Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

OBD Scanner - Which app?

How-To articles are in here.
AlfaScozzesi

OBD Scanner - Which app?

Post by AlfaScozzesi » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:26 pm

Okay so saw a few threads on here about these with a few links to the appropriate scanner.

Anyhoooo...... After a couple of glasses I ordered one like in the pic.

It has now arrived and now I have no idea which app to buy. It is the wi-fi one as someone recommended but not even sure what the various apps can show.

I would appreciate any recommendations.

:thumbsup:
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (90.47 KiB) Viewed 9845 times

alane29

OBD Scanner - Which app?

Post by alane29 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:40 pm

Have not used it myself but i believe the app is called "torque" an android app
2007 E86 M Coupe
2005 E85 2.5SE

AlfaScozzesi

OBD Scanner - Which app?

Post by AlfaScozzesi » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:37 pm

alane29 wrote:Have not used it myself but i believe the app is called "torque" an android app

Should have said I am all Apple :oops:

Thanks for the recommendation and I can have a look to see if there's an iOS version. :thumbsup:

markeg
Lifer
Lifer

OBD Scanner - Which app?

Post by markeg » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:08 pm

Try DashCmd on the iPad/iPhone. I use it on mine.
previous: Alpina Roadster S, #108: gone
current: MB C-class
"veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around..."

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

OBD Scanner - Which app?

Post by Chris_D » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:13 pm

Not allowed to post link here i think, but i'll be giving my 'spurious' copy of 'carly' for ios a go once my bluetooth obd dongle arrives.
Have also purchased a multi-protocol usb cable to have a crack at using 'sss' 'inpa' 'dis' and 'bmw scanner' on the laptop.
Hoping to solve a rough-idle problem....
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

9designs

OBD Scanner - Which app?

Post by 9designs » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:53 am

Perhaps I should have searched here first.... ordered a wifi OBD2 scanner, bought the veepeak, which online was said to be very good.... but it won't talk to the car... app links to it etc. So I need the brand shown above only?
57 Plate 3.0 Si Auto SilverGrey - Red Leather
E89 35iS Space Grey - Red Leather. SOLD
56 Plate 3.0 SI Manual - Black with Red Leather- Scorpion exhaust, BC coil overs SOLD
54 Plate 3.0 SE Auto - Silver with Red Leather. SOLD

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

OBD Scanner - Which app?

Post by Chris_D » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:25 pm

On trying a dodgy copy of Carly with a cheap ebay dongle i decided to go the whole hog when a pukka dongle came up on here for sale.
Bought the dongle and the Carly-pro IOSapp from itunes and couldnt be happier. works a treat for diagnostics and coding..
http://www.mycarly.com/product/bmw-app/

adey

OBD Scanner - Which app?

Post by adey » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:30 am

+1 for the bmw Carly I use the android version and have coded folding mirrors and digital speedo so far

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

OBD Scanner - Which app?

Post by Chris_D » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:33 am

adey wrote:+1 for the bmw Carly I use the android version and have coded folding mirrors and digital speedo so far
I found the coding to enable roof to continue opening or closing while on the move handy too :wink:
Have do e lights, alarms, windows and few other things.

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

OBD Scanner - Which app?

Post by Ducklakeview » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:00 am

Chris_D wrote:On trying a dodgy copy of Carly with a cheap ebay dongle i decided to go the whole hog when a pukka dongle came up on here for sale.
Bought the dongle and the Carly-pro IOSapp from itunes and couldnt be happier. works a treat for diagnostics and coding..
http://www.mycarly.com/product/bmw-app/
+1 on Carly, although I have a "proper" Android phone :) (No IOS in our family!!)

I went for the wired, genuine cable which was around £29. I believe it works with more vehicles than the bluetooth one, and TBH if I am coding stuff, I prefer having a wired connection.

Mike

Cees Klumper

OBD Scanner - Which app?

Post by Cees Klumper » Fri May 17, 2019 10:17 pm

Apparently Carly now charges an annual 'subscription fee' ($60?). I got a Foxwell 520 handheld scan tool that seems to be able to do most things the Carly full-on app does, including programming, registering the battery etc. You can also load other cars' software for $60 for each additional model car. Reviews are very good and so far I have been able to check all systems, clear a few old codes etc and it seems quite legit to me.
2011 sDrive 35i Alpine White
100,000 miles 3rd owner
Other BMW is a 2016 C650 Sport scooter-beast

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

OBD Scanner - Which app?

Post by flybobbie » Fri May 17, 2019 10:33 pm

I never had much luck with the plug in things, had several and all seem to end up not connecting. I bought the Foxwell 520 to help fix my roof fault. Seems a lot more capable than i have learnt so far.

belljul

OBD Scanner - Which app?

Post by belljul » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:00 am

Cees Klumper wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 10:17 pm Apparently Carly now charges an annual 'subscription fee' ($60?). I got a Foxwell 520 handheld scan tool that seems to be able to do most things the Carly full-on app does, including programming, registering the battery etc. You can also load other cars' software for $60 for each additional model car. Reviews are very good and so far I have been able to check all systems, clear a few old codes etc and it seems quite legit to me.
Hi... So did that work to program the roof and fold mirrors etc too? I already have an obd2 reader which works fine on Bluetooth... But I really need something that can program the roof etc... Do I really need to but a Carly or can I use my current obd2 reader with some other software?

Pbondar

OBD Scanner - Which app?

Post by Pbondar » Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:50 pm

belljul wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:00 am
Cees Klumper wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 10:17 pm Apparently Carly now charges an annual 'subscription fee' ($60?). I got a Foxwell 520 handheld scan tool that seems to be able to do most things the Carly full-on app does, including programming, registering the battery etc. You can also load other cars' software for $60 for each additional model car. Reviews are very good and so far I have been able to check all systems, clear a few old codes etc and it seems quite legit to me.
Hi... So did that work to program the roof and fold mirrors etc too? I already have an obd2 reader which works fine on Bluetooth... But I really need something that can program the roof etc... Do I really need to but a Carly or can I use my current obd2 reader with some other software?
I have several, foxwell 520, Carly ISTA and INPA..

The most expensive, least user friendly and most comprehensive are the bmw tools ISTA and INPA...

Foxwell and Carly are partly complementary..neither does a full set of the other...Carly is more cosmetic , foxwell more industrial

Neither are as rich as the bmw tools but much much more user friendly and much less likely to b@gg*r things up.. :thumbsup:

For maintenance related tasks foxwell is generally better, if you want to sequence your Christmas tree whilst braking then Carly.. :rofl:

Cees Klumper

OBD Scanner - Which app?

Post by Cees Klumper » Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:10 pm

belljul wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:00 am
Cees Klumper wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 10:17 pm ... I got a Foxwell 520 handheld scan tool that seems to be able to do most things the Carly full-on app does, including programming, registering the battery etc.
I have not tried to program the roof or the mirrors, so can't say whether the Foxwell does that. It does seem to do everything I need though.
2011 sDrive 35i Alpine White
100,000 miles 3rd owner
Other BMW is a 2016 C650 Sport scooter-beast