Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New Reps incoming - how should I 'protect' them?

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:30 am

Having given up on ever acquiring a set of 224's despite member Jaw's 'above & beyond' efforts to help me, I have ordered a set of aftermarket wheels.
Please don't anyone start with "I'd never buy reps, only OEM for me.... blah, blah, blah" :lol: - That's great and fine where you are, but here OEM BMW wheels are: a): Very hard to find anything decent, because b): they are !$#%^$ expensive! And I'm not just saying I don't want to pay more for better quality - I wouldn't mind, but the markups are just crazy on some things.
There, that's off my chest now.
Anyway, having just read the latest thread about damage to rep alloys, I'm keen to know what you all do to protect your wheels as much as possible from damage. Wash (without acid based cleaners) then wax with normal car wax? Nothing else?
One good thing is that we don't salt the roads here (grit occasionally on the hills/mountains), so there shouldn't be any risk from that .
Thanks in advance, and sorry about the initial rant :oops:
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PerryGunn » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:14 am

Before they go on the car, I'd wipe them down with a degreaser, wash & dry thoroughly, then I'd add a coating of Gtechniq C5 - I like the GTechniq stuff but similar products are available
Alpina Roadster S #320
* Quaife ATB LSD * StrongStrut Braces * Turner RTAB Limiters * Gap-Tech RCH+ *
* Intravee & KCA-420i * Mini 0806 * Cheetah C550 * Stubby *

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:01 am

Lacquer over bare metal is always a delicate finish and prone to failure at dome point. Sticking with a painted wheel should ensure the finish lasts longer.

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:17 am

The wheels are painted so hopefully no problems there.
srhutch wrote:Lacquer over bare metal is always a delicate finish and prone to failure at dome point. Sticking with a painted wheel should ensure the finish lasts longer.

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:20 am

PerryGunn wrote:Before they go on the car, I'd wipe them down with a degreaser, wash & dry thoroughly, then I'd add a coating of Gtechniq C5 - I like the GTechniq stuff but similar products are available
Unfortunately they are being supplied, delivered, installed, balanced, etc by the mag shop - I won't get them until they're on the car, but I can follow your guide once they're home (just have to find something that is equivalent to gtechniq C5 - will have to have a look online and see if anything's available here)

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:18 am

The wheels arrived today but I've sent them back as one was damaged in production - don't know how it passed QC. Last set in the world it seems, so it's back to the drawing board :headbang:
TBH, the only ones I like (not that I've seen every single wheel out there, although it feels like it sometimes judging by how much time I've spent on this), are ones not available here.

G600

Post by G600 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:35 pm

That's disappointing. I can recommend the Poorboy's wheel sealant for when you do get a set though, it's supposed to be long lasting but I've only had it on a week, but in that time I've done 400 miles on filthy roads and all the dirt and brake dust came off with the jet wash, no need to touch them or use any wheel cleaner.
E85 3.0

Dav the wheel nut
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Dav the wheel nut » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:32 pm

I protect mine by keeping my missis out of the driving seat :wink:

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:55 am

Update - with the reps no good (and no chance of any more being available) I've picked up a set of 224's that need a bit of a refurb (looks like no curbing or damage so hopefully nothing too expensive). I'll take the advice here re taking care of them, although it looks like gtechniq C5 is extremely expensive here :(