Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Winter Tyre Information - info / threads / posts / vids

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
Guiseley

Re: Winter Tyre Information - info / threads / posts / vids

Post by Guiseley » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:09 pm

The winters are coming off this week-end too - maybe 1 week later than I could / should have.

But last year I took them off on the Friday, and woke to find a light dusting of snow the following morning, so have been a little bit more dubious this time around :)
Blue Z4C now long gone, as is it's replacement, and the Red Zed's gone too.. now piloting a rather tasty Carmine flat6

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:36 pm

Right then, just need to get the nails removed from my summers that I found (centre of tread so should be fixable :thumbsup: ) and slap 'em back on. Oh yeah, and buy a torque wrench and a jack :oops:
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

PawnSacrifice
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PawnSacrifice » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:42 pm

Well, the summer tyres went back on last weekend and the car feels better for it. I don't think the narrower rears enjoyed that much negative camber!

Also, anyone else find their car suddenly getting a lot noisier? Especially with asymmetrics. Getting used to it again now and won't think anything of it in a few weeks.
2003 2.5i. Info: Winter Tyres | PDF Manuals, Retrofit Instructions and Links | Modifications | YouTube | #Project924

Hey, wet-pants! This isn't the Womens Auxiliary Balloon Corps.

a11y
Lifer
Lifer

Post by a11y » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:55 pm

PawnSacrifice wrote:Well, the summer tyres went back on last weekend and the car feels better for it. I don't think the narrower rears enjoyed that much negative camber!

Also, anyone else find their car suddenly getting a lot noisier? Especially with asymmetrics. Getting used to it again now and won't think anything of it in a few weeks.
I put my summers back on before the weekend's Tayside Z4 meet and glad I did: warm enough all day. Haven't found them noisier, but I have noticed a significant deterioration in ride comfort changing from the 16's back to the 18's. It could just be the roads that have deteriorated though :(
::::: e90 330i M Sport :::::

RichardG

Post by RichardG » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:07 pm

Well I'll be driving home on the 11th in Winter configuration, Hardtop and Winter Tyres but then comes the Glorious 12th 19"s back on and roof down in the sunshine :driving:
04 2.5 SE, Alpine iDA X-305, Eibach's, M Tri-Colour MFSW, CF Roundells, LeatherZ Armrest, De-Gingered, 19" VMR V710's, Aero Skirts, Fr & R M Bumpers, Quad Exhaust and NO Stubby

aquazi
Lifer
Lifer

Post by aquazi » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:36 pm

Just found this:

Unfortunately the only place which seems to have Vreds in stock is mytyres. And cant get them in 255/35/18.

May just order them in 225/40/18 all round from mytyres at £127.36.

Alternative is 225/40/18 Falkens (quite low on the ratings though) and as they are a bargain £97.00 each :o

WLH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by WLH » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:43 pm

I use the Bridgestone LM-60's which are quite good and according to the chart above have the highest rating for snow.
I can't see why they would have a summer rating as winter tires should be removed well before then... :o
2007 ///M Roadster - My Zed's - Member ZSCCA - ///M Registry - My Videos

cj_eds

Post by cj_eds » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:14 pm

Is it that time of year again already! We haven't had a summer yet...

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:17 pm

My winters are Avon Ice Touring - not even on the list :rofl:
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

Guiseley

Post by Guiseley » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:51 pm

Bing wrote:My winters are Avon Ice Touring - not even on the list :rofl:

Snap - we're obviously both cheapskates. 2 winters in and still loads of tread :) but not the highest performing tyres dynamically are they!
Blue Z4C now long gone, as is it's replacement, and the Red Zed's gone too.. now piloting a rather tasty Carmine flat6

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:20 pm

Guiseley wrote:
Bing wrote:My winters are Avon Ice Touring - not even on the list :rofl:

Snap - we're obviously both cheapskates. 2 winters in and still loads of tread :) but not the highest performing tyres dynamically are they!
To be honest Guiseley I didn't have a problem with them except when it got warmer - they did me fine, and got me through what ice and snow we had with no issues. I tend to be careful with my hooning when it is cold / wet / icy, just a product of where I grew up... Also I was pretty taken by the transformation from Bridgestone RFTs at the time to non-RFTS, so any difference in dynamism was probably overshadowed by my overall comfort level :D

Mine have loads of tread after one winter, and the great thing is that because they are not directional I can swap the rears to the front and even up the wear :thumbsup:

That said, the rims will need a serious re-furb after this winter...

andicole0

Post by andicole0 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:33 pm

Just had some Bridgestones fitted following a nasty cut in one and decided to go to winters early. These will stay on the original wheels giving me the winter to finish off my 108's.

The winter tyres were very difficult to get hold of, Michelin only had a mismatched set of four and had no date for this years release. Apparently all winter tyres get taken up in Europe then the ones that are left get shipped to the UK.

Andi.

a11y
Lifer
Lifer

Post by a11y » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:16 pm

aquazi wrote:Alternative is 225/40/18 Falkens (quite low on the ratings though) and as they are a bargain £97.00 each :o
TBH you can read and read reviews but I always take them with a pinch of salt. Other reviews I've read give quite opposing views on some of the ratings in that table you posted.

I've gone for the Falken HS-439s fof this winter: 225/40/18 and 255/35/18 for my e90. I struggled to find many options for keeping the staggered size setup as I didn't want to drop to narrower rears on a heavier car.
::::: e90 330i M Sport :::::

Raymond1

Post by Raymond1 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:20 pm

I have Honda civic 2009 so guys can you suggest me what type of winter tires I should use.
Because I don't think that I have much knowledge about tires and car's other parts. So guys
I feel it necessary to take your suggestion about the winter tire which are affordable and good.

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:44 pm

Raymond1 wrote:I have Honda civic 2009 so guys can you suggest me what type of winter tires I should use.
Because I don't think that I have much knowledge about tires and car's other parts. So guys
I feel it necessary to take your suggestion about the winter tire which are affordable and good.
You realise this is a BMW forum, right ? TBH I don't know anything about Honda tyres specifically, but I think the ranking list above applies across all cars. Avon Ice Touring are nicely bottom end price, Falkens in the middle, and Vredsteins at the top end. All have good reps on here...