Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Help for a tyre novice please

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
thanatu55

Post by thanatu55 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:58 pm

So I've took a bit of a schooling from the forum on what NOT to have on my new 19's. However I am a complete novice with next to no clue what I'm doing and scrolling through eBay it's just a load of names and numbers to me. So I'm going to have to ask some basic daft questions and any help would be amazing.

First - Are there certain rules when it comes to picking brands? As in should all tyres be the same brand, or is it ok to have say two Michelin Pilot Sport on the front and two Pirelli P-Zero on the back?

- If that is acceptable and I could get that combo as 225/35/19 Michelin on the front and 255/30/19 Pirelli on the back, all part worn for around £200 is that good / bad ?

I'm under the assumption that it's best to have all the same, yet I've been advised to get good part worn tyres. But if you're looking to get all four same brand tyres from somewhere like Ebay it's almost impossible to find four that match.

Considering the above is my current situation, what advice would you give me?

Thanks

bmwaddict

Post by bmwaddict » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:52 am

Read some tyre reviews from places such as EVO magazine, etc, the more the better, but ultimately comes down to your budget and what you get on with. I have Bridgestone Potenzas on my current car, and I really don't like them at all, when they're due to be changed I'll go back to what I know and like, either Goodyear Eagle F1s (brilliant in the wet, slightly compromised on all out dry speed) or Michelin Pilot Super Sports (the opposite to the GYs).
As long as you have matching tyres on each axle should be okay, but I'd go for a matching set front and rear if I was you.

I'd avoid part worn tyres, just save and get as good new ones as you can afford. Tyres are one area not worth skimping on.

There are some good tyre discount sites, Black Circles, Oponeo, I usually use Camskill, good prices for tyres delivered and then get them fitted locally, a bit of a hassle but well worth it for the saving. Some of them even do finance.

My advice would be if you drive the car in all weathers, go for Goodyear Eagle F1s, you won't be dissapointed, always cheaper than equivalent Michelins and Continentals, Bridgestones etc, slow wearing yet grippy, and usually come first or second in tests in the wet, a big factor for us here in the rainy U.K.

Hope this helps.
Dan
Last edited by bmwaddict on Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Currently zedless :(

'07 Mugello Blue Audi B7 RS4 Saloon with added goodies
'94 Black/Silver/Green Honda CBR400RR
Previous:
'07 Ruby Black Z4MC
'07 Sapphire Black Z4C 3.0si Sport

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Post by patriot66 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:53 am

Brakes and tyres. The two most important components on a car. Don't compromise on either. Personally I wouldn't fit part-worns. There is no way of knowing what they have been subjected to. Imagine if a steel-belt in a particular tyre had been damaged previous to you buying it and soon after fractured, resulting in a sidewall or tread bulge that would certainly effect braking/handling and possibly lead to a blow out and accident. :cry: Is it a risk worth taking ?
I know some drivers run different tyre brands on front and rear axles but again personally I wouldn't. What if the dry grip levels on one axle are significantly higher or lower than the other axle, or the sidewalls flex more or are rock hard, or the wet grip levels on one axle are non-existent ? Handling, braking and grip could all be compromised with potentially disastrous consequences. :(
I would set yourself a budget of £300, £400, £500, £600 or whatever and stick to it. Look on Oponeo, Camskill etc first for prices. Bear in mind if looking at reviews that the Z4 is a front engined RWD car. Some tyres are better suited to FWD. People on here swear by Michelin, Goodyear, Vredestein, Continental etc, etc. All excellent brands and I don't think you will go wrong with any of the big names. I have been running a full set of Avon ZZ5s on my Zed. They are a medium price range tyre but for my driving style and within my budget I am more than pleased with them and will be fitting a new pair on the back axle soon. :thumbsup:
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

thanatu55

Post by thanatu55 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:02 am

Thank's guys you've given me food for thought. I'll do a bit of reading and shop about rather than just scrolling through ebay!

Smurfalot

Post by Smurfalot » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:25 am

Goodyear Eagles AS2, had those on my E85, and it was never a problem in the wet. Decent price too.
Just put Avon ZZ5's on the E89, and been impressed so far. About 1000miles driven since fitting.
Now: Jaguar XF R Sport red/black leather and soooo many new toys
Gone :cry: sdrive 30i, silver, black leather, 19" wheels
Gone :cry: 2.0i sport. Black. Black Piano trim. Black Leather.