Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Handbrake failure

Pandyman

Handbrake failure

Post by Pandyman » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:48 pm

Hi all,

First post on here, but my 2010 e89 has tonight suffered an issue with its electronic hand brake.

The sypmtoms are that the brake will not re-engage following me releasing it, obviously I can still park it up in gear but not ideal.
Unfortunately cannot get to a computer till tomorrow, and cant seem to crack uploading images off my phone (not the newest of phones)

Warning lights have come on the dash:
Exclamation mark in a circle (!) Adjacent to a 'P' in a circle (P). Can drive around fine however it reminds me whenever I switch the ignition on (as well as helpfully reminding me the park brake isnt engaged when switching the ignition off)

Seperate to this but while trying to diagnose the problem via a code checker, I had a yellow battery warning, not sure if these are connected. The code checker could not detect any codes as it wasnt compatible.

Apologies for the lack of images, will endever to supply these, though any help in the mean time is greatly appreciated.
Cheers

metal licker
Lifer
Lifer

Handbrake failure

Post by metal licker » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:53 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum :thumbsup:
Could need a software update - viewtopic.php?f=45&t=85788&hilit=Handbrake+failure
718 4.0 GTS Boxster in YELLOW :driving:
718 Guards Red Boxster .........Gone!
A35 AMG saloon .........Gone!
JCW ...........Gone !
E89 35i Msport VO ................Gone !
E89 23i SE DSB ................Gone !

Hello to Jason Isaacs

Pandyman

Handbrake failure

Post by Pandyman » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:43 pm

Many thanks for the auick response and the helpful link, looks like the same issue, not sure how I didnt find that post myself!

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Handbrake failure

Post by flybobbie » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:37 pm

I see you have a 2010 plate.
My 2009 plate car I bought at 3 years old and 1 years later was called back for a software update.
About the same time my friends 2012 plate was also called back.
Why not go to BMW and ask if you car was called back about 3 years ago for a update.
If not they might reprogram free.

update 7/12, ignore this, her park brake has just failed!