Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

A good down jacket?

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
maxman

A good down jacket?

Post by maxman » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:35 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:26 pm
obewan wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:16 pm I bought a TOG24 one last year - very light and still warm with just a tee-shirt on
Side story was that while looking at them my wife said:
'this one must be really warm'
'How come' I asked
'cos it's twice the tog rating of our duvet'

At which stage I pointed out all the signs in the shop
Priceless :rofl:
:rofl: :thumbsup:

Just wondering - is your wife blonde by any chance?
:rofl: :rofl:

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

A good down jacket?

Post by TitanTim » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:14 pm

Thanks for the replies guys :thumbsup:

Been having a look at some of the suggestions online and found this North Face Jacket that looks to tick all the boxes :)
so will try one out and hope it has normal pockets :roll:

https://www.surfmountain.com/en/gb/The- ... lYQAvD_BwE

Tim.

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

A good down jacket?

Post by mmm-five » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:40 pm

mcbeee wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:42 pm :D You must be an Inuit ... because I worked in -32C far too many times , and no-one is comfortable at that temp. I think somebody was slipping you wrong info , maybe "wind chill" and you weren't in the wind ? Fess up, you just went from one shop to the next, that's what I do in Banff, then stop at the sweetshop and drool. :lol:
Sorry, I was wrong. It was -31c - although it rose to a balmy -10c at its warmest.

Only stopped at one coffee shop, and it was an independent with a Kent girl working there - so I went in every day :oops:

Don't find I get too cold when I'm moving, and there's no wind. It was sunny, so obviously felt much warmer than the mercury showed.

Monday had a high of -19c, low of -25c; Tuesday had a high of -17c low of -30c; Wednesday had the biggest swing of -10c to -31c.
It warmed up considerably after that, and was only -5c for our 4 our canyon/glacier walk.

But that's why I took some really warm stuff with me - and ended up not using anything.

Skiing was just in a cotton shirt underneath my normal ski wear (Tog24 ski jacket trousers, plus boots, gloves, socks, helmet).

I like going to the US or Canada, as the runs are not what you'd call 'busy'...

...so you can get plenty of skiing in...
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

Rob_benton

A good down jacket?

Post by Rob_benton » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:51 pm

I’ve got a couple of down jackets and waterproof jacket from mountain warehouse. I’ve been really impressed with the quality for the price. There’s discount codes normally available too.
2005 Z4 3.0 Black, Zhp gear knob.

Wondermike

A good down jacket?

Post by Wondermike » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:20 pm

mmm-five wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:40 pm ...so you can get plenty of skiing in...
Was that top speed on the slopes or the bus? Pretty impressive if it was on skis :bow:

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

A good down jacket?

Post by mmm-five » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:43 pm

Wondermike wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:20 pm
mmm-five wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:40 pm ...so you can get plenty of skiing in...
Was that top speed on the slopes or the bus? Pretty impressive if it was on skis :bow:
The bus was much slower :headbang:

It was on an empty Men's World Cup Downhill run at Lake Louise that had just opened after a morning training session. About 1km long with a couple of crests/humps, but mainly just high speed carving. Obviously that was peak speed and not average :|
Trigger’s Z4MC

mcbeee
Lifer
Lifer

A good down jacket?

Post by mcbeee » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:08 am

mmm-five wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:43 pm
headbang:It was on an empty Men's World Cup Downhill run at Lake Louise that had just opened after a morning training session. About 1km long with a couple of crests/humps, but mainly just high speed carving. Obviously that was peak speed and not average :|
LOL. My first run ever was on the Ladies Downhill at Lk Louise, on borrowed wooden skis......following my expert skier friends. It did not end well :roll: “what are these weird little hills , bang crash, splat”. I stuck a ski into a mogul, snapped it off and then learned how to ski on one and a half skis. Then rented real skis for the rest of the day. After that I x countried and telemarked there for years. A great place.

Hope you enjoyed your trip.

Cheers, Mike
Sold the Z4 M Roadster and a 911 Carrera S now I have a 2021 Z4 3.0i
8) 8) 8)

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

A good down jacket?

Post by mmm-five » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:47 am

mcbeee wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:08 am LOL. My first run ever was on the Ladies Downhill at Lk Louise, on borrowed wooden skis......following my expert skier friends. It did not end well :roll: “what are these weird little hills , bang crash, splat”. I stuck a ski into a mogul, snapped it off and then learned how to ski on one and a half skis. Then rented real skis for the rest of the day. After that I x countried and telemarked there for years. A great place.

Hope you enjoyed your trip.

Cheers, Mike
More or less how I taught myself to ski...by watching & following other skiers.

Still can’t stand moguls, but am comfortable of piste or through trees. Only once been in a situation where I thought I’d be stuck, but found a way down the frozen waterfall in the end.

I’m planning on going’s back in Feb :thumbsup:
Last edited by mmm-five on Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trigger’s Z4MC

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

A good down jacket?

Post by MrPT » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:41 am

They are pricey, but I’d go Rab too.

Also consider synthetic (e.g. hi loft, primaloft etc) if you’re on a budget and dont want to take a separate waterproof shell to get through the odd drizzle.
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

A good down jacket?

Post by TitanTim » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:34 pm

MrPT wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:41 am They are pricey, but I’d go Rab too.

Also consider synthetic (e.g. hi loft, primaloft etc) if you’re on a budget and dont want to take a separate waterproof shell to get through the odd drizzle.
Many thanks, I've ordered this one, fingers crossed it will do the job :)

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/rab-altus-jacket-p393359

Tim.

extrablatt

A good down jacket?

Post by extrablatt » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:50 pm

You can get some good deals with Helly Hansen as well. Their website usually has decent deals and I find slightly cheaper than North Face.
2013 E89 35iS Mineral White
19" 326M | heated seats & wheel | pro nav & hifi | stubby

Gone: 2010 E89 23i Space Grey