Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

The Grand Tour Ep1

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
craig3.2
Lifer
Lifer

The Grand Tour Ep1

Post by craig3.2 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:26 pm

original guvnor wrote:Just watched it now. It wouldn't let me view on my iPad though?

I enjoyed it a lot. Loved the humour/chemistry between the three. My only slight gripe was that the format was pretty much identical to their BBC show. I'd have liked to see a few more new ideas format-wise now the shackles are off.
Yeah,it would be nice to see them add some new elements to it,Steve,but good still the same :D
Interlagos Blue M RDSTR,2008. Logic7 dsp Hifi;satnav,stubby,htd seats,etc,etc.
Black 2005 3.0i NOW SOLD(and missed)

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

The Grand Tour Ep1

Post by Nictrix » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:15 pm

I can now comment on this a bit better now that I have watched it.
Really good program. Only bad bit was the bit around the table, it just seemed to drag on and it was a bit cringy to watch.
Didnt see the point in the dead celebrity bit either.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Sky-drive

The Grand Tour Ep1

Post by Sky-drive » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:16 pm

Thought the beginning started well and then it all went Mad Max and from that moment on I thought the whole thing went downhill very rapidly.

Clearly its a production made for the USA and far too much sucking up of the North American hillbilly audience.

As for the track test ... c'mon really? A lap around the back of former RAF Wroughton hardly makes for entertaining viewing.

Lets be honest ... Top Gear is not really about cars ... its about three men, two of whom are dealing with the onset of middle age and one who is approaching it.
Xenons | LED S/lights | CF Trim | Royale SW | ZHP | CDV | AUX | DISA | Vanos Refurb | Cruise | MV2s | Roof motor > boot | K&N | Sound Gen | Interior LEDs | E/H seats | Remapped

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

The Grand Tour Ep1

Post by Nanu » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:10 pm

Just watched it today via the Kodi App on the firestick (No subscription) and very much enjoyed it. The opening was a wonderful dig at the expense of the BBC even down to the song choice , perfect. :thumbsup:

Thought they might have gone for a more well know version of Stig but apparently Amazon insisted on a nascar driver nobody outside the USA has ever heard of and all he could do was be abusive. That needs fixing pronto:thumbsdown: Our Jenson would have made a good Stig??
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

The Grand Tour Ep1

Post by Ducklakeview » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:20 pm

Nanu wrote: Amazon insisted on a nascar driver nobody outside the USA has ever heard of and all he could do was be abusive. That needs fixing pronto:thumbsdown: Our Jenson would have made a good Stig??
Having just watched Ep2, this guy needs to go, he's boring, loud mouthed and adds nothing, I also think he try's to look as if he isn't trying when driving.. Typical Yank if you ask me ;)

Mike

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

The Grand Tour Ep1

Post by Marlon » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:46 pm

Just watched episode 2. Was looking forward to it, but found it disappointing :( What was all that SAS malarkey - although it was mildly amusing at times it went on way too long, I got bored.
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

MattHall91

The Grand Tour Ep1

Post by MattHall91 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:23 pm

This is how I see it so far:

S1E1 opening scene - Fantastic!
Rest of S1E1 - Great
S1E2 - Boring and unamusing.
Now: Diseasal company cars (for now)
Gone: Z4 Coupe 3.0si - Montego Blue

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

The Grand Tour Ep1

Post by Chris_D » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:05 pm

Enjoyed seeing the Aston Vulcan in ep 2. Rest was a bit sh!te.
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

freemadw

The Grand Tour Ep1

Post by freemadw » Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:16 am

Don't think Episode 2 worked very well. The SAS thing wasn't about cars and it wasn't very funny. I did think that James May spinning was quite amusing though. Apart from the guy with the replica Porsche there was hardly anything South Africa related, they could have been anywhere with the big tent.
6 out of 10 from me.
Cheers, Dave
If God is watching us, the least we can do is be entertaining...

Yorkie Z

The Grand Tour Ep1

Post by Yorkie Z » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:46 am

Marlon wrote:Just watched episode 2. Was looking forward to it, but found it disappointing :( What was all that SAS malarkey - although it was mildly amusing at times it went on way too long, I got bored.
+1

Think it's going to take a series to find there feet and work out what the audience wants.
A Dirty M///

philip27

The Grand Tour Ep1

Post by philip27 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:47 am

Enjoyed the first episode but second one was hit and miss. The Vulcan film was fun but I preferred the Chris Harris one on it from the last series of Top Gear. The misson part would have been entertaining had it been half the length.

The american needs to go that part is just not funny and doesn't really show how special the cars are that he is driving.

Still worth watching though I think it has it's moments.
Went to the dark side Porsche Cayman 987s
Crimson Red E89 23i - :(
Maldives Blue E85 2.5i - Sold :(

sammyz

The Grand Tour Ep1

Post by sammyz » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:25 pm

Episode 2 was disappointing, the American is rubbish and adds little to the programme he needs to go. I'd of thought there would have been more content from the country hosting the show. But it seems the 'live' bits are just tying together various road trips and car reviews done elsewhere. We also loose the topicality of the news as its been recorded months before we see it.
Yas Marina Blue 35i.

craig3.2
Lifer
Lifer

The Grand Tour Ep1

Post by craig3.2 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:58 pm

Ducklakeview wrote:
Nanu wrote: Amazon insisted on a nascar driver nobody outside the USA has ever heard of and all he could do was be abusive. That needs fixing pronto:thumbsdown: Our Jenson would have made a good Stig??
Having just watched Ep2, this guy needs to go, he's boring, loud mouthed and adds nothing, I also think he try's to look as if he isn't trying when driving.. Typical Yank if you ask me ;)

Mike

Totally agree,he is so annoying and adds nothing.
All he does is slag every car he drives.....which spoils the car he is driving. It would be so much better with someone British or European,who actually enjoys driving decent cars and not big American v8 barges,lol

Get rd asap,Amazon.

Other than that,ep2 was okay,but nowhere near as good as episode 1.
Interlagos Blue M RDSTR,2008. Logic7 dsp Hifi;satnav,stubby,htd seats,etc,etc.
Black 2005 3.0i NOW SOLD(and missed)

AlfaScozzesi

The Grand Tour Ep1

Post by AlfaScozzesi » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:35 am

Episode 2 very weak. I thought it was trying more to be a comedy show rather than a car show with funny bits. Balance was all wrong.

Will still watch ep3 but prefer top gear to what I watched last night.

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

The Grand Tour Ep1

Post by Ducklakeview » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:14 am

About to watch EP3, hoping it's better than EP2!

As an aside, apparently it cost Amazon a quarter of a billion dollars to "acquire" the show? But it looks like they are reaping the rewards already..

http://fortune.com/2016/11/22/amazon-gr ... ng-record/

Mike