Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Might be the best cost and time saving fix ever-Ebrake failure.

How-To articles are in here.
4zwmb

Post by 4zwmb » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:21 pm

Hi, today I encountered this video about fixing the e-brake failure. For this guy with this car it was so easy and completely free of charge! I know a lot of us have had this problem with our z4s, including me. As far as I know and from my own experience, only a software issue was able to fix the e-brake failure. However have a look at this video...makes me think if somehow ours could have been fixed this way too. I really dont know if its possible for our cars but its very interesting to see that this simple thing could have avoided us from a lot of hassle! Let me know what you think guys...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMYDeivxsr4

4zwmb

Post by 4zwmb » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:54 pm

This is what you find once you try to get to the fuse box. I dont know which icon shows the fuse for the e-brake though.
z4-fusebox.jpg
z4-fusebox.jpg (195.2 KiB) Viewed 6527 times

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:03 pm

Hi, not sure if this is related to the issue with ebrakes that seem to affect z4’s?
From what I’ve read, it seems to be a below par battery that triggers the issue & renders the software faulty requiring an updated version to be applied at the dealers.
I’d be surprised if a reboot is going to fix that, it won’t hurt to try it though as it’s quick & cheap :)
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

spiicytuna

Post by spiicytuna » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:01 am

4zwmb wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:54 pm This is what you find once you try to get to the fuse box. I dont know which icon shows the fuse for the e-brake though.
Anyone?? Same question.

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:06 am

Well my business partners car eBrake failed, it had 12k miles on it and other than going in to BMW every five minutes to have the roof fixed, i wouldn't have thought that it was a low battery fault that caused the software to fail.
In fact it was the final straw and a few days later traded it in for a Merc.

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:11 am

90,26,82 from the wiring diagram.
So first box top left with ABS on it.

tintoverano

Post by tintoverano » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:59 am

flybobbie wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:11 am 90,26,82 from the wiring diagram.
So first box top left with ABS on it.
hi Robbie, are these the only fuses involved?

I found this below, but I'm no expert

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e89- ... t/2dP0alOB

thanks
mSport 23i
Coding Help, Stubby, Remap, K&N filter, Cruise Ctrl, Reverse cam, Instrument Cluster Color, UR front brace, CDV delete, Android on CIC, Roof Module, LSD

TDJ Stefan

Post by TDJ Stefan » Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:26 pm

Simply replacing the fuses won´t work. I´ve tried and the only solution on the e89 is to update the EMF module that controls the the E-brake. No way around it sadly. And the trigger is as stated above a bad battery, something I´ve also confirmed myself.

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:22 pm

Bit of a stretch to call it a fix. He just removed and re-inserted the fuse.

The real solution for our ebrake issue is a software update which is almost as easy if you have BMW Tools setup on a laptop.

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:34 am

The ebrake is the emergency brake, i wonder what would happen if someone had a problem with their car brakes and had to apply the emergency brake to find it had failed, due to a software design fault.
A bit like the airbag not going off due to a manufacturing fault.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:14 am

flybobbie wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:34 am The ebrake is the emergency brake, i wonder what would happen if someone had a problem with their car brakes and had to apply the emergency brake to find it had failed, due to a software design fault.
A bit like the airbag not going off due to a manufacturing fault.
I’m not sure anyone’s had the ebrake fail while in use, it generally fails after the cars been left for a while & battery voltage has dipped below 11.5v, when the car’s started it would leave a warning light on the dash.
I agree it’s very poor of Bmw not to recognise this as their fault though :thumbsdown:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:33 am

Well my bus. partners car was her daily drive, she got home parked her car on her slopping driveway and a tried to apply the brake and wouldn't work. She had to find something as a precaution to put under the wheels. I'm not sure if her car had the hold brake. She had some concern getting it off her drive way.
When she got to work, she said this is the last straw. This was a Friday. By Tuesday she arrived at work in Merc. having px the Z4.

My argument once more is that this is a design fault and BMW should be fixing for free.
Would be interesting if there is software version causing those problems. Touch wood i have never had a problem in my 2009 car, but once i bought the car at 3 years 2nd hand it was called back by BMW for a software upgrade. I wonder how many other cars were called back, but perhaps not done.
I wonder when it will be part of MOT that all call backs for cars forms part of the pass.
I have yet to have the wiring call back, i don't want BMW buggering up the car that runs perfectly well.