Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Pilot Super Sports

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
buzyg
Legend
Legend

Pilot Super Sports

Post by buzyg » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:52 pm

kis wrote:
buzyg wrote:
flimper wrote:Be careful in cold weather, they don't like it!
Your right on that, but they are still progressive just low on grip in the cold. Had lots of fun this morning in the frost up on Dartmoor. :driving: Plus once warmed through on a dry road the grip is really rather good and still progressive, if you do manage to brake traction. :thumbsup:
Do you mean general cold weather (i.e. winter) regardless of whether the tyre itself has warmed up? Or just on initial start up in cold weather, after-which they warm up and perform better? Much like brake pads...

Cheers!
I don't drive the Zed regularly on frosty or wet roads. So on the occasions I do I'm probably a little over cautious, hence it's takes ages for the tyres to warm through. The grip improves greatly once the tyre is warm though. The difference between tyre warm and tyre not warm enough is more marked, on the PSS, than any other tyre I have experienced on the road. I would also agree that it's better on a wet road than on a cold salt slimed, but other wise dry road, but I think that may apply to most year round performance tyres.

AlfaScozzesi

Pilot Super Sports

Post by AlfaScozzesi » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:50 pm

kis wrote:
Buckz wrote:See I needed an all around performance as my car gets driven all year round so I went with Goodyear Eagle F1 AS3's this time.

current set is falken fk453's which I don't find bad but they're not great at anything really. Just DECENT all around.
I'm the same TBH.

Ran PS2 / PS3 set up on the e46. No issues with that and sometimes I pushed it quite hard. That being said the Zed feels different and so I think topped with the extra power it's 'easier' to loose the back end. For some reason the winters seem to be getting colder as well. So I want to be sure I'm going to keep traction, if I'm taking a corner whilst pushing it in the cold (not that I do that on a regular basis, but more if that situation were to arise! :wink: ).

All that being said I've got a set of 107's I could potentially dedicate to winter tyres and get PSS on the 108's... decisions, decisions!

I am on my Winter Hancooks at the moment but only for when it snows as my Zed is driven all year round. Generally the MPSS will outperform the Winters even in cold conditions after a little run in.

You just have too modulate your driving to the conditions. No tyre will save you on ice, slime, diesel and you won't be as quick as on a dry Summers day.

DinosaurEyes

Pilot Super Sports

Post by DinosaurEyes » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:05 am

Had the PSSs installed on Saturday but not had a chance to give them a good go though. That said they are clearly better than the old tyres, gripping much more in the rain we've had up here.

I'm getting my KW Variant 3 coilovers put on and a full alignment and balancing tomorrow so really excited to see the difference then!