Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Hurricane Irma

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Hurricane Irma

Post by TitanTim » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:09 pm

Been chatting to a friend earlier who lives in Palm Beach and I asked if she was evacuating and she replied nope but have stocked up on essentials,

:lol:

I guess thats one way of dealing with it but I'm actually quite worried as I think some don't appreciate what could happen if it hits Florida. I've said the Florida State Governor has advised to evacuate but many are staying put. It's due to hit Sunday with prediction it could devastate Florida/Miami and make it inhabitable.

Unsure what I would do if it was me, would be hard to leave your home but then whats important.

I just hope the Hurricane veers off course.

Tim.

EssexZed

Hurricane Irma

Post by EssexZed » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:29 pm

TitanTim wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:09 pm Been chatting to a friend earlier who lives in Palm Beach and I asked if she was evacuating and she replied nope but have stocked up on essentials,

:lol:

I guess thats one way of dealing with it but I'm actually quite worried as I think some don't appreciate what could happen if it hits Florida. I've said the Florida State Governor has advised to evacuate but many are staying put. It's due to hit Sunday with prediction it could devastate Florida/Miami and make it inhabitable.

Unsure what I would do if it was me, would be hard to leave your home but then whats important.

I just hope the Hurricane veers off course.

Tim.
This reminds me of a news item I watched a few years ago when parts of Australia were being affected by severe flooding. The news reporter was in a small boat touring around the streets of an apparently deserted town when he heard a noise and on investigation he found a guy on a first floor veranda. Next to him was a petrol generator (the source of the noise) and this was powering a large fridge. The fridge was well stocked with beer. He asked the guy why he hadn't evacuated with the rest of the townsfolk and he replied that he had extensive supplies of petrol and beer so he really hadn't felt the need! I love the aussies! :D

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Hurricane Irma

Post by TitanTim » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:32 pm

:lol: Great story :)

Tim.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Hurricane Irma

Post by buzyg » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:46 pm

Some proper weather around this weekend. For sure it's going to do a great deal of damage. To Florida, once it's finished with Cuba. Current track prediction shows it weakening & heading up the west Florida coast. Good luck to all those sticking it out.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weat ... mName=IRMA

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Hurricane Irma

Post by Ewazix » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:08 pm

I spent 24 hrs locked down in the only cat 5 rated hotel on the strip when Hurricane Wilma made landfall at full Cat 5 (previous record storm) on the Yucatan coast in 2005. Every other hotel had been evacuated, we were given a doggy bag and torch and told it was illegal to drink from the mini-bar (in case of evacuation.. yea right!) 185 mph winds tore everything to shreds and knocked down the next hotel on the strip, 30 foot cast iron lamp posts literally flying, cars tossed around, terrifying TBH. The morning after was literally like emerging after 'the bomb', we were lucky and had a life and home to go back to a week later but I can't imagine what some people are going to left with, if they survive :(
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Hurricane Irma

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:09 pm

OP, I'm concerned for your friends - there are 9 empty spaces in their bottle rack!

I hope they don't run out of supplies!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Hurricane Irma

Post by PerryGunn » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:23 pm

EssexZed wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:29 pm This reminds me of a news item I watched a few years ago when parts of Australia were being affected by severe flooding. The news reporter was in a small boat touring around the streets of an apparently deserted town when he heard a noise and on investigation he found a guy on a first floor veranda. Next to him was a petrol generator (the source of the noise) and this was powering a large fridge. The fridge was well stocked with beer. He asked the guy why he hadn't evacuated with the rest of the townsfolk and he replied that he had extensive supplies of petrol and beer so he really hadn't felt the need! I love the aussies! :D
Yep, to paraphrase Freewheelin' Franklin Freek*, booze will get you through times of no food better than food will get you through times of no booze :wink:

*I doubt if anyone born later than the mid-sixties will get the reference, but google is your friend
Alpina Roadster S #320
* Quaife ATB LSD * StrongStrut Braces * Turner RTAB Limiters * Gap-Tech RCH+ *
* Intravee & KCA-420i * Mini 0806 * Cheetah C550 * Stubby *

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Hurricane Irma

Post by TitanTim » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:25 pm

I think they have already started the party :)

I just can't imagine what 180 to 200 mph winds are like, 70 or 80 is bad enough here so I can imagine it's terrifying what people have been going through.

Tim.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Hurricane Irma

Post by buzyg » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:41 pm

TitanTim wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:25 pm I think they have already started the party :)

I just can't imagine what 180 to 200 mph winds are like, 70 or 80 is bad enough here so I can imagine it's terrifying what people have been going through.

Tim.
Grab the keys to an 458 spider, take it out the Germany, with a friend. Roof down, floor it. Then ask your friend to unbuckle and stand on the seat.

If you ever see them alive again, they can tell you. :wink:

Pretty violent and unforgiving, would be my best guess. :o

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Hurricane Irma

Post by TitanTim » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:15 am

Russ59

Hurricane Irma

Post by Russ59 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:48 am

We normally holiday in the Caribbean this time of year and have done so for many years and never experienced a hurricane yet, but this year we went in May and bloody well glad we did.
You have to feel for the ones who have lost everything not that some of them had much in the first place.
2005, 3.0l Toledo Blue, sports seats, sports suspension, ZHP, MFSW,4 clear spot rear lights, clear side repeaters and third brake light , 19" AXE EX14 wheels, DIY carbon badges, interior parts gloss black wrapped, rear spoiler