Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Dust caps

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
Prestonese

Dust caps

Post by Prestonese » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:13 pm

Some little thief nabbed them off my M roadster. All 4 of them! :headbang: :thumbsdown:

Can anyone recommend a place to get hold of some OEM replacements? Sounds wierd but I was particularly fond of them!
Last edited by Prestonese on Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2007 Z4M Roadster / Ruby black / Red Leather / No Mods

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Dust caps

Post by Smartbear » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:16 pm

Prestonese wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:13 pm Some little thief nabbed them off my M roadster All 4 of them! :headbang: :thumbsdown:

Can anyone recommend a place to get hold of some OEM replacements? Sounds wierd but I was particularly fond of them!
I got some stainless replacements from eBay which look just like the oe ones, cheap as chips :thumbsup:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Prestonese

Dust caps

Post by Prestonese » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:27 pm

Thanks. I've seen some which requires an Allen key to secure. That would help put up some resistance. Anyone used these and do they fit the Z4?

They probably seem like a good idea until you need to inflate the tyres again and the Allen key is in a toolbox at home.....
2007 Z4M Roadster / Ruby black / Red Leather / No Mods

philbo909

Dust caps

Post by philbo909 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:52 pm

Prestonese wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:27 pm Thanks. I've seen some which requires an Allen key to secure. That would help put up some resistance. Anyone used these and do they fit the Z4?

They probably seem like a good idea until you need to inflate the tyres again and the Allen key is in a toolbox at home.....
Not used these, but bought my coupe with some aftermarket dust caps, which corroded themselves on and I had to dremel off, so don't buy cheap!
Sapphire black z4 coupe 135,000miles young

dhobbs

Dust caps

Post by dhobbs » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:46 pm

I got normal ones and glued Lego stormtrooper helmets on. Almost a perfect fit.
A bit of fun for a couple of quid.
3.0si roadster. Requisite stubby. Sound gen mod. LED numberplate lights. LED boot strip. Interior lights LED too. ZHP gearknob. Daily drive :driving:
Motor in boot. Bilstein B8 dampers. New radio, much better sounds :thumbsup:

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Dust caps

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:47 pm

philbo909 wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:52 pm
Prestonese wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:27 pm Thanks. I've seen some which requires an Allen key to secure. That would help put up some resistance. Anyone used these and do they fit the Z4?

Not used these, but bought my coupe with some aftermarket dust caps, which corroded themselves on and I had to dremel off, so don't buy cheap!
I bought a cheap set on Amazon with the BMW roundel on them but didn't use the little allen bolt because it must secure the cap against the thread on the valve, and I didn't want the thread getting damaged!

I knew I'd need to loosen and re-tighten them from time to time to stop them getting corroded on (I've had that problem before) but I never had to do that because within a few weeks someone had nicked all 4 of them! :headbang:

As the car lives outside it's back to black plastic for me now! :(
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

philbo909

Dust caps

Post by philbo909 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:14 am

Mr Tidy wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:47 pm
philbo909 wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:52 pm

I bought a cheap set on Amazon with the BMW roundel on them but didn't use the little allen bolt because it must secure the cap against the thread on the valve, and I didn't want the thread getting damaged!

I knew I'd need to loosen and re-tighten them from time to time to stop them getting corroded on (I've had that problem before) but I never had to do that because within a few weeks someone had nicked all 4 of them! :headbang:

As the car lives outside it's back to black plastic for me now! :(
I currently have bbs ch-r ones that came with my wheels, not been stolen yet, but as soon as they do it'll be back to plastic caps!
Sapphire black z4 coupe 135,000miles young

thanatu55

Dust caps

Post by thanatu55 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:43 am

I have these gold bullet dust caps that match my wheel nut covers. Sticking something bright and shiny down there it's like I'm advertising to get them nicked at some point.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bullet-Valve ... Swzx9Z082J