Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Nice new tyres fitted but unpleasant surprise

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
Glyn

Re: Nice new tyres fitted but unpleasant surprise

Post by Glyn » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:40 pm

Adamski wrote:
Glyn wrote:On a lighter note, is it weird to quite like the smell of new tyres? :D :?
Whatever floats your boat mate :wink:
I can't be the only (reasonably sane) person that does :lol:
2013 E89 SDrive35is - Melbourne Red
2005 E85 Alpina Roadster S Lux - Japan Red - SOLD

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:52 pm

Glyn wrote:On a lighter note, is it weird to quite like the smell of new tyres? :D :?
Tyre sniffer! :poke:
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:04 pm

I have two new tyres in my office at the moment, it is like working in a car garage at the moment (and they sure are HUGE).
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

tabbie

Post by tabbie » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:05 pm

I had a snapped spring replaced on my 2007 z4 under bmw warranty only this week, only had the car 5 weeks not sure if that made a difference. Even got the fog lights replaced as they were misting up :thumbsup:
57 plate 2ltr sport which is my daily, now sadly sold!!! Has been an adventure.

andysat
Lifer
Lifer

Post by andysat » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:07 pm

Got a spring replaced FOC during an oil service at the stealers,i didnt even get the car from the stealers-said it was a goodwill gesture as the car was low mileage,no luck on the fogging foggies tho
Gone but not forgotten.
New ride silver e93.

Glyn

Post by Glyn » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:12 pm

Well the spring was replaced today and the warranty covered it :)

Apparently the other rear spring was replaced under warranty by the previous owner only 6000 miles ago.

johnnyboyrevel

Post by johnnyboyrevel » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:21 pm

Had 4 New Falkens fitted free weeks ago and this morning woke up to find a big dirty screw in the rear passengers tyres. Luckily could pump it up and drive to ATS for them to repair it. Who`d buy a car without a spare tyre!! :?

Sportbilly

Post by Sportbilly » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:00 am

When I bought my 54 plate Z4 in the summer I asked if springs were covered on the warranty and the salesman checked and said yes as long as the car hasn't done more than 65k miles. That was Sytner Nottingham.
E85 3.0i SE

Glyn

Post by Glyn » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:43 am

Sportbilly wrote:When I bought my 54 plate Z4 in the summer I asked if springs were covered on the warranty and the salesman checked and said yes as long as the car hasn't done more than 65k miles. That was Sytner Nottingham.
They do seem to contradict themselves, as mine has done more than 65k and just had the O/S/R spring replaced under the BMW Insured Warranty (Comprehensive) at Sytner Nottingham.

Also what doesn't seem clear is what happens if the springs have been replaced at some point and subsequently fail again. The mileage of the car in this scenario should be irrelevant as long as it is still under the BMW Warranty (either AUC or Insured). I cannot see what argument they could use against it being covered, especially as springs seem to have been failing for people at much lower mileages.

NigelB

Post by NigelB » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:47 am

Is there any way of checking of the Springs are O.K. Without taking the wheels off or any other signs to look out for?
Mazda MX5 1.8i 20th Anniversary Edition - 2010 - Crystal Pearl White
Previously Z4 2007 2.0i Sport Roadster - Sapphire Black - Pearl Grey Oregon Leather

lacroupade
Lifer
Lifer

Post by lacroupade » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:51 am

sp3ctre wrote:
Taz x wrote: i had warranty work done as a good will gesture - explain that 1 lol
If it was work that was under warranty, during the warranty period, then why was it "good will"? I think it's just semantics though, work that is not covered under the warranty agreement being done "good will" is not "warranty" in my mind, although they could say they "cover it under warranty".
I'd agree its is semantics, otherwise they might be opening a can of worms.

As regards any dealer/BMW contribution, imagine the fun the lawyers would have of a busted spring resulted in a serious RTA, especially when its a recognised weakness? I'd keep at 'em.

Just another reflection of standard german engineering response which tends to completely fail to accept responsibility when they got it wrong.
==============================================================
If toast always lands jam side down, and a cat always lands on its feet, what happens when you strap a piece of toast, jam side up, to the back of a cat?

2alpsade

Post by 2alpsade » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:45 pm

NigelB wrote:Is there any way of checking of the Springs are O.K. Without taking the wheels off or any other signs to look out for?
No, not really. Wheels-off is the best method as you need to see the ends (where they usually snap). Or, you may be lucky enough to be able to clamber under and see top and bottom of the springs. Not my idea of fun... :thumbsdown: You may hear them snap (I've heard springs snap on an old car of mine - both sides, different occasions), and similarly you may
hear something as you're driving (light rattle of spring on spring).

Great result, Glyn :thumbsup:
''10' Alpina E92 B3SBiTurbo #285, manual, Sapphire black, Classics and black/birch bi-colour Lavalina interior.FOR SALE
'13' Alpine White F21 118d Sport.
ex-54' Alpina E85 Roadster S lux #168, Sapphire black & dream red leather (1 of 167 RHD)

sjj84

Post by sjj84 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:56 am

BMW extended warranty covers springs upto 60k miles after which you may be able to get them done under goodwill. Had them done on my M3, 8 years old and 59k miles.