Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Electronic Parking Brake Failure

TONYMOR

Post by TONYMOR » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:33 am

I wonder . Rumour has it that the zed 5 ( if it is to be called) is going to have a canvas roof. Word is that the E89 folding metal roof had been unreliable ( so far I've been lucky) and costing BMW dearly with warranty claims , maybe fabric less comprehensive in moving mechanicals?

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:54 pm

TONYMOR wrote:I wonder . Rumour has it that the zed 5 ( if it is to be called) is going to have a canvas roof. Word is that the E89 folding metal roof had been unreliable ( so far I've been lucky) and costing BMW dearly with warranty claims , maybe fabric less comprehensive in moving mechanicals?
I don't think for one moment the e89 roof was more troublesome than the flooding e85 roof motors, look at all the instances just on this forum!
I think the fabric roof being a lot cheaper may have something to do with it :o
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

jmb

Post by jmb » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:09 pm

Not wanting to resurrect a hugely old topic, but mine did this today.
Drove to work this morning, no problems, Came back out to the car at 4pm to go home and got the bong. The brake did release ok, but now the switch does nothing and it won't re-engage (better than being stuck on I guess).

I guess I'll need to call the dealer and take it in. I do have the extended warranty although I forget the excess I picked. I wonder about the battery thing as occasionally I get a "low battery" dong a few seconds after switching the engine off (if I don't then get out and lock it up) although it's not done that recently.

Mind you, I'm using the car less these days now there's a train I can get to work.

geordie_zed

Post by geordie_zed » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:20 am

jmb wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:09 pm Not wanting to resurrect a hugely old topic, but mine did this today.
How bizarre - I just had the same problem too!

Had the car back at the dealer I got it from (Volkswagen in Newcastle) to fix up a few bits from when I bought it a few weeks back - went to pick it up and opened the door to a warning bong and no EPB! They'd driven it from the workshop to the carpark with no issue.

They put it on the diags and it said brake electronic power imbalance or something ... as they had put a warranty on the car they needed to sort it so they gave me a Tiguan to get home and took it over to BMW garage who further diagnosed it with the same result and said that the battery was low so they gave it a super charge and that got rid of the problem ...

Very impressed with the level of service from the dealer! And hopefully the problem is fixed - will see this weekend when I get a chance to get out ...
==============================================
EEK my MPG is currently: Image

geordie_zed

Post by geordie_zed » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:41 am

geordie_zed wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:20 am
jmb wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:09 pm Not wanting to resurrect a hugely old topic, but mine did this today.
How bizarre - I just had the same problem too!

Had the car back at the dealer I got it from (Volkswagen in Newcastle) to fix up a few bits from when I bought it a few weeks back - went to pick it up and opened the door to a warning bong and no EPB! They'd driven it from the workshop to the carpark with no issue.

They put it on the diags and it said brake electronic power imbalance or something ... as they had put a warranty on the car they needed to sort it so they gave me a Tiguan to get home and took it over to BMW garage who further diagnosed it with the same result and said that the battery was low so they gave it a super charge and that got rid of the problem ...

Very impressed with the level of service from the dealer! And hopefully the problem is fixed - will see this weekend when I get a chance to get out ...
:( got in Saturday morning to take the bairn to football and all fine - then first stop and bong bong bong ... orange (P) on the dash ...

Have dropped it back at the dealer again for more diagnostics this week while I'm at work ...

Anyone know if this could simply be the battery is near the end of it's useable life ?

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:06 am

Well replace battery, won't do any harm.
About £160ish and coded at Halfords.

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:24 am

Is there a common denominator with all these e-brake problems?
Like have all the cars recently been to BMW for a service before the problems started?
Or have they all hit a similar mileage?
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

jmb

Post by jmb » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:58 am

No recent service, at around 67k miles.
I'm using it a bit less often now, which may or may not be relevant, but that actually began back in June or so

geordie_zed

Post by geordie_zed » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:10 pm

Well - 1 week in the garage, 2 new actuators and 1 new EMF control unit later it is (fingers crossed!) fixed ...

Thankfully all covered under the warranty from the garage or it would have been an expensive failure !!!

thauma

Post by thauma » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:06 pm

I had a recall completed in November........ In Jan I had the low battery / excessive discharge message as the car hadn't been used very much over christmas, 2 hours later the PARKING brake failed (fortunately in the off position so I could still drive the car).

Local Indie, checked the mechanics, diagnostics etc but said it was software related and he couldn't fix it. So had to go to BMW to get it 'recoded'/reset for a hefty charge........

Dealership claim they contacted BMW, BMW claim the dealer didn't make contact. Shocking service and attitude all round....... no mechanical fault, no electrical fault, just a low battery level leading to software needing to be reset.

I'm in discussions with BMW - I'm talking they're not listening or playing ball :x

Busterboo

Post by Busterboo » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:41 pm

TONYMOR wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:33 am Word is that the E89 folding metal roof had been unreliable ...
Which word is that, then? And who said it?
Vidi, vici, veni

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:43 pm

Looks like we are now the latest victim of this problem.
Washed the car today and swapped the wheels. Later when we went to move it back into the garage the e-brake would not work and the warning is on the dash.
The low battery situation that everybody else mentions seems to be the common denominator as ours gave us a low battery warning last week. How this manages to screw up the handbrake is anybodys guess.
I agree with what has already been said and there should have been a recall on this as its a safety issue.
Oh well, need to wait until Monday and get it booked in to the indy for a new battery and hope they can sort the software too.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:49 pm

Nictrix wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:43 pm Looks like we are now the latest victim of this problem.
Washed the car today and swapped the wheels. Later when we went to move it back into the garage the e-brake would not work and the warning is on the dash.
The low battery situation that everybody else mentions seems to be the common denominator as ours gave us a low battery warning last week. How this manages to screw up the handbrake is anybodys guess.
I agree with what has already been said and there should have been a recall on this as its a safety issue.
Oh well, need to wait until Monday and get it booked in to the indy for a new battery and hope they can sort the software too.
I’m still waiting for Carly to incorporate the ebrake functions into the app, not sure if even that’s going to be the answer as it’s capable of recalibrating the system but not actually re writing the software?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:08 pm

Checked the battery last night. 11.9v.
After a full charge its reading 12.3v.
Its obviously on its way out but would probably survive quite a while before giving up.
It just shows that this fault can appear with just a small drop in battery power.
The car battery has never been dead either.

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:39 pm

Sorted.
New battery and software update.