Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Frustrating Outside Tap Connector

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:58 pm

Hi all,

I had a new outside tap fitted the other week and all good but I didn't expect to have issues achieving a leak free hose to tap connection. Last two weekends I've been trying different Hozelock connectors and they all leak where the hose fits into the connector, it's bloody frustrating. I've cut a fresh piece off the hose and tightened the connector as hard as I can but soon as I turn the tap on it leaks.

If I swap hose ends and use a spray gun the connector doesn't leak. I can manage without any connector but would like to use one if possible.

Can anyone recommend a decent leak free connector please or alternative solution. I wasn't expecting any issues using Hozelock stuff.

Thanks,

Tim.

Stuartt

Post by Stuartt » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:11 pm

The blue bit that fixes to the tap, is that also Hoselock or is it a generic brand ?

In my experience that would be your leak point as the push connecter isn't a tight enough fit. I doubt it is where the hose pipe fits the hoselock end.

Stuart
2004 3.0i SE Roadster , GONE to a good home :thumbsup:
2010 e89 35i Sdrive M sport. GONE for salvage :cry: but has been reborn

2014 e89 35is M-Sport Design Pure Traction 😈😈😈

Yorkie Z

Post by Yorkie Z » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:26 pm

Wrap the end of the hose in thread tape then slide it in and tighten the looking nut. I had the same problem on a hozelock fitting. Pretty rubbish considering the extra you pay for hoselock. However I do love the auto retract feature on the 30m hose :D
A Dirty M///

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:39 pm

Agree with Stuart, that blue tap connector looks a bit iffy, Hozelock are normally pretty decent fittings
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:50 pm

Thanks for the replies, the blue tap fitting is a Hozelock, if you look at the second pic it's leaking where the hose fits into the connector itself around the locking collar which is as tight as it can go. It's like it's not gripping the hose tight enough. I'll try some tape and see if it helps. I thought with using all Hozelock fitting there wouldn't be any leaks. I was wandering if Draper fittings are any better.

Tim.

warmasice

Post by warmasice » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:52 pm

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:59 pm

warmasice wrote: ↑Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:52 pm I stick with the brass fittings personally and haven't had any issues. This kind of stuff..

http://www.diy.com/departments/verve-2- ... 863_BQ.prd
http://www.diy.com/departments/verve-br ... 865_BQ.prd
http://www.diy.com/departments/verve-br ... 866_BQ.prd
Brill thanks for the links might give these a go and see if it improves things :) , I was looking at the Draper brass equivalents but they're quite expensive.

Tim.

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:03 pm

If you are using brass fittings make sure you give them some maintenance.
I used to have brass fittings and they seized up and were quite difficult to get back off.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:12 pm

Nictrix wrote: ↑Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:03 pm If you are using brass fittings make sure you give them some maintenance.
I used to have brass fittings and they seized up and were quite difficult to get back off.
Good advice :thumbsup:

Tim.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:31 pm

We have very similar outside taps to that one. I fitted a piece of hose straight over them, like pic 3, then put a jubliee clip around that. That piece of hose then feeds into a hose reel. From there the plastic, hose lock type fixings can be attached. :D

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:17 pm

buzyg wrote: ↑Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:31 pm We have very similar outside taps to that one. I fitted a piece of hose straight over them, like pic 3, then put a jubliee clip around that. That piece of hose then feeds into a hose reel. From there the plastic, hose lock type fixings can be attached. :D
Cheers for that, I'll nip to B&Q in a few days and check out some brass fittings, I'm starting to think now as suggested it might be the piece that fits onto the tap rather than the hose connector itself :roll:

Tim.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:44 pm

TitanTim wrote: ↑Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:17 pm
buzyg wrote: ↑Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:31 pm We have very similar outside taps to that one. I fitted a piece of hose straight over them, like pic 3, then put a jubliee clip around that. That piece of hose then feeds into a hose reel. From there the plastic, hose lock type fixings can be attached. :D
Cheers for that, I'll nip to B&Q in a few days and check out some brass fittings, I'm starting to think now as suggested it might be the piece that fits onto the tap rather than the hose connector itself :roll:

Tim.
If it's that little brass piece, it should have a washer seal inside it, to stop it leaking, check that is present. If it still leaks good old PTFE tape should sort it.

Adam D

Post by Adam D » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:03 am

I have the same metal hose pipe connector but they also sell a metal β€˜pro’ version of the tap end fitting. No leaks and seems robust (4 years old).
Silver Grey 2007 Z4MR which needs to be driven more :evil: :P :cool: :D :thumbsup:

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:45 am

Thanks Adam and everyone for chipping in :thumbsup:
I've always managed in the past connecting the hose to the kitchen mixer tap but since getting a Nilfilsk pressure washer the multitap connector won't cope with it so an outside tap was called for.

Tim.

raymond.harper

Post by raymond.harper » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:51 am

Bit of PTFE tape wound round may fix it.