Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Wonky Headlight

Chuffer

Wonky Headlight

Post by Chuffer » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:11 pm

Has anyone ever had this problem? At the last Mot I had to have my headlights adjusted downwards as they weren't showing between the lines on the box they put in front to test them. When I went out at night then they only lit up the first 15 feet in front of the car so I adjusted them back to where they were (roughly). No one flashed at me when on dip so I assumed they were ok. Just put the car in for it's 20k service and asked them to check the headlight adjustment (I'd decided the guy at my local Mot garage had made a mistake). Later when I picked up the car from the main dealer and asked about the headlights he asked if the car had been in a crash! I said no, I was the second owner, bought from a main dealer with 8k on the clock. He then showed me the problem on the 'box' the Mot testers use. Instead of the dip beam showing a horizontal line it is angled up by about 5 degrees on the RHS and to get all of the line to comply they have to be screwed right down. To adjust this internally means taking off the front bumper and removing the lights and will cost £1,000 +. I've looked at the self levelling bit and that all works fine, it seems to me that where the light is fixed it just needs moving up on one side probably about 1mm or less. I've not come across anyone else with this problem and my thoughts are that it was there from day one when the car was built. It was under a five year service pack and now that has expired the problem comes to light. What does anyone else think? what is the best plan from here?