Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Zedless for a while - it's back :-) . . . insurance update

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Highlander

Zedless for a while - it's back :-)

Post by Highlander » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:39 pm

Can't actually remember who I'm covered by but had a total loss on my 1st Elise and they reinsured me with the replacement Elise no problem,still had the full NCD.....don't recall the premium being excessive.I'm still with this company as I was told that to change companies and declare the total loss would result in an increase in premiums.Would I be right in saying that I only have to declare the accident to prospective insurers for 5 years...meaning that I could then shop around?

paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer

Post by paddy wright » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:45 pm

Glad to hear you're sorted Colin!
Z4 2.2 sterling grey,Msport seats,retrofit cupholders,cruise,footwell lights,sound gen and mfsw,18"ellipsoids,xenons+light washers,ZHPknob,folding mirrors,3"stubby,update wheel caps,gateway300 ipod, wind deflector to keep the wife happy!

Stuartt

Post by Stuartt » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:28 pm

Great to see it back with you Colin and looking as good as new :thumbsup:

Can I recommend you park it a couple of meters up the road in future as that spot seems a bit unlucky.

Stuart
2004 3.0i SE Roadster , GONE to a good home :thumbsup:
2010 e89 35i Sdrive M sport. GONE for salvage :cry: but has been reborn

2014 e89 35is M-Sport Design Pure Traction 😈😈😈

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:37 pm

Looks a superb job :thumbsup:

Tim.

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:21 pm

Wonderful afternoon’s driving, followed by an evening ‘top down’ drive to Lytham and back with a walk on the beach.

To answer a couple of questions: I do have the full protected NCD, which may help a little, but my understanding is that the premiums will still go up (I will let you know by how much :cry: )
As for parking: call me stupid, but I’m going to park in exactly the same place :o I believe the two incidents are random and not related to the road layout or the parking positions. However, I have fashioned a high-viz reflective strap that stretches across the windscreen and reflects back a bright yellow luminous light when caught in car headlights.
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Number5 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:40 pm

Well done Colin. Glad to see its all back in one piece and to your satisfaction :thumbsup:
Alpina Roadster #307
Porsche Boxster GTS
Previous Zs
Stratus E86
G29 30i
1x Imola Z4MR
Alpina #019
10x E85 Se/Si Roadsters
2x E89's
Roof Motor Relocations (Bristol)

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:17 am

Good to here your back together again. Bet it felt good to put a few miles under the wheels once more. I also applaud your attitude and ingenuity wrt to the parking. :thumbsup:

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:30 am

Great news Marlon!

I hope you had a great drive, and that the insurers don't get greedy at renewal! :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:45 pm

I think you are right Colin re parking the Zed, experience has shown me it doesn't matter how careful you are when choosing a parking spot sooner or later something will happen, had it with the Z3 when parked away from anything else and it was still driven into on a hospital car park, same with a Suzuki Swift I parked on a massive hotel car park in a far corner on its own and next morning it had a golf ball sized dent on the wing :( The M135i received rear bumper remodelling back in April when parked up, think I mentioned to you that I filed a non fault claim and my premium went up from 460 to 810 :o Insurance sucks when you have to claim, hopefully you will be OK.

Tim.

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:09 pm

Nice to see it back, must be a relief! Looks a great colour match, particularly as red is well known to be a pain to match.
NCB wise my understanding is that unfortunately your premium will in all likelihood rise somewhat. Although you will still have your maximum discount (NCB) available, lets call it 70% discount. That discount will be deducted from what ever they rate the full value of your policy at. If this year is was £1,000 you will have paid £300. Now with a claim that they have not been able to recharge to another insurer you may be say a £2,000 risk so after a 70% discount you would be paying £600 in this rough example. Hopefully the increase wont be that bad, however insurance premiums have gone up a fair chunk recently, not least because of an increase in IPT to 10% I think. As ever, claim or no claim, come renewal time its worth shopping around as insurers aren't exactly known for rewarding loyalty!
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

mattyp

Post by mattyp » Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:53 pm

Glad to hear you have your car back. Looks great and am delighted to see a great car returned back to pre accident condition. enjoy :driving:
E86 2007 Monaco Blue Metallic 3.0 Si SE with Beige Heated Leather

Lynchy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Lynchy » Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:58 pm

Glad you got your P&J back Marlon, now you can get on with enjoying that lovely car of yours :thumbsup:

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:38 pm

Thanks everyone :)

Here is my Hi-Viz strap. This is taken with a flash - it will show up brighter in headlights:

911 997 Carrera S

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:59 pm

Anythings an improvement to make it more visible Marlon :thumbsup: got one for the back too?

I've taken to parking mine down the road in a section of parking where there are never any cars parked as I realise that I have idiots for neighbours. Well, idiots with kids to be precise. On more than one occasion i've seen my neighbours kiddybrat swing open the door of their car after parking next to mine without a care in the world! If it had been parked closer to mine it would have made a significant ding. Both occasions I consider to be purely lucky on my part that no damage was done and the parents don't really give a sh!t sadly.
Hence, it's only a matter of time that a door ding will occur. This way it reduces the chances of that and I can still check on it from time to time from the top floor balcony.
Maybe a suggestion for yourself if there's a relatively quiet part of the road? I rented out a space on my front drive to a neighbour at my UK place as he had concerns about leaving his new merc parked out on the road. I gladly obliged him for a negligible fee. Maybe also an idea to knock on some doors and politely enquire?
Just a thought....
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:20 pm

Chris_D wrote:Anythings an improvement to make it more visible Marlon :thumbsup: got one for the back too?

I've taken to parking mine down the road in a section of parking where there are never any cars parked as I realise that I have idiots for neighbours. Well, idiots with kids to be precise. On more than one occasion i've seen my neighbours kiddybrat swing open the door of their car after parking next to mine without a care in the world! If it had been parked closer to mine it would have made a significant ding. Both occasions I consider to be purely lucky on my part that no damage was done and the parents don't really give a sh!t sadly.
Hence, it's only a matter of time that a door ding will occur. This way it reduces the chances of that and I can still check on it from time to time from the top floor balcony.
Maybe a suggestion for yourself if there's a relatively quiet part of the road? I rented out a space on my front drive to a neighbour at my UK place as he had concerns about leaving his new merc parked out on the road. I gladly obliged him for a negligible fee. Maybe also an idea to knock on some doors and politely enquire?
Just a thought....
I've looked into lockup garages in the past Chris, and also considered 'renting' off road parking at a neighbours, but apart from the insurance complications of parking at someone else's address I couldn't find any obvious spaces close by. I found one lockup garage but it was too far away and to be honest I didn't like the idea of my car locked up in a garage half a mile away - hardly convenient. I like the fact I can look out of the window now and see it right outside. Lets just hope there are no more 'freak' accidents.
911 997 Carrera S