Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Using battery trickle charger over winter

How-To articles are in here.
Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Using battery trickle charger over winter

Post by Ewazix » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:48 pm

LeeZ4MR wrote:
Smartbear wrote:
If you had a long enough extension lead this method could also let you drive to the local shops without disconnecting the charger :rofl:
Regards
:lol:

I used to forget mine was plugged in! :oops: and on a few occasions I have driven out of the garage and ripped the cables apart but luckily each time I managed to fix the connections without too much of an issue.
+1 on crashing noises when leaving the bat-cave :oops:

I now hang a red cloth on the drivers door mirror as a reminder when the ctek is fitted
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

Oakleyextreme

Post by Oakleyextreme » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:20 pm

LeeZ4MR wrote:
Smartbear wrote:
If you had a long enough extension lead this method could also let you drive to the local shops without disconnecting the charger :rofl:
Regards

I used to forget mine was plugged in! :oops: and on a few occasions I have driven out of the garage and ripped the cables apart but luckily each time I managed to fix the connections without too much of an issue.
Hope you have a circuit breaker :oldman:

LeeZ4MR
Lifer
Lifer

Post by LeeZ4MR » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:34 pm

Ewazix wrote:
LeeZ4MR wrote:
Smartbear wrote:
Regards

+1 on crashing noises when leaving the bat-cave :oops:

I now hang a red cloth on the drivers door mirror as a reminder when the ctek is fitted
Yes that is a good idea :thumbsup:
Current...BMW F82 M4 Coupe 2018
370Z Roadster 2011
Merc GLE400d 2022
Caterham 7 2002

Previous...
640d 2012
330i 2006
Z4MR 2006
E92 M3 2009
X5 4.8iS 2004
TVR Cerbera 4.5

LeeZ4MR
Lifer
Lifer

Post by LeeZ4MR » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:34 pm

Oakleyextreme wrote:
LeeZ4MR wrote:
Smartbear wrote:
Regards

Hope you have a circuit breaker :oldman:
Good advice :thumbsup:
Current...BMW F82 M4 Coupe 2018
370Z Roadster 2011
Merc GLE400d 2022
Caterham 7 2002

Previous...
640d 2012
330i 2006
Z4MR 2006
E92 M3 2009
X5 4.8iS 2004
TVR Cerbera 4.5

paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer

Post by paddy wright » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:45 pm

mr wilks wrote:I trickle charge to the under bonnet points but feed the extension flex (with single outlet ) into engine bay near the wipers so i can close the bonnet properly without it trapping
I don't like the idea of a crushed or trapped lead leading to a possible 240v car :o although it is plugged into circuit breaker as well
+1 this is the best solution in my eyes.
Z4 2.2 sterling grey,Msport seats,retrofit cupholders,cruise,footwell lights,sound gen and mfsw,18"ellipsoids,xenons+light washers,ZHPknob,folding mirrors,3"stubby,update wheel caps,gateway300 ipod, wind deflector to keep the wife happy!

jan_tekin

Post by jan_tekin » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:56 pm

My CTEC is stuck on my garage wall, brought an extension cable for it so it connects to the battery in the boot and I close it properly to its all alarmed.
Current: M135i
Sold:3.0lsi Sport Roadster, Xenons,Heated seats, blutooth, Hi Fi,Comfort Pack, Cruse Control, Stormworks ST1
Gear Knob, Stubby, KW V2s, 224s

markeg
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markeg » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:51 pm

PerryGunn wrote:Same as Taz, CTEK charger in boot connected directly to battery, mains cable running out under boot lid.

Car is garaged and locked but with the boot lid down but not latched - I don't think the alarm activates until both doors and the boot are shut/latched
I do this, but i set the boot as "latched", i.e. lock set, whilst still open, but then shut the boot lid without latching it. System thinks the boot is locked shut, but is only locked. No compression of the cable at all.

BTW, I also put a dehumidifier in the boot and main cabin - non electrical ones - to soak up any moisture. An easy home-made one is to use some cat litter and old socks (pour the cat litter into one sock, then place into the other sock). Replace the cat litter every couple of weeks, or just dry it out on a radiator for a couple of hours.
previous: Alpina Roadster S, #108: gone
current: MB C-class
"veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around..."

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:16 pm

Mines in the garage and unlocked - the charger is connected to the posts under the bonnet which is left cracked open.
I use a cheapo golf cart type charger and it cycles the battery.
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:46 pm

markeg wrote: BTW, I also put a dehumidifier in the boot and main cabin - non electrical ones - to soak up any moisture. An easy home-made one is to use some cat litter and old socks (pour the cat litter into one sock, then place into the other sock). Replace the cat litter every couple of weeks, or just dry it out on a radiator for a couple of hours.
Old sock filled with cat litter drying on the radiator, ah the glamour of premium German sports car ownership :lol:
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

Baza

Post by Baza » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:48 am

I use a CTEC over the winter and connect direct to the battery terminals in the boot. I leave a rear quarter light fractionally open and run the cable in through that and then down into the boot, Works for me I have left the car both locked and unlocked it doesn't seem to make any difference.
Panther Kallista 2.8
S Drive 3.0i E89 2009 Space Grey Coral red Int 18" 295 wheels

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Number5 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:11 pm

Has anybody used a standard battery charger and just put it on a timer pkug to charge for 1hr a day ?
Would that cause any issues ?
Alpina Roadster #307
Porsche Boxster GTS
Previous Zs
Stratus E86
G29 30i
1x Imola Z4MR
Alpina #019
10x E85 Se/Si Roadsters
2x E89's
Roof Motor Relocations (Bristol)

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:43 pm

Baza wrote:......connect direct to the battery terminals in the boot....,
Is there any reason why you don't use the pegs under the bonnet?
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Baza

Post by Baza » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:26 am

No not really the mains supply is nearer to the boot thats all

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:08 am

Number5 wrote:Has anybody used a standard battery charger and just put it on a timer pkug to charge for 1hr a day ?
That would probably be OK at a low rate but not at full whack which could result in plate damage. The latest ctek smart chargers 'read' the charge state and adjust charge rates, apparently a normal charge-up will only take a battery to 80% or so although it will indicate 100%. You can try it, when you leave a freshly charged battery for a few hours the charge dissipates away from the plates in to the liquid/gel and will then accept more charge giving the impression it has discharged a bit, but this is normal. The ctek reads this and feeds more in as and when. Secondly some ctek use a pulse discharge/charge cycle to help de-sulphur plates effectively restoring them (sulphation is caused by allowing a battery to become discharged).

The battery in my car is now 13 years old and still good, probably as a result of the ctek - but I'm probably tempting fate :P
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Number5 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:13 am

Ewazix wrote:
Number5 wrote:Has anybody used a standard battery charger and just put it on a timer pkug to charge for 1hr a day ?
That would probably be OK at a low rate but not at full whack which could result in plate damage. The latest ctek smart chargers 'read' the charge state and adjust charge rates, apparently a normal charge-up will only take a battery to 80% or so although it will indicate 100%. You can try it, when you leave a freshly charged battery for a few hours the charge dissipates away from the plates in to the liquid/gel and will then accept more charge giving the impression it has discharged a bit, but this is normal. The ctek reads this and feeds more in as and when. Secondly some ctek use a pulse discharge/charge cycle to help de-sulphur plates effectively restoring them (sulphation is caused by allowing a battery to become discharged).

The battery in my car is now 13 years old and still good, probably as a result of the ctek - but I'm probably tempting fate :P
Cheers. my charger reads it as it has a 4 stage LEd indicator, it also says it trickles once fully charged, but its not a CTEC.
Alpina Roadster #307
Porsche Boxster GTS
Previous Zs
Stratus E86
G29 30i
1x Imola Z4MR
Alpina #019
10x E85 Se/Si Roadsters
2x E89's
Roof Motor Relocations (Bristol)