Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

The dreaded bong

Johnbmwz4

The dreaded bong

Post by Johnbmwz4 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:17 pm

Hi was parking up at a friends house today when the dreaded bong went off. It said on my I drive screen tyre pressure monitor fault. I checked all the tyres and all ok. I went back to the car after half hour expecting the bong again but nothing , all ok. Even on the I drive system check all ok. Is it just an electrical glitch or a sign that something is on its way out. Has anyone else had this problem. My car is an E89
BMW E89 3.5i M Sport manual, loving it….
Audi S5 Cab, Great car but not special enough….
BMW E89 3.5i DCT, Havana Brown, should never have sold it…..
BMW E85 3.0 Auto, sadly missed (twice)

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

The dreaded bong

Post by flybobbie » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:25 pm

I had the same today when some idiot couldn't be patience at a flood and plough through drenching my car. As I parked up all the tyre warning lights and symbols lit up. Ignition off and on and all went away.

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

The dreaded bong

Post by MACK » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:53 pm

BMW tyre pressure monitoring systems can be temperamental in the cold, never heard of it on an E89 to be fair, but have on X5's and 5 series etc
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

The dreaded bong

Post by mr wilks » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:01 pm

Johnbmwz4 wrote:Hi was parking up at a friends house today when the dreaded bong went off.
I checked all the tyres and all ok.
Did you actually check the pressures or just visually look them over ?
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

The dreaded bong

Post by Maniac » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:07 pm

Crap on sensors or just a misreading due to you needing to reset the system (see idrive reset process for tyre pressures). Clearly you need to manually set all correct pressures before resetting the system.

Johnbmwz4

The dreaded bong

Post by Johnbmwz4 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:23 pm

mr wilks wrote:
Johnbmwz4 wrote:Hi was parking up at a friends house today when the dreaded bong went off.
Just visually checked them. I'll check at a garage to make sure all ok.

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

The dreaded bong

Post by mr wilks » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:25 pm

Johnbmwz4 wrote:
mr wilks wrote:
Most likely nothing to worry about , one of the tyres may have dropped a small amount but worth checking all 4 then resetting the TPMS
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

The dreaded bong

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:28 pm

Johnbmwz4 wrote:
Check them as soon as you can - if you still have run-flats a visual check won't tell you anything! Even a flat one doesn't collapse because the side-walls are so stiff!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

The dreaded bong

Post by MACK » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:34 pm

Mr Tidy wrote:
Johnbmwz4 wrote:
Check them as soon as you can - if you still have run-flats a visual check won't tell you anything! Even a flat one doesn't collapse because the side-walls are so stiff!
Even non runflats can get dangerously low on pressure without "looking a bit flat" Have you notice the car seems to feel/handle differently? Its a classic sign of low pressure on one or more tyres.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

Johnbmwz4

The dreaded bong

Post by Johnbmwz4 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:41 pm

MACK wrote:
Mr Tidy wrote:
Johnbmwz4 wrote:
Even non runflats can get dangerously low on pressure without "looking a bit flat" Have you notice the car seems to feel/handle differently? Its a classic sign of low pressure on one or more tyres.
I didn't drive far to get home so didn't notice a difference in handling. I will check the pressures tomorrow and report back

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

The dreaded bong

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:56 pm

Johnbmwz4 wrote:
I didn't drive far to get home so didn't notice a difference in handling. I will check the pressures tomorrow and report back
FWIW I got the dreaded "bong" a few years ago in my 1 Series on RFTs, but as it was snowing I just drove the 5 miles to home and parked it!

Checked pressures the next morning and the punctured tyre was down to 14 psi - by looking at it you really wouldn't have known it had a puncture!

Anyway I pumped it right up and drove straight to a local tyre shop, and they did me a repair for £10! Result - the tyre had only done 13K miles, but went on to do another 11K!

Just as a heads-up - don't be told RFTs can't be repaired, they can so long as the hole isn't at the edge of the tread or in the side-wall or too big! And the tyre hasn't been driven flat or under-inflated for any distance.

I can't see where you are, but I can recommend a firm in West Surrey if that is any use.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Johnbmwz4

The dreaded bong

Post by Johnbmwz4 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:02 pm

Mr Tidy wrote:
Johnbmwz4 wrote:
FWIW I got the dreaded "bong" a few years ago in my 1 Series on RFTs, but as it was snowing I just drove the 5 miles to home and parked it!

Checked pressures the next morning and the punctured tyre was down to 14 psi - by looking at it you really wouldn't have known it had a puncture!

Anyway I pumped it right up and drove straight to a local tyre shop, and they did me a repair for £10! Result - the tyre had only done 13K miles, but went on to do

another 11K!

Just as a heads-up - don't be told RFTs can't be repaired, they can so long as the hole isn't at the edge of the tread or in the side-wall or too big! And the tyre hasn't been driven flat or under-inflated for any distance.

I can't see where you are, but I can recommend a firm in West Surrey if that is any use.
Thanks, I'm from Leeds but have a decent garage I can rely on not to rip me off

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

The dreaded bong

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:24 pm

Johnbmwz4 wrote:
Thanks, I'm from Leeds but have a decent garage I can rely on not to rip me off
Good - most tyre places just want to sell them, not offer a service!

If you do find a tyre that has little pressure in it make sure you get some air in it before you drive to the garage.

But I forgot to mention the upside - my first Z4 would "bong" sometimes when I used it for the first time in a week or so, and I would find one tyre just a few psi down on what it should be. I pumped it up, reset the TPMS and used the car as planned with no issues. After 3 or 4 occasions it stopped happening, but I checked that tyre anyway and it was never below pressure. I can only guess there may have been some dirt in the valve or the dust cap?

But I was grateful for the "bong" as it warned me of a potential problem before it got serious. :lol:
Coupes because stunning!
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Johnbmwz4

The dreaded bong

Post by Johnbmwz4 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:25 pm

Johnbmwz4 wrote:
mr wilks wrote:
Hi well went to the garage today as havent used the car since the bong. The passenger side front had only 6psi in it. Not good but it didn't look any different inflated wise than the rest of the tyres. What bothers me is that the car didn't bong when I got in the car or even have a warning sign on the dash even though the psi was only 6. I'm assuming all works ok as when I check the system all is ok and active. Anyway filled it up and initialized the system so will keep a close eye on it. I had tyre pressure issues with my E85 which had non run flats but whenever that had low pressure on a tyre which was around once a month (on different tyres too) it never let me forget ,every time I got in it bonged.

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

The dreaded bong

Post by mr wilks » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:32 pm

Johnbmwz4 wrote:
Johnbmwz4 wrote:
mr wilks wrote:
Hi well went to the garage today as havent used the car since the bong. The passenger side front had only 6psi in it. Not good but it didn't look any different inflated wise than the rest of the tyres. What bothers me is that the car didn't bong when I got in the car or even have a warning sign on the dash even though the psi was only 6. I'm assuming all works ok as when I check the system all is ok and active. Anyway filled it up and initialized the system so will keep a close eye on it. I had tyre pressure issues with my E85 which had non run flats but whenever that had low pressure on a tyre which was around once a month (on different tyres too) it never let me forget ,every time I got in it bonged.
6psi :cry: not good :( how many miles have you covered since the TPMS went off ?
If any distance like 50/100 or even more miles then you may want to have it removed & inspected as a runflat tyre once ran flat can be damaged inside although it won't show signs on the outside
Once the tyre is off if there is a fine black rubber dust inside this is usually a sign that the tyre has been creased where the wall meets the tread shoulder & is obviously then weakened at that point
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti