Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Splitting 108's ?

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
Bumpy

Splitting 108's ?

Post by Bumpy » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:29 am

I just picked up a set of 108s and am considering removing the stars from the rims so I can do a proper refurb.
I understand lots here have done this and I was unlucky with my search to discover the threads that warned of the perils that could present themselves.
From memory I believe it was recommended that the fasteners be soaked with penetrating oil for at least 24 hours.
I would also expect that a blast from a heat gun wouldn't hurt.
I have also had good luck 'unfreezing' bolts by turning them tighter (just a tad) before trying to extract.
I also have an electric impact driver as well as the old reliable hammer version.
Is there anyone out there that has done this that can offer advice or expectations.
I do recall someone had difficulty by snapping off the head of several fasteners and then was faced with extraction as well as locating replacement cap screws.
Tips of torque and any other horror stories would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Bumpy

Dave1971

Splitting 108's ?

Post by Dave1971 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:55 am

Mr Wilks recommended buying an extra bit that you use to undo the bolts, place that bit into the bolts and strike it with a hammer to help loosen then.

If you do snap any they can be bought new from BMW for about £3.50 plus vat. I have some spare ones in the garage though if you don't mind used ones.
Zed No 1 2004 e85 Z4 2.2 se
Zed No 2 2007 e85 Imola Red Z4MR
Zed No 3 2006 e85 Ruby Black 3.0si Roadster
Zed No 4 2009 e89 Deep see blue 35i sDrive
Zed No 5 2006 e85 Titan silver 3.0si Roadster
Zed No 6 2004 e85 Black Sapphire Alpina Roadster S Lux #073

Bumpy

Splitting 108's ?

Post by Bumpy » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:54 pm

I'm OK
I found the threads that I was looking for.
No need to reply unless you have some new info.
:tumbleweed:

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Splitting 108's ?

Post by Ducklakeview » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:06 pm

Bumpy wrote:I'm OK
I found the threads that I was looking for.
No need to reply unless you have some new info.
:tumbleweed:
And that told you all! :(

I'll not bother posting my experience then.

Mike

Buckz

Splitting 108's ?

Post by Buckz » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:11 pm

I'd say post it! :) other users might be searching for just that in the future and find you thread..

sharing is caring.

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Splitting 108's ?

Post by Ducklakeview » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:18 pm

Buckz wrote:I'd say post it! :) other users might be searching for just that in the future and find you thread..

sharing is caring.
It was a dig at the OP's attitude.. :driving:

I split my own set, before deciding that they would still be problematic after a refurb. This is because as soon as you bolt them back together, you WILL damage whatever finish is on them, and water WILL get in and cause corrosion.

I used a long 12pt spline bit, tapped into each bolt to remove dirt/debris, before undoing them BY HAND. Using an impact wrench is asking for trouble, as the alloy is much softer than the titanium bolts.

Mr Wilks would probably concur, that 108's are not worth the effort, unless you intend to keep them and even then, be prepared to do them again in a few years..

Mike

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Splitting 108's ?

Post by mr wilks » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:31 pm

The simple truth is there is little rhyme or reason that dictates whether you will struggle with any , many or none at all of the bolts .
Ive had all manner of sets & sometimes the tidiest can be the most difficult to part & shabby sets all 80 bolts fly out :?
Just set about them methodically & with some patience initially & forget any torque settings that may be available
They would have been set for new bolts into new threaded rims & after years of corrosion both will be aged so its better to get a "feel" for what is the "5hit or bust" threshold of force :oops:
I removed the bolts in a random star shaped pattern & found that if a bolt wa too tight to shift leave it , go back & try it again usually with success
Nothing quite so satisfying as getting them all apart , having them refurbed & bolting them back together
I would only go powdercoat from a personal perspective as paint / lacquer is never going to last long in UK weather
I also found that once all 20 bolts were tightened up to leave them 24hrs before a final nipping up
PM me if you struggle on any point Bumpy :thumbsup:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

Bumpy

Splitting 108's ?

Post by Bumpy » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:58 pm

mr wilks wrote: PM me if you struggle on any point Bumpy :thumbsup:
Total Respect Mr. Wilks
For some reason I seem to attract rims and bumpers.
I am currently running a Z4M Bumper with the stock Facelift kept in reserve.
Out of nowhere I discovered a brand new Duraflex bumper that was a Forfeiture to the Crown.
That means someone was caught trying to smuggle it into Canada from the USA and it was auctioned.
DSC01406.JPG
DSC01406.JPG (53.03 KiB) Viewed 1750 times
Some here might empathize how difficult it is to justify 3 bumpers.

Here are my stock, unloved rims, refurbed with mixed results, and lastly snow tyre rims.
DSC00521.JPG
DSC00521.JPG (80.5 KiB) Viewed 1750 times
DSC00498.JPG
DSC00498.JPG (66.23 KiB) Viewed 1750 times
DSC00497.JPG
DSC00497.JPG (61.38 KiB) Viewed 1750 times
If explaining the need for 3 bumpers doesn't help domestic bliss.
I have no hope with all these rims and tyres.
Last edited by Bumpy on Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bumpy

Splitting 108's ?

Post by Bumpy » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:05 pm

Continued cause for some reason I can only post 3 pics
BUT ... I figured I might just be able to swap my most recent bumper for a set of more desireable rims and take some of the heat off me. At least that's what I was counting on. Seemed like a good idea.

Here
is my tyre stack and my 108s followed by my unloved summer rims.
DSC01502.JPG
DSC01502.JPG (58.86 KiB) Viewed 1746 times
DSC01501.JPG
DSC01501.JPG (47.7 KiB) Viewed 1746 times
DSC01500.JPG
DSC01500.JPG (49.63 KiB) Viewed 1746 times
[attachment=3
Attachments
DSC00071.JPG
DSC00071.JPG (73.63 KiB) Viewed 1746 times
Last edited by Bumpy on Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bumpy

Splitting 108's ?

Post by Bumpy » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:30 pm

I expect most here are currently scratching their heads and pondering if I am suffering from Cabin Fever ...
or worse!
And I could be.
Here is what I thought when I first started.
Stock rims sucked.
So I used Tire Rack to buy the snow tyres / rims thinking I might drive the Zed all year round.
I rarely drive it in winter - Never in slush or salt !

Soon after reading many negative posts on how much Bridgestone Run Flats sucked,
I found myself perusing Tire Rack again.
At this point I should have waited til I was better educated in BMW and Zed Stuff but...
Well I ordered the summer rims with Michelin PSS.
I have to say that ordering from a picture which also happens to be the wider rear rim made the impression that the rims were more concave ...
Actually I don't mind the summer rims all that much.
To achieve some sort of domestic calm, I use the Michelin shod rims for local cruising, and the Bridgestone RFT for touring away from home...
And so that is my excuse and my tradition for using the Zed 9 months of the year.

The 108's are my last chapter:
Just in time cause I'm almost on the wearbars of the stock rear runflats.
As all here know, the front runflats still have lots of tread.
So I'm thinking I could swap over the front RFT's to the 108s and purchase new rear tyres for the back 108's
But how should I do that ? 2 255 rfts ..or 255 non rfts for the back ?
Maybe I should just swap over the Michelin PSS to the 108s ?
Or bite the bullet and buy a new set of non rfts for the 108.

Thank gawd I have some winter left to make up my mind.
But I am open to suggestions if there are any here who have lived through my dilemma. :)

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Splitting 108's ?

Post by mr wilks » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:19 pm

If the sizes fit then get the Michelin's onto the 108s & run them down before contemplating buying more rubber :oops: :thumbsup:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti

George7

Splitting 108's ?

Post by George7 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:55 pm

To add some more to the already experienced posts, the bolts are a very fine 7mm thread, should be stainless steel but could be high tensile steel. They may or not be held in with loctite thread adhesive depending on whether they've been split before or not. I found the best way to remove them was to soak them WD 40 for about a week then with a Torx bit driven by half inch socket with long knuckle bar, turning clockwise initially to break any seal. Then as previously mentioned, extracting them diagonally oppositely taking care to keep the socket upright to prevent cross threading whilst removing, steel and alloy don't mix! One head snapped but on further inspection it had already been snapped and stuck back in by the previous owner with superglue!!!! Thanks to the forum member who sold them to me, won't mention any names but also were buckled-teach me to buy without looking, wondered why he packaged them up so well for the handover!!!!! As per Mr Wilkes have bought a replacement from dealer and sent rim off to engineering shop where with penetrating oil, some warmth and persuasion they hope to remove it, otherwise they'll weld a 7mm nut to remove it-here's hoping.
X5 30i
530 GT
420 M Sport Plus Grand Coupe-hardon karmon,19" alloys, pro nav, sun roof
Z4 2.5 Roadster, cruise, xenons, sports suspension, red leather, heated seats, heated folding mirrors, aux fitted, 107s, roof motor in boot.

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Splitting 108's ?

Post by mr wilks » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:08 pm

George7 wrote:To add some more to the already experienced posts, the bolts are a very fine 7mm thread, should be stainless steel but could be high tensile steel. They may or not be held in with loctite thread adhesive depending on whether they've been split before or not. I found the best way to remove them was to soak them WD 40 for about a week then with a Torx bit driven by half inch socket with long knuckle bar, turning clockwise initially to break any seal. Then as previously mentioned, extracting them diagonally oppositely taking care to keep the socket upright to prevent cross threading whilst removing, steel and alloy don't mix! One head snapped but on further inspection it had already been snapped and stuck back in by the previous owner with superglue!!!! Thanks to the forum member who sold them to me, won't mention any names but also were buckled-teach me to buy without looking, wondered why he packaged them up so well for the handover!!!!! As per Mr Wilkes have bought a replacement from dealer and sent rim off to engineering shop where with penetrating oil, some warmth and persuasion they hope to remove it, otherwise they'll weld a 7mm nut to remove it-here's hoping.

Shame you were dealt a bad deal on your used set of 108s , they can be more trouble than their worth at times :cry:
The bolts themselves should be titanium George & if there is any thread left out of the rim the easiest way i found to remove it was grind 2 flat surfaces then turn out with a small adjustable or spanner

3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Splitting 108's ?

Post by Ducklakeview » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:08 pm

George7 wrote:To add some more to the already experienced posts, the bolts are a very fine 7mm thread, should be stainless steel but could be high tensile steel. They may or not be held in with loctite thread adhesive depending on whether they've been split before or not. I found the best way to remove them was to soak them WD 40 for about a week then with a Torx bit driven by half inch socket with long knuckle bar, turning clockwise initially to break any seal. Then as previously mentioned, extracting them diagonally oppositely taking care to keep the socket upright to prevent cross threading whilst removing, steel and alloy don't mix! One head snapped but on further inspection it had already been snapped and stuck back in by the previous owner with superglue!!!! Thanks to the forum member who sold them to me, won't mention any names but also were buckled-teach me to buy without looking, wondered why he packaged them up so well for the handover!!!!! As per Mr Wilkes have bought a replacement from dealer and sent rim off to engineering shop where with penetrating oil, some warmth and persuasion they hope to remove it, otherwise they'll weld a 7mm nut to remove it-here's hoping.
The bolts are titanium.

Mike

Bumpy

Splitting 108's ?

Post by Bumpy » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:17 pm

mr wilks wrote:If the sizes fit then get the Michelin's onto the 108s & run them down before contemplating buying more rubber :oops: :thumbsup:
Actually this is great advice.
No sense in wasting good Michelin rubber, growing old in the basement.
Mr. Wilks clarifies the obvious again.
More respect your way. :driving:
:icb: Bumpy