Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Challenge - BBS 108 split rim bolt thread pitch.

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
JonoBono

Post by JonoBono » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:40 pm

I recently had to have the titanium M7 bolt (and subsequent snapped cobalt drill bit - don't ask) removed by spark erosion from my BBS 108 split rim. The guy has been brilliant in getting the bolt out but now needs to retap the tread to remove any remnants of the titanium bolt.
What I need your help with is this - apparently it's not a standard size. BMW have been unable to tell me the thread pitch to retap the thread. I know it's m7, but that's not enough for them to go off. They need the pitch (gauge? / mm?)
Can anyone tell me or have any ideas who might?
Thanks.

griffnut

Post by griffnut » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:04 pm

Your best bet is too take another one out and have the pitch measured with a Moore & Wright - Metric thread Pitch Gauge.

Having had a quick look at various websites, it would appear that the Titanium bolts are M7 x 1.0mm x length.

Regards,

Bill

JonoBono

Post by JonoBono » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:03 pm

Thanks Bill. You have found more than me. Suprised BMW didn't know.

griffnut

Post by griffnut » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:42 pm

That is of no suprise to me at all - you could say on a need to know basis. The bolts are purely a part number to the factory, which is part of a tool format to be used by both customer and retailer alike !