was about why the revamped Top Gear hadn't been as well received as it might have been. His reply was something like 'Watch the end credits, there are cameramen and producers and directors, but no writers, these things don't happen by themselves'.
Cheers, Dave
I havnt yet watched it, only seen the trailers for it but what you say about writers makes sense with a few lines in the trailer.
Clarkson says something about a scene from a Tom Cruise film and Hammond says "cocktail"
So it seems its not really 3 old friends hanging around together playing with cars but really a soap opera or a scripted reality tv show.
Disagree. The reason the dynamic between them works for me is because I believe the show revolves around their individual core personalities (albeit exaggerated for TV). Its obviously scripted but the writing is sympathetic to each presenters unique character and I'd be very surprised if they didn't have lots of input into the writing behind the banter.
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

The Grand Tour Ep1

Post by Nictrix » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:36 pm

Marlon wrote:
Nictrix wrote:
Cheers, Dave
Disagree. The reason the dynamic between them works for me is because I believe the show revolves around their individual core personalities (albeit exaggerated for TV). Its obviously scripted but the writing is sympathetic to each presenters unique character and I'd be very surprised if they didn't have lots of input into the writing behind the banter.
Still though if its written beforehand its not natural.
Do you like Towie and Geordie Shore etc and believe what happens on them? :P

freemadw

The Grand Tour Ep1

Post by freemadw » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:40 pm

Nictrix wrote: I havnt yet watched it, only seen the trailers for it but what you say about writers makes sense with a few lines in the trailer.
It's an entertainment show, they are professional performers, but I do think they do have chemistry and genuinely like each other. They must spend an awful lot of time together. They do have their on-screen personas which are exaggerations and the show is written with those traits in mind. I know money talks but had they just been 3 (or 4) disparate people who didn't get on I don't think they wouldn't have gone to Amazon as a package.
Cheers, Dave
If God is watching us, the least we can do is be entertaining...

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

The Grand Tour Ep1

Post by Marlon » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:55 pm

Nictrix wrote:
Marlon wrote:
Nictrix wrote: I havnt yet watched it, only seen the trailers for it but what you say about writers makes sense with a few lines in the trailer.
Whats Towie and Geordies Shore :?
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

The Grand Tour Ep1

Post by Nictrix » Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:48 pm

Marlon wrote:
Nictrix wrote:
Marlon wrote:
Whats Towie and Geordies Shore :?
:lol: :lol:
Something I have never watched but heard a lot about
Supposed to be reality tv but is completely scripted

samuir1974

The Grand Tour Ep1

Post by samuir1974 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:01 pm

I really enjoyed it, and agree they play on and script around the core personalities.
But it works and its good to see them back on the screen.... :thumbsup:
Current - 2007 BMW Z4 3.0 Si Auto

Gone - 2017 Audi RS7 Performance
Gone - 2006 BMW Z4 2.5Si Sport
Gone - 2018 VW Golf .:R
Gone - 2010 BMW Z4 35iS
Gone - 2009 VW Passat .:R36